What Calibration Software are you using?

J
Hey Folks,

What kind of calibration software are you using.
We are a small job shop (85 souls including office personnel)
Our products are generally not tight tolerance. (i.e. +/-.005 or less)
What would you recommend.
I need to hold the cost down.
I am currently using a self designed access based system. I could update this but don't I have the time.

All input is appreciated

James
;)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
There is a previous posting, "Scheduling Software" which describes numerous packages available. I believe the websites listed in that posting represent a pretty wide range of cost and complexity. However, as you stated that you are a small company, there are a number of ways to create a very low cost database. One very simple method I have seen from a company that only had about six or so calibrated instruments was using a spreadsheet. If you have someone knowledgeable in that area, with a little creativity and skill you could create one. I created my own a number of years ago using dBase III plus (I think it's off the market now). But a simple database program as not too difficult to learn by someone who is computer literate. Another alternative would be MS Access.

You mentioned that you don't have the time to update the system you currently have. One problem to remember when you change to a different recall system is that there will likely be significant setup and configuration time (depending on what other system you get). You may want to estimate how much time it would take to update your current system as compared to the amount of time it would take to change to another system. That is a significant factor (it appears, in your case) to be considered in whatever you do.

If you want to get really simple, a hard copy system is still considered legitimate. However, if you have to comply with any of the ISO standards or others, you'll need it to be well documented.

Could you elaborate as to why you need to update/upgrade your database you currently use?

J
Jerry,

Thanks for the input.

My current system is self made in MS access. I created it about 6 years ago to get away from a hard copy system. It was OK when we were an unregistered, 30 man shop.

Now I need to update the system to get ready for QS-9000 registration audit. With everything else I have going on I am afraid I don't have time to get it up to speed. It may be better to replace it with a dedicated program.

Thanks for the search Idea I'll do it later in the day.

James

J

John Nabors - 2009

Saw this thread in passing..

Anyone looking for an inexpensive calibration software package may want to take a look at this:

http://www.softwaretechnologytn.com/gage.php

I've used it at two different companies. If you don't have a huge number of gages in your system (say <500) and you aren't looking for a bunch of bells and whistles, for $500 it's hard to touch this one. My only reservation is that when I used it at a company with 4000+ gages in the system, I was occasionally heard to use some really bad words.

Regards -John

N

n866fandp

I have been using GAGETrak v6.5, It has lots of features, I was a little frustrated with it at first, however, after attending one of their training seminars, I am very pleased with the capabilities of the software. It will even help you to complete GR&R, and MSA studies.:agree1:

D

D.Scott

Track Pro and it is free. www.trackpro.org
Actually Track Pro isn't free. They offer a "free" (limited) single user version which will accommodate 150 entries. They charge $200 to increase the license another 150 items. After 3 licenses are purchased (presumably at a cost of $600) you get the unlimited item version.

I have also used GageTrak and it does do a lot. I gave up on it because it was very user "unfriendly". Every time we wanted to rename a field or design a form we had to call them and they would come out to do it for a considerable price. The new version 6.5 may now have user editing and access to the design view but I doubt it. I would look closely to be sure you can edit the program, whichever software you chose.

We wrote our own data base in MS Access and we have no problems with it. We have adapted it to be used on PM, internal audits, project tracking and whatever else people come up with.

My advice is to take the time to write a simple Access data base to track calibrations. You not only end up with what you want, you learn how the data base works. From there the sky is the limit on what you can do.

Dave

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
My advice is to take the time to write a simple Access data base to track calibrations. You not only end up with what you want, you learn how the data base works. From there the sky is the limit on what you can do.

Dave
I agree. Our company uses a program that was created by our IT guy using Visual Basic (VB) and Access, and it is just fine in tracking the Calibration.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Calibration Procedure for a Wavetek 9100 using Fluke Met/Calibration software Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Tracking-Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Records - List vs. Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
D Looking for Calibration Software for small company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
K Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Commercial Calibration Laboratory Software Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
S Anybody familiar with AHP Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
C The Best Calibration Management Software Recommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Gage and Calibration Software Comparisons Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
kedarg6500 Protection of Data in Calibration Software & ISO 9001 Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
M Freeware for Tool Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
G (Free) Mass Calibration Software - Calibration of Weights to UKAS Standards? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
V Has anyone used Empower (Calibration/Metrology software)? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
K What features (feature list) for free calibration software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 11
D Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
K New Calibration Software Recomendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
M Has anyone used CalWorks Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 13
8 Gage Track Calibration Software Alternatives Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
J Calibration Software - What Do You Recommend? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 7
Ron Rompen Calibration Software Recommendations? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 17
J Recommendations for Calibration Certificates/Software? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Software Validation - GageTrak Calibration Software - Please Help Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
H METCAL Software (from Fluke) used only to get the Electrical Calibration Data? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Gage Life and Calibration Management Software - Seeking Opinions / Reviews General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Maximo software for use in Calibration - Seeking Comments, good or bad Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Q Help With Calibration of Software - Microcontroller firmware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Calibration Management Software: MudCats Metrology Suite General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
M Calibration Software - Seeking Suggestions - Commercial or Home Made Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 24
A Calibration Software Validation - Are there any Testing Tools available? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
M Thread Gage Calibration Software to look up requireds/specs for thread gages Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 48
F Calibration Tracking Software: Seeking Recommendations and Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
I Tell me where I can get FREE Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 23
G Test Software 4.11 - We send the Collector out for Calibration but not the Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Gage Calibration Software - Calibration software with free 30-day trial downloads Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
P Dial Gauge (gage) Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
C Calibration Revisited, software too - Previous approach was to calibrate everything General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc Calibration of Software used for Testing Purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration of Software used for testing purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6