What are your thoughts on my NPD (New Product Development) process map?

5Sway

Hi guys (and gals!)

This is my first post on here, so go easy!!

Attached is my current project - a managed NPD process.

It is designed to show top levels the critical steps, possible roadblocks etc, and lower levels the department inputs and outputs required.

It's a work in progress, so there is more to be added, in terms of timeframes, review steps, and hold periods.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, good and bad (I'm a big boy and can take it, I think!)

TIA,

Sam

Attachments

• VSM NPD Future State DRAFT.jpg
    VSM NPD Future State DRAFT.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,011
P

Phiobi

Re: What are your thoughts on my NPD process map?

When I open it I can't zoom in enough to read it. Looks nice and pretty though.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Same here. I can't read any of the text.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi guys (and gals!)

This is my first post on here, so go easy!!

Attached is my current project - a managed NPD process.

It is designed to show top levels the critical steps, possible roadblocks etc, and lower levels the department inputs and outputs required.

It's a work in progress, so there is more to be added, in terms of timeframes, review steps, and hold periods.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, good and bad (I'm a big boy and can take it, I think!)

TIA,

Sam

Sam,

Can you attach the Pdf file, so that we can (enlarge it) and view?

Thanks.

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Me too.
I could be usefull to have il in ppt or in word/ xls file

5Sway

Sorry guys, didn't check the legibility...

Here's a pdf that you can zoom into and view the detail.

Bear in mind the finished article is 8 pages of A3 paper joined together!!

Attachments

• VSM NPD Future State DRAFT.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 660
D

DrM2u

Well, it looks like a good systematic approach to new product development. I find the flow diagram easy to read (once able to zoom in) and to follow. I cannot comment to its effectiveness but I am sure the ones involved in following theprocess will be able to provide you with valuable feedback. At a first glance it seems like some steps could take place simultaneously (i.e. lab testing and packaging development). Also I am not sure if you are tied or not to a specific laboratory for testing but I would be more generic. Overall, I like what you have done and I believe it is a fine example of applying process-thinking.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hello Sam,:bigwave:Welcome to the cove:bigwave:

Very good first post, and don't have to be sorry, it happens sometimes not only with new bies but with the old covers as well.

You have used 8 pages of A3 paper :mg: The Japs will kill you for being extravagant (Japs use only one A3 paper to show everything on it)!!

Don't take it to heart, I was just kidding.;)

Your effort is very good considering being the first. There are experts on the cove, who will be able to provide useful guidance to you on this.

Umang :D

G

Groo3

Nice flow diagram... From what I could see, the only piece that appears to be weak is with the "validation" against planned arrangements. Where in your pre-launch are you validating against the hand produced sample? Other than that, nice process flow diagram.
:2cents:

By way of comparisson, we utilize a phase gate process. This is mainly a means of authorizing which projects we should work on and which are not priorities or do not make sense at this time.
Phase Gate.gif

For us, our concepts are typically determined by our Marketing group interacting with our customers (the voice of the customer at its finest). A concept will be further evaluated / developed by our R&D group to determine what planned arrangements are to be targeted (the original design concept). Lab work will be performed by our R&D to determine how to manufacture to the planned arrangements. Once the lab work has been shown to be successful, scale-up work will further verify the lab work, followed by full-scale production to validate the new product. Along the way, our Marketing group is involved in reviewing product samples with our customers to further validate the new product.

AndyN

Moved On

It appears to me to be a "good idea", but I'm pretty sure it's just the 'logic' of doing the NPD, not the actual process. What I mean by that is, for example, in the initial phase, what criteria do people use to gauge if it's a 'good idea'?

At a certain UK company I once worked as the Design Assurance Manager and a similar NPD flow was created. Trouble was it didn't work, because a lot of suggestions had little research or marketing information, so they were just a 'good idea'. It would seem to me that some of the later considerations could be included and brought to the table with the idea that if the NP meets the criteria, the chances are you're going to get them approved.

Top Bottom