What are the Key Principles of ISO 14001?

D

duthie135

I have been able to identify the generally recognised key principles for ISO 9001 (Customer Focus, Provide leadership, Take a process approach etc.) and for OHSAS 18001 (Leadership Involvement, Risk Management, Commitment to Compliance etc.), but have not been able to identify such for ISO 14001. Can anyone assist/provide?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
Similar to 18001 but add aspects and impacts. The deployment of ISO 14001 becomes tricky if you are not in a very regulated environment as folks normally have the tendency to "lock-down" on regulated items. The standard expects you to go beyond it.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Starts with Prevention of pollution and conservation of natural resources
WITH
Leadership Involvement, Risk Management, Commitment to Compliance etc.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here are a few slides from an ISO 14001 presentation I do - I hope they help.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I have been able to identify the generally recognised key principles for ISO 9001 (Customer Focus, Provide leadership, Take a process approach etc.) and for OHSAS 18001 (Leadership Involvement, Risk Management, Commitment to Compliance etc.), but have not been able to identify such for ISO 14001. Can anyone assist/provide?

duthie,

For leaders to ensure their business management system continually improves the way their organization prevents pollution during the design of its services, products, processes and by-products, its purchasing (up and down the supply chain) and in the planning and conduct of its other operations.

ISO 14001 requires lot more than mere compliance with legal requirements.

John

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Very clearly stated in the "INTRODUCTION"

This International Standard specifies requirements for an environmental management system to enable an organization to develop and implement a policy and objectives which take into account legal requirements and
information about significant environmental aspects

D

duthie135

Thank you all for the comments. What I have concluded is a combination of 18001 principles with specific links to prevention of pollution etc.

Top Bottom