What are the Requirements for Management Representative?

J

jmp4429

I did a search on this already, but didn’t really find anything that answers my question. What are the requirements for a management rep? According to the standard, the management rep must be a “member of management.” How exactly do we define management? At my old job, all engineers were considered management (as was anyone else who wasn't part of the union).

I ask because in the past, the manager of my department has run the TS program and been the management rep. Our quality manual states that the manager of my department is the MR. However, we've gotten a new department manager, and I was recently hired on as the “TS Guru” and now run the system.

As it stands, I present to top management during our management reviews, I run the program, and I find and communicate the issues that need to be fixed. Basically, my manager has a rough idea what’s going on with the QMS based on how much I tell him (not that I hide things, I just don't have to ask permission to use the ladies room or change a procedure). I don’t exactly have the “authority” to ensure the QMS is followed, but then again, neither does my boss. However, I can shout loud enough that the people who can make stuff happen get done what I need done.

Technically, I perform the duties of the management rep, but don’t have the title. I couldn’t care less about having the title, but my concern is that during our external audit, the auditor will ask my boss questions about the system that he can’t answer, and he’ll refer them to me. Is this a problem?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Because the standard provides no definition of "member of management," the door is open to circular logic: the management representative must be a member of management, and being management representative qualifies one as being a member of management. In answer to your question, if your boss can't answer questions directly, but knows how to find the answers, there shouldn't be a problem.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

jmp4429 said:
Technically, I perform the duties of the management rep, but don’t have the title. I couldn’t care less about having the title, but my concern is that during our external audit, the auditor will ask my boss questions about the system that he can’t answer, and he’ll refer them to me. Is this a problem?
I don't see this as a problem. I suggest that you thoroughly brief your boss before audit time, so he knows what's going on with the system -- problem areas, open corrective/preventive actions, significant changes (in case he forgot) to procedures and processes.

Good luck!

--Jodi

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Management refers to the type of work you do- i.e. managerial it does not mean that you actually have to be a member of management as long as you can fulfil the requirements.
According to the ISO interpretations here
http://www.tc176.org/Interpre.asp
Clause 5.5.2 - RFI-027 Posted 2003-01-31
ISO 9001:2000 Interpretation Reference RFI – 027
ISO/TC 176 N752
Request: ISO 9001:2000 Clause(s:) 5.5.2
In our organization we have a management representative appointed by top management, who
works for the company in a managerial capacity. He is not a permanent member of staff, but
works full-time on a contract basis. Is it allowable under the standard, for such a person to act
as the organization’s management representative?
Interpretation: Yes
There is no reason that this should not apply to TS and I have in fact used it successfully during a TS audit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Changes in ISO9001:2015 to the requirements for a management representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Management Representative Requirements and Responsibilities Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9001 - 5.5.2 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W MR (Management Representative) Requirements and Responsibilites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9k2k Clause 5.5.2a interpretation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
P Responsibility and Document Management Requirements for Management Representative IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Management Representative ensures the promotion of awareness of customer requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Sidney Vianna ISO 37301 - Compliance management systems – Requirements with guidance for use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
J Gauge Management - with ambiguous requirements & no support ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Risk Management Report as per MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J IATF 16949 container management requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier Management - Supplier Tooling Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
T IATF 16949 Quality Management System (QMS) Scope Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
R Document Management Software : Validation and other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
M Requirements of the quality management system - TS 16949 clause 5.6.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
somashekar Applying legal requirements in hazardous waste management. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K Understanding Risk Management Requirements according to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M EN 62304 and Quality Management System Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
I Contingency Plan that meets requirements of API Q1 Quality Management System Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
C ISO 13485 - Documented Requirements for Risk Management ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
somashekar What are the ISO 13485 documented requirements for Risk Management? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A Risk Management - HIRARC Form Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
E ISO 14971:2009 Risk Management Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Supplier Management Requirements - AS9100 vs. ISO13485 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D CAPA FDA Requirements and Guidance related to the Risk Management File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
O Are the ISO and CE requirements same as FDA for a Quality Management System? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
B ISM Code (International Safety Management Code) Requirements and ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Quality Management System Documentation Language Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D ISO 17025 and Calibration Laboratory Risk Management Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
N Legal Requirements for a Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Implementation and Management of Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
C ISO 14971 Clause 9 Requirements - Post-Production Monitoring and Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
K Configuration Management - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S TS 16949 Clause 5.6 - Management Review Requirements - Without a meeting? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M ITIL vs. ISO 20000 Change Management Requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
E Compliance with AS9100 Rev C Risk Management Purchasing Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Randy ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems - Requirements Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 29
M Management Review Input and Output Content Requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
S What's the meaning of "Quality Management System Requirements" in 7.4.2 (c)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Special 510k for Data Management Software Document Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
C Configuration Management requirements if this facility is not design responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O Management Review Inputs and Outputs - AS9100 Registration Audit Requirements Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
M Requirements management for a very small medical SW company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
A ISO 9001 Project Management and Risk Analysis Requirements - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13