What constitutes design under 9001?

KarenA01

Involved In Discussions
I am trying to understand what constitutes design under 9001.

We got 9001 certified with a design exclusion as we have been doing contract fermentations (no not beer! ;) )...

But now we are considering developing our own product where we clone an organism, ferment to produce an enzyme, partially purify it and sell it as technical grade...
We may only (but not necessarily?) sell it only to one customer that we do contract fermentations for.

Unlike what we do for contract manufacturing we would own the whole production process for this enzyme ( but this would not be a novel product or use novel technology and others already sell it commercially)

An argument has been made that since the target enzyme is a known commercial product produced by others, we would be manufacturing to specs already in the market place and it is not a novel enzyme , we are not doing development but rather only working out manufacturability, and so could keep our design exclusion...

Is that likely the case? We are a small company and don't want to slow down such development work.

We will also be going for 13485 (we can do contract manufacturing of biologics that could go into diagnostic kits and vaccines) but we would only be a "component" manufacturer providing crude product that get purified etc by customers that use it in those products. I am assuming that if we did a product of our own it would only be under 9001 and not 13485... I assume we could do that?

Thanks for any feedback

-Karen

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
But now we are considering developing our own product where we clone an organism, ferment to produce an enzyme, partially purify it and sell it as technical grade...
It seems that you answered your own question with this sentence. One can reach the same final product in a million different ways. If you are developing an unique path to reach the end product, you are designing it.

If you are really interested in a formal definition of the term design in the context of the ISO 9000 family of documents, you can find it at the ISO Online Browsing Platform. I copied the definition below.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 090715.png

KarenA01

Involved In Discussions
Creating a new enzyme from scratch or changing the characteristics to meet a different need might be design
That's not what we are doing. I'm not a biologist but if I understand what is being proposed is that using standard DNA cloning technology to insert the genes to produce the enzyme into an organize which then can be gown to produce a lot of the target enzyme.

The enzyme to be produced is not novel and should have the same characteristics as that on the market now (which is produced basically the same way by other companies though some details may differ) ... all we would be doing is optimizing production and the purification.

As A chemist I would call that development but I have been told that it is manufacturability, not design (though I am unclear on the difference)

Thanks,
-Karen

KarenA01

Involved In Discussions
It seems that you answered your own question with this sentence. One can reach the same final product in a million different ways. If you are developing an unique path to reach the end product, you are designing it.
As I said in post after yours we are basically planning to do the same way everybody else (and is in the literature)....

Personally I think of it as development, but upper management is hoping not to have to worry about design/development documentation under the standard... The person that would be in-charge of the development is a VERY freewheeling R&D type person who's documentation instincts and skills are not strong.

So if there is a way we can legitimately keep our design exclusion, the CEO will be significantly happier...

Thanks
-Karen

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
So if there is a way we can legitimately keep our design exclusion, the CEO will be significantly happier...
Cutting to the chase. You just need to convince your certification body that such exclusion is justified. If they agree with you, voilà, mission accomplished. If they don’t agree with you, you can shop around for a CB that is more flexible and understanding. With hundreds of CB’s out there eager to sign new clients, there is no shortage of options.

KarenA01

Involved In Discussions
Cutting to the chase. You just need to convince your certification body that such exclusion is justified. If they agree with you, voilà, mission accomplished.
I think we will need our consultant to do that... I'm am not a standards expert (heck I'm an R&D analytical chemist that got tossed into being the head (and now only person) in QA...

As i said I would call it development, and I'm not a great tap dancer or poltician !!!

BTW as a chemist I find things being so "squishy" about something major like this, that it depends on certification body or specific auditors a bit disconcerting... Who is to say the next auditor won't bring it up!

Thanks,
-Karen

Randy

Super Moderator
Read the attached ISO document and maybe get a copy of ISO 9000:2015 to help (as Sidney said)...In this world we either are fed a meal of fish by people that feel sorry for us or we can learn to catch the fish ourselves and eat when we want.

Who is to say the next auditor won't bring it up!
Nobody can say for sure, everything is always subject to sampling and no 2 samples are ever the same...Ever!

