SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

What bad grammar in posts annoys you most?

I've always wanted to know what poor grammar etc. in posts people find annoying. There are many, I'm sure, and notwithstanding posters for whom English is a second language, what are yours?

Here's few to get started (don't get me started);)

Here - hear
There - their - they're
Your - you're
Do - due (is this an exclusively US thing?):notme:

Now you........

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
I've always wanted to know what poor grammar etc. in posts people find annoying. There are many, I'm sure, and notwithstanding posters for whom English is a second language, what are yours?

Here's few to get started (don't get me started);)

Here - hear
There - their - they're
Your - you're
Do - due (is this an exclusively US thing?):notme:

Now you........
Its - it's
Subject and verb not agreeing is another one of mine.

And it isn't just in posts here, but these things bother me anywhere I see them.

Last edited:

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
It's not grammar per se. Posts written similar to a text message, no caps, virtually no punctuation, irritate me to no end....

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
For those having problems with grammar, you might want to consults "Trigg's Rules of Grammar". ;)

1. Make sure each pronoun agrees with their antecedent.

2. Just between you and I, the case of pronoun is important.

3. Watch out for irregular verbs which have crope into English.

4. Verbs has to agree in number with their subjects.

5. Don't use no double negatives.

6. Being bad grammar, a writer should not use dangling modifiers.

7. Join clauses good like a conjunction should.

8. A writer must not shift your point of view.

9. About sentence fragments.

10. Don't use run-on sentences you got to punctuate them.

11. In letters essays and reports use commas to separate items in series.

12. Don't use commas, which are not necessary.

13. Parenthetical words however should be enclosed in commas.

14. Its important to use apostrophes right in everybodys writing.

15. Don't abbrev.

16. Check to see if you any words out.

17. In the case of a report, check to see that jargonwise, it's A-OK.

18. As far as incomplete constructions, they are wrong.

19. About repetition, the repetition of a word
might be real effective repetition - take, for
instance the repetition of Abraham Lincoln.

20. In my opinion, I think that an author when he
is writing should definitely not get into the
habit of making use of too many unnecessary words
that he does not really need in order to put his
message across.

21. Use parallel construction not only to be concise but also clarify.

22. It behooves us all to avoid archaic expressions.

23. Mixed metaphors are a pain in the neck and ought to be weeded out.

24. Consult the dictionery to avoid mispelings.

25. To ignorantly split an infinitive is a practice to religiously avoid.

26. Last but not least, lay off clichés.

(Please note that each of these contains the grammatical or stylistic error that they are addressing! ;) )

Last edited:
R

roland_lu

For those having problems with grammar, you might want to consults "Trigg's Rules of Grammar".

2. Just between you and I, the case of pronoun is important.

Are you sure? English is my 2nd language, I often get confused with this rule, between you and me?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
i been on teh intarnets long enuf now dat nuthin bothers me.

in fact, one board I was on for a long time it was proper to use:
yuo
your and you're interchangeably
teh

I = L33t hax0r.
yuo = PWNED!!!!!!!1!!!!!!
werd

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Not all are grammar errors, but here are a few bits of sand in my craw:
  • Unnecessary "quotation" marks
  • Misplaced apostrophes (I'm eating taco's for lunch today.)
  • Misplaced modifiers (The sandwich is on the table that my wife made for lunch.)
  • Misuse of "literally" (George got angry and he literally went through the roof!)
  • Botched metaphors ("Tow the line" instead of "Toe...")

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Are you sure? English is my 2nd language, I often get confused with this rule, between you and me?
The point of the post was that ALL the so-called rules were botched within the item. You are absolutely correct about the objective case "me" being correct, but missed the subtlety of the sarcasm intended, much as the other posts with deliberate errors were intended for humorous effect.

Perhaps the original post by Tim needs a few smileys thrown in to emphasize the rules are bogus.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
qualprod Ideas to stop bad practices in daily work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
optomist1 Aircraft Cockpit Automation - Good or Bad Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 72
Q Can there be a mix of good and bad parts for a variable GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
V Inference of bad predicted-R-Sq - But very good R-Sq and Adj-R-Sq. Using Minitab Software 2
P Bad communication in construction projects are probably the biggest generators Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A How can a sample can give information about bad products in whole lot? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
D Requiring a "bad" part for attribute MSA studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Correct Sample Size for Attribute Gage R&R (Good / Bad parts) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
D MSA (Measurement System Analysis) on a Bore Measurement - Good or bad result? Six Sigma 9
T Zinc Phosphate Test Panels look bad - Need Help Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B How do you measure whether a QMS is good or bad? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
G Cpk vs. "Bad" Parts - Unreasonable Diameter Tolerance and a 1.67 Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 22
H Correcting Bad Process Habits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
B How to Correct Bad Employee Performance-Attendance and/or Tardiness Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 84
Q Employees perceive CAPA as Bad - How to cope with the situation Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
M Cost of Quality - Is it good or bad and why - Critical Review Research Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 28
I Do we need GOOD and BAD Wire Harness "Dummy" Samples? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Easy Method to Test a Caliper - Good or bad? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P VDA 6.3 - Process Audit - You think you had it bad? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 35
O How many bad parts needed for Attribute MSA? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Incentives for blowing the whistle on bad quality? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
Colin Bad news/good news day Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
J Bad driver? Blame your genes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Wes Bucey Update: State of mind during the job hunt (Good habits vs. bad habits) Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Pancho Dvorak keyboard - one cure for RSI and bad typing habits Imported Legacy Blogs 1
H My job sucks so bad Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 20
Wes Bucey Agencies and Agents - good guys or bad guys? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
R Sampling - Total probability of accepting bad lot - Producer's risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
bobdoering You know things are gettting bad: US anti-kidnapping expert kidnapped in Mexico Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T Accountability… A good word or a bad word... Imported Legacy Blogs 2
J Soldering Standard which shows good and bad soldering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Bad ISO/TS Auditors - Is it a translation problem or am I nuts? General Auditing Discussions 19
C Gauge R&R Studies Bad, but Process has a Cmk of over 7 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
I Document Control: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A Gage R&R Criteria - under 10%, %EV, %AV, %PV and Consequences of Bad GR&R. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Marc Want to Buy a Smart ForTwo? Too Bad, They're Sold Out World News 13
Wes Bucey Exit (Escape?) Strategy (Employment FMEA) - Good and Bad Experiences Career and Occupation Discussions 23
Jim Wynne Using Famous Quotations to Describe Bad Managers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
ScottK Bad Want Ads in the Paper - Add your examples Career and Occupation Discussions 3
W Auditors - Some are Good and Some are Bad General Auditing Discussions 56
L Ellsworthband - Good or bad? Software Quality Assurance 8
D How to compare Cpk and ppm (bad pieces) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S Operating programs - Good or Bad? Looking at JobBoss Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
J How to deal with an employee who has a bad attitude? - Employee Attitudes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
J Bad news for Spain. Delphi anounced yesterday the closing of Delphi Cadiz Plant World News 17
Miner Don Wheeler article on MSA - Good Data, Bad Data and Process Behavior Charts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7