What are the specifications required in the preparation of a calibration laboratory?

F

FIRAS_N

Hello everybody ....
this the first thread for mine and i happy to share with u.
few days ago i decided to prepare a laboratory in my company to calibrate and test electronic scales and balances so i bought the iso/iec17025:2005 standard and read it. in the accredtitation stage we need to prepare the lab and implement the standard and quality manual. but i want to ask what is the specifications required and needed to prepare the lab? furthermore, my lab is now without palace, painter, electric sources, windows,etc. if anyone have electronic scales calibration lab can tell/give me links, files, photos for the laboratory, help me in the preparation of the lab, i think that necessary to prepare it with a standard specification.and what is the equipement necessary for the calibration methods for the electronic scales and balances?
sorry if my thread is repititve.

with my best rigards
Firas_N

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: What are the specifications required in the preparation of a calibration laborato

Firas,

Welcome to the Cove! We greatly welcome your question.

First, if you have not conducted the search already, this is a very popular question. I am hoping that you have searched the other threads on the Elsmar Cove to ascertain a basic understanding of your query.

Any metrology laboratory will make every effort to minimize undue influences to measurements being made. Saying, temperature and humidity should be tightly controlled. To what extent will depend on what specification you will attempt to follow. You will want a measurement method to assure temp/RH are not unduly influencing your measurements. Other factors like noise, electrical noise, vibration, air handling units, air flow within the lab, and the like are considerations also.

As far as the general items, you will want to consider things like adequate lighting, high purity air and vacuum sources, regulated/isolate power supplies, low voltage supplies, calibration-grade ice machine (if you are doing temperature calibrations) etc. Understanding, every item may not be mandatory, but just some general items.

Analytical balances have many environmental influences, including vibration, temp/RH effects, etc. If you can install granite tables or the like, this can assist in leveling, minimize vibration, and changes due to things being sat on counter-tops, etc.

Depending on what accuracy requirement you have for the balances will determine what class weights you will have to look at. You will want at least two sets, so you can keep them alternating while one is being calibrated.

Are you going to have floor scales? how is the item to be measured going to be placed on the floor scale? Is there adequate room for an external vendor to place weights and all on the floor scales?

Depending on where you are, there are professionals who are good at cleanroom construction/ certification. They can provide much needed assistance.

These are a few things that came to mind. There are some real pros here; they will probably add some valuable information for you.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: What are the specifications required in the preparation of a calibration laborato

Welcome to the Cove.....

I recommend going to

http://www.ncsli.org

They have a Recommended Practice (RP) that tells one how to set up a calibration lab.....it covers almost everything.....

The other thing is your uncertainty budgets.....there are a number of influences to consider for scales and balances that do not apply to anything else.....local acceleration of gravity, essentricity, and bouyancy just to name a few.....

Hope this helps.

Hershal

F

FIRAS_N

hello,

thank you Mr. BradM & Hershal for your reply, it is useful.

but i want to ask about the instruments and the equipments that are necessary for the calibration laboratory of balances and scales for different uses?

if there are certain instruments please tell me about it.
because now i want it to complete the finishing of my lab, unfortunitlly that the legal body i deal have a few experiance about the subject.

if u have photos or list of the instruments, help me.
thank you
with my best regards

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource

For scales and balances, you will need weights, also sometimes called mass standards. The range that you will need depends on the scope of calibration you intend to offer. If you go to Google and type in mass standards or type in weights you should be presented with numerous suppliers. I recommend finding one that is an accredited supplier and make sure you get the certificate issued under their accreditation.

You mentioned in your first posting that you will need accreditation, and you will need the accredited certificate for the weights for that.

Also, depending on your country (where the lab is), you will need to select your accrediting body, if it is not a Government mandated body. To find the accrediting bodies, go to:

http://www.ilac.org

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Top Bottom