Attachments

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I think we will need our consultant to do that... I'm am not a standards expert (heck I'm an R&D analytical chemist that got tossed into being the head (and now only person) in QA...

As i said I would call it development, and I'm not a great tap dancer or poltician !!!

BTW as a chemist I find things being so "squishy" about something major like this, that it depends on certification body or specific auditors a bit disconcerting... Who is to say the next auditor won't bring it up!

Thanks,
-Karen
Karen,

You and your colleagues need to defend your own system during the audit. Relying on your consultant to do this suggests your organization’s system is not ready for certification.

Don’t forget that you also design your service to satisfy your customer’s needs (needs are unspecified requirements BTW).

So, design is a process that translates customer/user needs into specified requirements for a service, product or a process.

Best wishes,

John

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
That's not what we are doing. I'm not a biologist but if I understand what is being proposed is that using standard DNA cloning technology to insert the genes to produce the enzyme into an organize which then can be gown to produce a lot of the target enzyme.

The enzyme to be produced is not novel and should have the same characteristics as that on the market now (which is produced basically the same way by other companies though some details may differ) ... all we would be doing is optimizing production and the purification.

As A chemist I would call that development but I have been told that it is manufacturability, not design (though I am unclear on the difference)

Thanks,
-Karen
Sounds to me like process development, not product development.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Design Input vs. Design Output - What constitutes Design Input? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
I What constitutes 'design'? We remanufacture products to OEM specifications. Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
shimonv FDA released final guidance documents on what constitutes a significant change Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Requirements/guidance on what constitutes the Manufacturers "Address" EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S What constitutes an “expert” with respect to a NB auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q What constitutes current technical data? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
S What constitutes Major and Minor changes in Software Software Quality Assurance 7
T What constitutes a Management Review? Informal Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K What constitutes (is defined as) as a Medical Device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R Supplier Quality - What constitutes a Reject? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
K What constitutes QUALITY OBJECTIVES! I have problem with my auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
H What constitutes a PRR? Had a non conformance at customer but... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R What Constitutes a Field-Failure? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Definition Controlled Document Definition - What constitutes a controlled document? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S What Constitutes "Manufacturers Claims" about a product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V What Constitutes a Document Change? Company Logo Revision Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
T Definition Procedure vs. Instruction - What constitutes a procedure? What are the differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 15
V What Constitutes Customer QA (Quality Assurance)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
D What constitutes a "significant change" in software AND what does not Software Quality Assurance 7
S What Constitutes an Excellent Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 18
F ISO 9001:2000 Clause 4.2.4 - Control of Quality Records - What constitutes a record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 42
B Validation of design for valve api 6d 25 edition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
B Hi , everyone i need a procedure for validation of design prototype api 6d (valve manufacturing) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
K Exclusion of 8.3 Design and Development for Design Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Recognised/reputable courses for ISO 13485 Section 7.3 (Design & Development)? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
J Design/Development. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
O Regarding design and development requirements for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Rights of Supplier in Design & Build WP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K ISO 13485 Design Requirement with respect to "component" manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
rob3027 ISO 13485 justification for design and development exclusion for medical packaging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
P Product Requirements Control during Design Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
B Minitab factorial design regression equation center point term Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Design Input Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Self Certified Class 1 MDR 2017/745 Design Change CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Design V&V courses Career and Occupation Discussions 11
B AS9100 Design Authority questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Process FMEA responsible For "Make to Design Parts" (Inhouse or Suppliers ?) FMEA and Control Plans 3
K CE design Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M ISO 13485 consultants and auditors with design oriented focus ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Design Transfer & use of "prototype" components in production devices. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q What are Quality Requirements for Design? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
G Mfr. Process Validation BEFORE Design Transfer? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B Use of Statistical Techniques in Design Verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
X Design stage overview (Product specification) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
gohyl Fixture Setup Design Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D IS0 13485 - Design perspective to regulatory requirement. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Software item classification and Detailed Design IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
armani 7.1.5 and design and development of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News ISO 9001 Design Specification to be developed - May 2022 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12