What do McDonalds customers want?

T

The Fast One

Not wanting to be accused of 'bashing' once again but isn't this 'debate' missing one vital question, what do MacDonalds Customers want?

Do they want the price of the product to increase to fund quango 'quality initiatives' 'led' by 'experts' who don't give a hoot about the Customer, Organisation or Products as their only focus is self publication.

If you consider the answer in the positive then you are well on your way to becoming the latest 'guru' of the latest fad.

R

Robyn

Cheap, consistent, chemically enhanced food from a convenient location. Exactly what they already get. From what I understand about quality so far, they seem to be the very definition of quality. And success.

What I find interesting is that this restaurant is so ingrained in our collective mind that rather than go other places for different food, they seem to be actually blamed for not offering different food as though it is the obligation of the company to provide nutritional value. Baskin Robbins only serves ice cream. Krispy Kreme only serves donuts. People do not seem outraged over this. Is it because of the success that McDonalds has achieved through marketing?

The information about their nutritionally sketchy offerings and about labor issues is not just available but made the NYT best seller list (Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser, 2001). I can't recommend that book highly enough to people who are interested in knowing more about the history and behind-the-scenes of those burgers (and nuggets, and french fries).

But outside of formulating a magic burger that tastes like a Big Mac but makes you thinner and smarter on impact, I think they are already supplying exactly what their customer base desires. If I believed that their labor practices changed and their food was healthier and more natural, I would become a customer, maybe. But then they wouldn't be McDonalds, no?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I can't say too much as I never was a McDonalds fan. But I agree with you. My 'dislike' of McDonalds is from when I had a young child who was sold on them through advertising, their 'give away toys' and their playgrounds. It irritated me because it 'pushed her' towards junk food (or what I call junk food) instead of (for example) meals at home. Eat at McDonalds = Toy and Playground. Eat at home and you only get 'food'... (Like clothes for christmas or a birthday - Not appreciated by kids)

I personally don't have a complaint per se because nutritionally I have understood the food content issue for a long time and agree that people make their own choices. I mostly eat at home now that I'm not travelling a lot. But even with that, I have a lot of canned and frozen things I buy.

I haven't read Fast Food Nation, but I'm sure it's an interesting read.

L

little__cee

I'm lovin' it

Yes, I love McDonalds. Always have and probably always will.

Having said that, what do I want as a customer? Two things instantly come to my mind:

1. I want to walk into any McDonalds, anywhere, and have the double cheeseburger that I order taste exactly the same. In my limited experience with different stores, they do that!

2. I want to know the the costs and the menus will be approximately the same when I go to a McDonalds. Unfortunately, they usually drop the ball on this one for me but as a loyal customer I've learned to deal with it. For instance, in my area there are about 6 different McD that I can drive by on my way to work, depending on which route I choose. Only two offer the breakfast burrito on their menu. Of those two, one is about 9 cents cheaper than the other store (don't know why - they just are). I think McD could improve on this point, but again, it doesn't stop me from going there either.

C

Craig H.

The Fast One said:
Not wanting to be accused of 'bashing' once again but isn't this 'debate' missing one vital question, what do MacDonalds Customers want?

Do they want the price of the product to increase to fund quango 'quality initiatives' 'led' by 'experts' who don't give a hoot about the Customer, Organisation or Products as their only focus is self publication.

If you consider the answer in the positive then you are well on your way to becoming the latest 'guru' of the latest fad.

Ok, lets say that the executives behind this move are pretty much in the dark when it comes to "Quality". In other words, they never would think of applying Deming principles. I have absolutely no idea if this was the case here, but lets say it is for a minute.

So, one of them hears about six sigma, and how it has saved some other company's MONEY. LOTS of money.

If they can use those techniques to improve ordering and delivery of raw materials, avoid waste, etc., saving MONEY, then the initiative will be viewed as a success. That is the one thing that I have to admit I like about six sigma; It talks the language of the boardroom.

Of course, that has to be viewed as the opposite of stealth quality. Remember, 4 out of 5 quality practicioners surveyed prefer stealth quality to six sigma (haha).

In short, the "customers" in question in the original thread are not parents of tots with happy meals. Rather, the customer is McDonald's. What do THEY want out of it?

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I agree, Craig. That's why I split this off of the other thread, though. This thread is about what McDonalds customers want, where the other thread is really more of the details of the GE - McDonalds relationship and expectations in that respect.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
How about a heart-friendly diet? It has become near and dear to me since my heart attack.....

For example, egg-beaters, no added sodium (especially on the breakfast pork), grilling to reduce the saturated fat from the burgers.....

Hershal

R

Rob Nix

I agree with Hershall - healthier food (less sodium, carbs, etc.) along with their typical "junk food".

But what I'd really like to see, and this goes for most fast food establishments, is employees that were somewhat on the conscious side of comatose. When I was young, McDonald's managers expected that their fast food employees were, well, fast! :whip:

Now, the majority move at glacial speed with impunity. Lethargy seems to be an employment requirement. :rolleyes:

And their thinking ability can't even catch up with their physical movements. It's like you can almost watch each cranial synapse short out in confusion when two thoughts happen simulaneously. :confused:

Not that I frequent fast food places anymore (maybe once a month) since at my age I'm more health and money conscious.

C

Craig H.

Marc said:
I agree, Craig. That's why I split this off of the other thread, though. This thread is about what McDonalds customers want, where the other thread is really more of the details of the GE - McDonalds relationship and expectations in that respect.

Ah, well in that case, their fairly new salads, with the grilled chicken, might be worth a try for some of you. My favorite is the "Ceasars".

What strikes me, with more than McDonald's, is how there has been concern about high fat diets for some time now, but the Atkins thing, to me, seems to have had a quicker, and possibly deeper, impact. Anyone agree?

Top Bottom