SBS - The best value in QMS software

What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
When your internal auditors write their audit reports, what direction do you provide on OFIs? I'm thinking that tracking something that might never get done is not useful, and in a high pressure environment where all of my auditors are "volunteers" - OFIs never get done unless I drive each of them myself. During external audits I get a lot of verbal OFIs that I find useful, but I'm running into too many OFIs that are really non-conformances.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
This would indicate that auditors don't understand how to recognize a nonconformity when they see one.
Not necessarily; this softgrading practice can simply be an attempt to avoid confrontation with the auditees. Reporting an OFI does not have the same perceived severity as a nonconformity, in most cases. The same phenomenon occurs in the world of 3ʳᵈ party auditing. As an example, the discussion we had @ Aerospace auditors are told to stop soft grading NC's. Or else!

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
When your internal auditors write their audit reports, what direction do you provide on OFIs? I'm thinking that tracking something that might never get done is not useful, and in a high pressure environment where all of my auditors are "volunteers" - OFIs never get done unless I drive each of them myself. During external audits I get a lot of verbal OFIs that I find useful, but I'm running into too many OFIs that are really non-conformances.
When was the internal audit process last subject to an internal audit? Could this "NCs disguised as OFIs" situation warrant an NC against the internal audit process? At that point, you can drill down to the why's driving the occurrence rather than have us offer possibilities - competence, roles/responsibilities, senior leadership support, etc.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
When was the internal audit process last subject to an internal audit? Could this "NCs disguised as OFIs" situation warrant an NC against the internal audit process? At that point, you can drill down to the why's driving the occurrence rather than have us offer possibilities - competence, roles/responsibilities, senior leadership support, etc.
We just got an external NC against the internal audit process (ouch) so I own getting this fixed.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Sidney Vianna, post: 645120, member: 2212"]Not necessarily; this softgrading practice can simply be an attempt to avoid confrontation with the auditees.

ISO_Man, post: 645105, member: 314211"]OFIs never get done

Good day @ISO_Man

In my professional experience if the "OFIs (or for that matter, corrective actions), don't get done, it is of (should be of) no consequence to the internal auditor.

As you can see, you’ve already received some good council. I would like to remind us of ISO 9001’s stated “purpose” of internal audits…
…to provide information (9.2.1) on whether the…management system”
a)conforms to:
1)the organization’s own requirements for its quality management system
2)the requirements of (the governing) international standard(s)
b) is effectively implemented and maintained.

The key point here is "provide information". Nothing more...nothing less (aside from any internal roles/responsibilities that may be assigned).

My concern and inference from this discussion is that far too often...

1- ...internal auditors are assigned internal roles and responsibility to "fix" the problem...follow up on corrective actions...etc..etc...This puts auditors
in an untenable position.
(Where is top management's role in this? Remember, audit results are to be "reported to relevant management" and are an input into 9.3 Management Review. What's the point of "report" and "input" if Top Management doesn't provide direction, support, and resources?)

2- ...we are not teaching our auditors the interpersonal skills so helpful in making sure they are successful and for ensuring successful audits .

Things to consider.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Talk to your auditors, get their feedback. Don't blame them - tell them that perhaps you and/or the company has failed them and you want their help to fix the problem. Go over some examples of NCs that were written as OFIs. There are many possible factors at play here, there may be more than 1 reason, but I'd say this meeting where you humbly ask for their feedback is imperative.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Do not bother reporting OFIs as an internal auditor.

Leave such reporting to your fellow employees as a normal everyday part of the system.

Recognizing the need for an improvement but failing to bring this to the attention of the boss may however be reported as a system nonconformity.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Do not bother reporting OFIs as an internal auditor.

Leave such reporting to your fellow employees as a normal everyday part of the system.
I think that having internal auditors document opportunities is not only permissible; it might be the most important part of the job.

Recognizing the need for an improvement but failing to bring this to the attention of the boss may however be reported as a system nonconformity.
You've created a false dichotomy on a couple of different levels. First, in most cases internal auditors are part of the system; they're employees like everyone else. So you're saying, in effect, that all employees except auditors should be charged with reporting improvement opportunities, which makes no sense. You labor under the misapprehension that if internal auditors are responsible for reporting opportunities, that it will not be done "...as a normal everyday part of the system." If people see that things get better as a result of reporting perceived opportunities, they will continue to do so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How to provide evidence of Strategic Direction (Easy) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
I ISO-9001:2015 - direction on New Product Development? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
C Direction for Use/ UI for stand alone software Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Package Storage Direction in an I.T. Warehouse ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Corporate direction - External Auditor Influenced by Corporate Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
AnaMariaVR2 A Bold New Direction for Japan's Economy Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Q Manager / Employee - Acting through initiative rather than direction Career and Occupation Discussions 3
E Internal Audit Difficulties - Am I headed in the right direction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
Michael Malis IOM Committee on 510(k) - Ditch It! Are you in agreement with this direction? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R Change in Direction - Management decides to Outsource Manufacturing Operations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Auditing without Clear Procedural Direction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Quality Initiative 2011 - A new direction? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
N ISO 9001 - Getting started and would love some guidance and direction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Honda: Nap direction in fabrics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M GHTF, next-gen MDD...headed in the same direction? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
H Need some direction - I know nothing about ISO 9001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
F Developing a Sales procedure - Direction needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
P RoHS direction / request, including getting product through customs RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
Q Point me in the Direction of an Industrial Engineering (IE) society in IL or SE WI Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
C Need Direction on Process Flowchart for our upcoming ISO 9001:2001 audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Internal auditing focus - Opinions on "what direction" so to speak Internal Auditing 31
R Pointing in the right direction for TickIT - Software Development Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
M FDA News Safety Alert – USFDA warns about safety risks of teething necklaces, bracelets to relieve teething pain or to provide sensory stimulation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Medical Device Registration in Argentina - Client asks us to provide “European FSC” Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M Is it ok to provide a different language upon request? EU Medical Device Regulations 25
N GDP - Having to provide a reason when writing N/A? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Is a parent company who provide services to its subsidiary a Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M How do we document and measure a service we do not provide? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4 - Externally provide process not for automotive part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is it mandatory to provide the results of the validation report in handwriting? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R GHS compliance - Are we are required to provide an SDS? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Can someone provide an example of a Product Safety Policy? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Can anyone provide an example of Design Validation Protocol and Report? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Can anyone provide me a copy of uncertainty in excel file? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
F How to provide 2 MOPP (Means of Patient Protection) - Heating Rod IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M How to provide Stability Study for micron-precision tool Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
E Do I hire a Chemist or a non-Chemist and provide training ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V Manager wont take the lead ....Leadership wont provide clarity....what to do? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A Pls provide some examples of Quality System Basics (QSB) Internal Auditing 3
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q Who can provide a ISO 9001 Lead Auditor QMS training course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
V How much Supplier Information do I have to provide to a Customer? APQP and PPAP 6
somashekar Who can provide a WHO GMP certificate in India acceptable to the CDSCO Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6