What are the pros and cons of working with gage pins?

H

haueyman

We manufacture heads and blocks for a company and it is rough machining. We are going to be running parts that will not be able to be tested through our in line air gage.:( So we are looking into alternative ways of checking the parts besides laying them out on our CMM. One way is using gage pins. :confused:

We will machine the parts back to the cast locators. But once we have machined the parts we will need to check them on a random sampling. I am looking for some input on how can I acheive our goal, making good parts?

Does any one have any suggestions, been there done that sort of thing? :frust:

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
We work with Gauge Pins all the time.
I'm still relatively new here but here are my impessions

Positives: fast, more foolproof than a hand caliper for a quick check

Negatives: easy to lose if you use them on the floor, expensive to calibrate if you own a whole set - apparently we just buy a new set every two years, ours are only .001" increments so "measuring" with them will only give us that resolution

Question to anyone else reading this thread:

How do you do a gauge R&R with pins? Would that be considered an attribute gauge R&R or can you, indeed, measure with them?

H

haueyman

Discordian;Positives: fast said:
See the problem is I really have never used gage pins. Our shop is completly automated which in this situation is going to be useless. And maybe gage pins is not the right application. I need to check a few surfaces back to a dowel hole. Would a gauge pin be best in this application? :confused:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Discordian;Positives: fast said:
See the problem is I really have never used gage pins. Our shop is completly automated which in this situation is going to be useless. And maybe gage pins is not the right application. I need to check a few surfaces back to a dowel hole. Would a gauge pin be best in this application? :confused:
I guess I'm not exactly understanding the application.
can you attach a quickie sketch?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you elect to use pin gages, remember.....they bend, break, and will expand as you hold them.....they should be calibrated by an accredited lab that reports the uncertainty so you know what the error for each pin is.....

But they are fast....

Hershal

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
We manufacture heads and blocks for a company and it is rough machining. We are going to be running parts that will not be able to be tested through our in line air gage.:( So we are looking into alternative ways of checking the parts besides laying them out on our CMM. One way is using gage pins. :confused:

We will machine the parts back to the cast locators. But once we have machined the parts we will need to check them on a random sampling. I am looking for some input on how can I acheive our goal, making good parts?

Does any one have any suggestions, been there done that sort of thing? :frust:

Thanks
Whether or not pins will work depends on what you need to know. If it's simply an issue of clearance (something with an OD of size x must fit through a hole of size y, e.g.) pins will work fine. If you need to know anything about the geometric characteristics of the holes--roundness, cynlindricity, e.g.--pins won't help. Also, if you need relatively precise information regarding size and shape, you'll be better off with a bore gage.

H

haueyman

We have a bore gage for the hole which is not the problem. I need to measure some surface back to that hole. And I want to make sure I am 1. spending my time and money wisely 2. having the parts measured correctly.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
We have a bore gage for the hole which is not the problem. I need to measure some surface back to that hole. And I want to make sure I am 1. spending my time and money wisely 2. having the parts measured correctly.
So you want to use the pin just to locate the center of the hole? In other words, you want to stick a pin in the hole and then measure from the pin to some other feature (or vice-versa)? Like with a height gage?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Barcode Pros and Cons: GS1 versus HIBC Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
K What are the Pros and Cons of Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 1
JoCam ESD Flooring vs. Concrete - Pros and Cons Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V Corporate Quality Management System - Structure, Pros and Cons? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R Recognition Programs for Good Suppliers - Pros and Cons Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
GStough Internal Audit Checklist as a Controlled Document - Pros and Cons Internal Auditing 19
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
E Should FDA implement 3rd party (PMAs) reviews? What are the pros and cons of doing so Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
W Pros and Cons of continued ISO 17025 accreditation ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q Pros and Cons of Duplicating Documents & Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Jeff Putman Multi-Division QMS Certification - Pros & Cons IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
somashekar Definition SMOI (Supplier Managed Owned Inventory) delivery terms - Pros and Cons Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
V Pros and Cons of integrating ISO 14001 and ISO 9001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
Marc Glossy Screen Pros and Cons After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
T Pros and Cons of Combined TS 16949 and ISO 14001 Audits General Auditing Discussions 3
A ISO 9001 Registration Pros and Cons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
J Pros and cons for combining ISO 14001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
P Portable CMM, new purchase: PROs and Cons General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Ford Q-1 Pros and Cons Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
R Rework by Inspectors - Pros and cons of a quality inspector also doing rework? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
G ISO 9001 Procedures: Flowchart vs. Text - Pros and Cons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Understanding of, and Pros and Cons of, 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
R Registrar Audit Frequency - Pros and Cons of a 1 year vs a 6 month frequency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Informational US FDA – Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs) in Medical Device Decision Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc SAS vs. R vs. Python: Which Tool Do Analytics Pros Prefer? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
BradM Calling all Regression Analysis Pros! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Quality Pros? Salaries on the Upswing, ASQ Salary Survey Says Career and Occupation Discussions 4
A Cons and Flaws in AAMI 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Experience working with TUV SUD or Rheinland, and/or BSI Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
M Informational TGA-led IMDRF Personalised Medical Devices working group meets in Canberra Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Applicability of Means of Protection, working voltage in an Automated External Defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
E Feeling ill when working with adhesives Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T IEC60601-1: Isolation for an applied part with working voltage of 1500Vp. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Rameshwar25 Min working experience for IATF 16949 third party auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J AS9100 - Working Outside of Scope of Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S ISO 13485 Cl. 6.2 Human Resources - Personnel working within the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Working for multiple CB's (Certification Bodies) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17