What Do You Define as a Customer Complaint?

M

murban

Does anyone have a list of what Customer Complaints would be? I know there could be, short shipments, over shipments, ship wrong parts, not on time, defective parts, shipped to wrong address, the list could go on and on. Are there certain categories that should always be used.

Thanks,

Mark

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JodiB

Still plugging along
Mark,

I'm not experienced at this so my approach may be naive. Take it with a grain of salt...

I divided our customer satisfaction procedure into "feedback" and "complaints". I defined "complaints" as a customer statement that our products or services do not meet requirements and/or expectations. Feedback was defined as a comment regarding features, characteristics,etc. etc. and that only communication that does not require a response or resolution of a problem could be classified as customer feedback.

Then I set up categories for both of them. I used the categories you mentioned as well as "insufficient or inadequate operating manuals", "problems with communication and responsiveness", "incorrect invoicing" and some others. I tried to cover the range of our activities where the customer could reasonably be expected to lodge a complaint.

I think that the only category that you could say is always used is "Other" !:biglaugh:

Categorizing Customer Complaints

Mark, excellent question, and welcome to the Cove! How you categorize customer complaints is up to you, but here is a common way I’ve seen. The categories are based on whether the complaint is knowledge or execution in nature. For example, if the customer wanted blue, but got red is the problem someone loaded the red paint by mistake, or did the paperwork say red, not blue? Did the customer change from red to blue, and the message not sent out? If we made the error, then we have to take certain steps, if it was by the customer (the never told us of the change), then we have to take different steps. Sometimes you cannot categorize the complaint until after the complaint is resolved. :eek:

Another common way is to use the points of the Cause and Effect Diagram (Ishikawa).

The key is to find the correct root cause(s), not just to place a complaint in a particular category. One recurring customer complaint by a client of mine is for late shipments. The 8-D always comes out the same. The shipment was late because it was on “credit hold”. Would that category be “customer caused”?

Dave B (the other Dave)

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Welcom Mark

Some indicators for Customer Satisfaction:
Market Share compared to your competitors;
New Customers and Retention of Customers tracked most often by asking for home phone # at register, or even just zip code [which is less invasive depending on your customer base].
Customer Feedback if/when you are lucky enough to get it directly.
Customer Dissatisfaction Many don't bother to complain, just take their business elsewhere. This can include: complaints, refunds, recalls, returns, repeat services, litigation, replacements, downgrades, repairs, warranty work/costs, miss-shipments, and imcomplete orders.

You will need to use more than one indicator to get a complete cross-section of your customers responses and experiences.

JodiB

Still plugging along
Mark,
What Dave and Eileen (not Ellen) added are true. Eileen has given some good examples of measuring customer satisfaction (in addition to monitoring of complaints ).

The way we have it set up is that when the "complaint" is received, it is categorized the way you indicated. In other words, what did the customer complain about. This is what the categorization is used for.

Then all complaints (as I defined it for us earlier), automatically generate a CAR that requires us to look for the cause of the complaint, as Dave pointed out. In order for us to address the true problem and make sure it doesn't happen again, we need to know the root cause and then address it. Our complaint database is one route into our Corrective and Preventive Action process.

The initial categorization is for a quick eyeball look at where most complaints are being generated and will allow us to measure some degree of effectiveness in their elimination. Although we may eliminate the first root cause of (to use Dave's example) the customer getting red, if we get another complaint like this then there is another root cause at work and we need to address it too! Just because it was one thing the first time, doesn't mean that the same problem can't occur because of a different reason the next time.

The database that we will use to log the feedback and complaints will allow us to monitor the categories of problems so that we can spot trends.

Is that what you were looking for?

If you want more categories, here's a few for "feedback" : Availability of Product/Service, Price, Reliability or dependability of product/Service, Product Information,Product's functional performance and other design,Sales or order processing

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

energy

Ah, the Power!

Originally posted by Lucinda
Mark,
What Dave and Eileen (not Ellen) added are true. Eileen has given some good examples of measuring customer satisfaction (in addition to monitoring of complaints ).
Last edited by E Wall on 3rd January 2002 at 04:35 PM

Was it that important?:biglaugh: :smokin:

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Personally - Yes

It was to me :)

I like for folks to get my name right if they are going to use it. No offense taken by the error nor meant by making the correction.

E

energy

Re: Personally - Yes

Originally posted by E Wall

I like for folks to get my name right if they are going to use it. No offense taken by the error nor meant by making the correction.
Oh, is that what is was?:bonk: I thought the new moderator was exercising the right to edit posts. It just that I've never seen this function in action before. I notice little things like that. Without a spellcheck function, there's a lot of mispelled words than can use some "editing".:biglaugh: Plus, I don't like the way that Aussie Bloke and Carl talk to me.:vfunny: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spell check?

energy,

What i do because my speling is sooo bad, is i tipe my message in word and copi it. I didnt do it this time, because i'm at a differeent computr.

Dave B (the other Dave):vfunny: :bonk:

E

energy

Hey, me too!

Originally posted by Lucinda
Mark,
I divided our customer satisfaction procedure into "feedback" and "complaints". I defined "complaints" as a customer statement that our products or services do not meet requirements and/or expectations. Feedback was defined as a comment regarding features, characteristics,etc. etc. and that only communication that does not require a response or resolution of a problem could be classified as customer feedback.
Lucinda, my procedure says exactly what yours says. Who could have imagined? We must think like Khanhoum.:ko: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Measuring Customer Complaints in PPM - How does your company define PPM? Customer Complaints 21
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
V Who should define and own the Design and Development Plan and how to maintain the updates and revisions. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
M How To Define ISMS (information Security Management System) Scope IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
Kuldeep Singh How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S How to Define Importers under EU MDR / Brexit EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K ISO 9001:2015 clause 9.2.2 a. - Define the audit criteria and scope Internal Auditing 2
Q QI Macro Histogram - Can someone define *sorted data*? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
I How do you define Risk (Medical Device)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 30
M SOP or template for a study to Define Storage Conditions of Orthopaedic Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Definition Client - How does the government define their clients? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
alonFAI How to define a Risk Based Approach for Supplier Management per ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G How to define the scope of QMS as per ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
R How to define QMS certification scope statement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
G Procedure to define Signing Authority for Procurement Limits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Can a company define new quality standards for special industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Are there any requirements to define barcode requirements ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
X How to define Calibration Acceptance Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H ISO 17025 - How to define a "Test Equipment" ? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J Where do you define Internal Auditor qualifications? Internal Auditing 9
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Internal Audit - How to define the Importance of Departments and Processes Internal Auditing 8
T Help me understand how to define Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
B How to define and implement Configuration Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C How to Define and Document Controls of Outsourced Processes Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Please help me define training requirements for a Career in Regulatory Affairs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K How to define the Acceptances Criteria for all equipment? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Definition Program - How do you define Program with regard to ISO 9001? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
Q Where to define Authorities and Responsibilities in Documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Define Energy Used/Delivered - Applicable to Electrical or Mechanical Power or both? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R 820.50 (A) (2)Define the Type and Extent of Control to be exercised over Vendor Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Criteria to define QMS processes in ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
S How to define New Equipment? Device is Returned, Refurbished or Repaired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C How to define Process Special Characteristics (SC) FMEA and Control Plans 4
kedarg6500 What is the meaning of "define/defined" in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Crusader Local Control Document procedure....define it or not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
M Excel Templates for Plan & Define Phase in NPI Process for Tire Manufacturer Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
K How to define PVC Pellet Quality Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J How to define a Product's Realization Process and Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8