What are the five levels of PPAP?

H

hkrishnan1983

Hi Elsmar team members,

To me, the PPAP is the evidence for part approval process.

As we know there are 5 levels of PPAP...

Level 1: PSW with Appearance approval report. it is applicable for non critical product.

Whether the level 1 PPAP is applicable only for appearance part? Not functional part?

Level 2: PSW with product sample and limited supporting data specified by customer. Applicable for bulk material like painting, plastics, special fasteners…

Can we ask level 2 PPAP for plastic raw material suppliers like Basell, Dupont?

Level 3: PSW with product sample and complete supporting data specified by customer

Ya, we know it is default level. but can we use level 3 PPAP for safety critical products like brake system, fuel tanks???

Level 4: PSW and other requirements as mentioned by customer.
what does it mean level 4 PPAP? whenwe can go for level 4 PPAP? pls share specific answer.

Level 5: PSW with product sample and complete supporting data reviewed at supplier mfg location

Is it applicable for only safety critical products? am i right?

Pls share your right views.

Thanks a lot, Harikrishnan

H

hkrishnan1983

Hi Elsmar team members,

Level 1: PSW with Appearance approval report. it is applicable for non critical product.

Whether the level 1 PPAP is applicable only for appearance part? Not functional part?

Level 2: PSW with product sample and limited supporting data specified by customer. Applicable for bulk material like painting, plastics, special fasteners…

Level 3: PSW with product sample and complete supporting data specified by customer

Ya, we know it is default level. but can we use level 3 PPAP for safety critical products like brake system, fuel tanks???

what does it mean level 4 PPAP? whenwe can go for level 4 PPAP? pls share specific answer.

Level 5: PSW with product sample and complete supporting data reviewed at supplier mfg location

Hi,

Can anybody answer?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi Elsmar team members,

PPAP submission level is at the discretion of the customer. There are no rules or even guidelines as to which level to use in a given situation. Regardless of the submission level, the supplier is obligated to complete all of the applicable elements and retain the ones that aren't submitted. PPAP level pertains only to what's submitted, not to what's actually performed.

H

hkrishnan1983

Jim,

Thanks for your valuable input.Yes, the Level of PPAP pertains to our customer expectation...

I agree with you....

My question is, in what basis our customers are assigning PPAP levels?

Is it belongs to critical, non-critical, bulk materials & appearance criteria?

Pls clarify my doubts...

FYI:
In my present company, we are mfg plastic fuel tanks to automotive customers like Ford, GM & VW...This commodity is coming under power train products.It is safety critical product. The severity of this product is 9 & 10.

My customers are doing level 5 PPAP with us... They are witnessing PTR(Production trial run, i.e, PPAP run) and evaluating mfg and quality capability. Based on that, they are signing of the PSW.

Waiting for your valuable feedback.

Thanks, Hari

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Jim,

Thanks for your valuable input.Yes, the Level of PPAP pertains to our customer expectation...

I agree with you....

My question is, in what basis our customers are assigning PPAP levels?

Is it belongs to critical, non-critical, bulk materials & appearance criteria?

Pls clarify my doubts...

FYI:
In my present company, we are mfg plastic fuel tanks to automotive customers like Ford, GM & VW...This commodity is coming under power train products.It is safety critical product. The severity of this product is 9 & 10.

My customers are doing level 5 PPAP with us... They are witnessing PTR(Production trial run, i.e, PPAP run) and evaluating mfg and quality capability. Based on that, they are signing of the PSW.

Waiting for your valuable feedback.

Thanks, Hari

Your customers will assign whatever submission level they feel is appropriate, for whatever reasons they deem appropriate. There are no general rules. If you want to know why one customer does level 5 and another one does 3 or 4, you have to ask the customers.

In general, if a customer wants to do a level 5 (documentation reviewed at the supplier's facility) it probably means they perceive a relatively high level of risk.

H

hkrishnan1983

Ok Jim,

Finally, i understood from you that there is no rule to define PPAP levels...

We can decide based on our customer expectation.

Thanks, Hari

H

hkrishnan1983

Al Dyer,

Pls answer to my below queries...

In what basis, our customers are fixing PPAP levels?

is it depends on product commodity?

if yes, can we do level 3 PPAP for safety critical product?

Also, Give me one perfect example for level 2 & level 4 PPAP....

Pls answer....

Thanks, Hari

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Al Dyer,

Pls answer to my below queries...

In what basis, our customers are fixing PPAP levels?

is it depends on product commodity?

You would have to ask your customers that question, as I said earlier. We have no way of knowing what an individual customer might use as criteria for assigning PPAP submission levels. And once again, the submission level pertains only to the documentation that gets submitted to the customer, not to the documentation that the supplier must produce and retain.

if yes, can we do level 3 PPAP for safety critical product?
The PPAP submission level you use depends on what the customer requires. If you're the customer, you can make the decision. A Level 3 PPAP includes all of the relevant elements, so if you want all of that documentation, that's what you should ask for. In general, Level 3 is the default.

Also, Give me one perfect example for level 2 & level 4 PPAP....
There are no perfect examples to give. Often level 2 is used for PPAPs submitted after initial approval, such as those for engineering changes, or supplier process changes. Level 4 is "a la carte," where the customer chooses from the "menu" of elements. It will involve some sort of written notice from the customer as to the elements that must be submitted. Level 4 might be used in any situation, and for any type of product.

Last edited:
S

ssz102

yes, i agree with Jim commentary

the level of PPAP are submit to customer depend on the customer requirments, meanwhile, the best way is that all of requirements have done by your and put it on the production line to customer pick it up at any time during visit your factory

Top Bottom