What do you do AFTER work to wind down/relax?

B

Bob_M

Just a curiosity question / topic.

When I worked in production (especially after being sent back to production after working in the office during a downsizing), I was often very fustrated/angry after work. I would go home and play hours of mindless/violent computer games to help forget about my day and avoid taking any fustration out on my wife.

I also use to read alot. But my eyes are usually tired and dry after work... :(

Now that I'm back in the office, staring at a computer screen most of the day, playing computer games is alot less fun, and cause un-wanted strain on my wrists. So I play very few computer games now.

I basically watch TV and DVDs at night. (No kids yet). I'm even crazy enough that I'm converting one of our bedrooms into a dedicated movie room, with a digital projector and a screen about 8' wide x 4' tall. (I've even got velvet curtains on the windows to block out the light. :D
--------------
What do you do after work to relax? (Assuming you have time to relax at home).
Be honest if you want. ;)

Randy

Super Moderator
1st of all being self employed I never stop working...gotta eat you know.

I mainly do what you do, TV is my hobby. Since moving here to Arkansas I do find myself spending time outdoors tending to things here on "R-Hill". Right now, wel not exactly right now, I'm splitting up an Oak tree into firewood. Mainly Judi and I just kinda hang out together.

E

energy

Well, you asked....

First, depending on my inventory, I crack open a "Twisted Tea". Maybe a shot of 100 Proof Smirnoff. Check my e-mail and log in to the Cove. Then, after a light supper, I scan the band for a movie on Cable. Failing that, I slap in a DVD from netflix. I get three a week via mail. Of course, these plans go out the window if Mamma has some extra chores for me to do. :vfunny: Doing the dishes and making sure the animals are taken care of is a given. :rolleyes:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Ummm...is the thread where we're supposed to confess to drinking after work? ;)

Actually, for me, I do my stress-relieving prior to it starting. I'm at the gym around 0530/0600 Monday through Friday and around 0830 on Saturday mornings (if I do not have an active weekend planned). Nothing like a good round with the punching bag to help alleviate stress or an awesome power-pacing session. Preventive Action instead of Corrective. Proactive instead of Reactive.

Reading works wonders for me after work. As does writing. I belong to a PBEM Star Trek simulation and every couple of days lose myself in my character. As "Darcy" works out her stress, so too do I.

Cooking is a great tool, as well...unfortunately, it's followed by the dishes. :(

Hikes in the woods - especially at this time of year - work wonders!

And there is something about going with my friends to some clubs in Toronto that just helps to realign my life and make the stress dissipate.

B

Bob_M

RCBeyette said:
Ummm...is the thread where we're supposed to confess to drinking after work?
I didn't want to bring that up specifically, but yes you're free to confess and be honest as you want.

After work?

Well, first things first.. I have an 8yo girl who wants a lot of attention when I get home... and gets it.. That usually takes my mind right off work there and then, but it may not always make me wind down if you get my drift...

Then, the wife wants some attention as well... and gets it. That often results in some chores among which some heavy manual labour is not uncommon. See above about taking my mind off things and winding down.

Winding down takes place later in the evening... Many of you already know that I read a lot: SciFi, Shakespeare, and a lot of things in between. I am also a freak when it comes to computer games in general and flight simulators in particular... The harder, the better. Gardening and walks in a nearby forest certainly does the trick, too.

/Claes

Last edited:
E

energy

Why not?

Bob_M said:
I didn't want to bring that up specifically, but yes you're free to confess and be honest as you want.

I never had a problem with that. Makes no difference to me what others think. :rolleyes: :agree:

J

Jimmy Olson

Well, I guess it depends on the day of the week. I try to keep the heavy drinking only on Friday :vfunny: .

Actually don't drink too often, it slows down the reflexes too much when playing computer games. When I get home I usually spend the evening entertaining my son (or being entertained by him). I don't watch much tv (there's a couple shows I like) and usually am either playing on the computer, reading, building something in the workshop (usually for my wife :p ), or if it's a clear night I break out the telescope. On the weekends I try to get outside somewhere with my son if the weather is decent

D

db

I take the long way home. Mostly dirt roads and 25 MPH. It takes me about the same time, because I don't have any traffic jams. I get home, hug Ruth Ellen for a while (I've been doing that a lot more since her diagnosis). Then I go to my home office and look at my 300-600 emails. Delete all but about 3 without reading them. Eat supper, update one of my websites, and spend the rest of the evening with my perfect mate. Sometimes we play cards, sometimes we play dominoes, sometimes we even talk.

Unless there is a hockey game, or a good movie, or something else that important.

D

David Hartman

The hour long drive home typically gives me time to unwind (except when there's ice or snow on the road). After which I spend time listening to my wife unwind from her day with our two boys (one 24 lives at home because of health problems, and one 16 who has multiple girl related problems as well as the feeling that our cars are for his personal transportation - to paraphrase Tom Arnold from the movie True Lies teenagers "can't live with them can't kill them").

I spend some time on the computer reading email, working on the local Literacy Council newsletter, tutoring one of my two adult students, going to church, or helping one of the boys with homework, cars, etc.

Then later in the evening, as things finally settle down, my lovely wife and I may share a small glass of wine and spend some time watching our favorite TV shows: Who's Line Is It Anyway?, While You Where Out, or Trading Spaces.

Top Bottom