What constitutes Major and Minor changes in Software

S

ShadinDC

As a Knowledge Manager, I'm new to the business analysis field. I was asked to put together a list and detail what constitutes a major and minor change request for software. The software in question is Adobe Experience Manager.
This paper will be used by the customer (authors/content managers) to establish workflows for certain internal processes. Can someone tell me what examples make up a major versus minor change. Please list examples. Are there any other "changes" that don't fall within major and minor. Also, please list examples.
I feel like I'm in bureaucratic limbo. Of course this is a govt agency.
Thank you all very much for assisting me.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

ShadinDC

I would like to give some clarification - these are changes the client may ask the developer to do. Example: Create a page, change a workflow, changes to arthur or publisher groups, etc...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I would think those would be defined by comparing the current contract requirements to any change request.

However, I am not a software expert. I would *think* this would be a gray area because the definition of major vs. the definition of minor would be not only company/project specific, but also customer specific. Customer expects X, gets X-1 and is dissatisfied while the supplier is seeing "we did everything the contract calls for". Supplier believes the change(s) is/are major by their company "standards" yet the client (purchaser) sees it as a minor change by their company definition.

I will say that any time I see a customer request for change, I stress how important Contract Review is prior to accepting a change (and typically these are "running changes"). I see a lot of these fail because the customer wants to tighten up a tolerance and the supplier doesn't have a qualified GD&T expert to review the print(s) and the next thing you know the company has committed to a change they can not produce to.

Unfortunately software is nothing like manufacturing. The is a lot of "slack" (for lack of a better word right now) when determining whether a software project meets it's intended purpose even when project management tools are used.

Consider: What Software Specification Tools Do You Use?

Also see these CMMI discussions here: CMMI - Note that the significant "companies" requiring CMMI are military related.

Work flow changes are another matter, but the same principles apply in that what you consider a minor work flow change your customer might see as a major change. Communication is important!

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
from a practical standpoint there are 3 perspectives on what constitutes a major or minor change depending on the purpose of the classification.

• The amount of work required to make the change
  • The magnitude of the effect of the deficiency requiring a change in terms of the user's needs (intended consequence of the change)
  • The effect of the change on function of the change on the software itself. (unintended consequences of the change)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I would *think* this would be a gray area because the definition of major vs. the definition of minor would be not only company/project specific, but also customer specific.
Marc is spot on but may actually be understating! Indeed, there are a number of factors influencing the decision. A "technically minor" may require extensive coding. Whereas a "one line change" may have serious adverse effects.

Each change would need to be assessed, at a minimum, for cost and risk.

Recognize that cost has contributors well beyond just coding. You may need to update design documents, there will be test efforts, there may be impact on user's manuals (updates, printing, distributing, ...), there may be end user training required, etc. So when assessing costs, be sure to involve ALL stakeholders.

Risk is hard to categorize. Any change to the architecture is clearly a high risk. Adding an element to a database table may seem innocuous but may have dire ripple effects. Changing the user experience may not be well received by the users or may cause confusion. Again, you'll want to get a diversity of opinion when assessing risk. Experienced software / systems engineers will be your best friend.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
Can someone tell me what examples make up a major versus minor change. Please list examples. Are there any other "changes" that don't fall within major and minor. Also, please list examples.
I am not sure which government agency you are working with. If you are working with FAA, you may need this document as a guide to classify your problem reports.

Attachments

M

maaquilino

As a Knowledge Manager, I'm new to the business analysis field. I was asked to put together a list and detail what constitutes a major and minor change request for software. The software in question is Adobe Experience Manager.
This paper will be used by the customer (authors/content managers) to establish workflows for certain internal processes. Can someone tell me what examples make up a major versus minor change. Please list examples. Are there any other "changes" that don't fall within major and minor. Also, please list examples.
Below is a table we use for resolving software bugs and when making any changes to the software which includes some examples of changes; for some reason I can't attach files to my posts or I'd have attached the actual table I use. Once a change is requested, it's analyzed for impact and determination of what testing needs to be done to ensure the change worked and didn't adversely affect anything else.

Most Severe:
MUST be fixed. Problems that dramatically interfere with the reasonable use of the product.
- System crashes or hangs
- Missing critical functionality
- Inability to install
- Jeopardizes:
? data integrity,
? product integrity,
? critical functions

Fairly Severe:
Must be fixed. Problems that seriously interfere with reasonable use of the product; problem work around does exist, but is awkward, difficult to perform, or impacts performance.
- Failure to recognize and report significant error conditions.
- Overall performance deviates from goal greater than 10%.
- Increases chance of product failure.

Minor Problems:
Easy work-around, problems and anomalies generally not apparent with normal product use
- Help text inaccuracies.
- GUI inconsistencies.

Very minor problems: Cosmetic in nature which do not effect product use
- Incorrect text on button.
- Wrong color on an object.

No problem: Enhancement or request for change
- Change suggestion for next update of software.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shimonv FDA released final guidance documents on what constitutes a significant change Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Requirements/guidance on what constitutes the Manufacturers "Address" EU Medical Device Regulations 7
SteveK What constitutes an “expert” with respect to a NB auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q What constitutes current technical data? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
T What constitutes a Management Review? Informal Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K What constitutes (is defined as) as a Medical Device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R Supplier Quality - What constitutes a Reject? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
K What constitutes QUALITY OBJECTIVES! I have problem with my auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
H What constitutes a PRR? Had a non conformance at customer but... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R What Constitutes a Field-Failure? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Definition Controlled Document Definition - What constitutes a controlled document? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S What Constitutes "Manufacturers Claims" about a product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V What Constitutes a Document Change? Company Logo Revision Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
T Definition Procedure vs. Instruction - What constitutes a procedure? What are the differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 15
V What Constitutes Customer QA (Quality Assurance)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
T Design Input vs. Design Output - What constitutes Design Input? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
D What constitutes a "significant change" in software AND what does not Software Quality Assurance 7
S What Constitutes an Excellent Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 18
I What constitutes 'design'? We remanufacture products to OEM specifications. Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
F ISO 9001:2000 Clause 4.2.4 - Control of Quality Records - What constitutes a record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 42
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K FAA Audit - Major nonconformity for lack of timely calibration of two devices EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
M New Medical Device Accessory with New Function - Is this a major change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
C How does a major NC for a support site affect our certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
AlienraverX How to appeal a major audit finding ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
T Non-addressed Minor Finding elevated to Major Finding Internal Auditing 37
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14