What do you think about QE19011S-2004? (ISO 19011)

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

I am curious to find out how many of you are familiar with ANSI/ISO/ASQ QE19011S-2004? (This is the American version of ISO 19011.)

A few questions:
  • Have you used it in the development of your internal audit program?
  • Did you find the "supplemental guidance" helpful?
From the ASQ Audit Division:

ISO 19011:2002, Guidelines and Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing, was developed as a new international consensus standard for auditing QMS and EMS. Because of serious shortcomings in the ISO standard, particularly as applied to internal auditing, the U.S. ANSI Z1 Committee developed an American National Standard, QE 19011S, as a supplement to ISO 19011:2002. ANSI/ASQ QE 19011S-2004 includes expanded guidance on using the standard in internal as well as supplier audit situations in addition to the third-party audit situations addressed primarily by the ISO standard.

Any comments are appreciated. My Fellow Covers, this is just about your familiarity and use of this document. Not about the merits of an internal audit program (quality and/or environmental).

Thank you for your comments.

Stijloor.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: What do you think about QE19011S-2004?

I have it, I've read it, I use it. I found that most of the supplemental guidance seems intuitive - to me anyway. Audit training that I conduct is based on both ISO 19011 and QE 19011S.

J

JaneB

No, I didn't know about it. Would it be useful for internal auditors? ie, more useful than ISO 19011, which I find often confuses rather than helps them?

J

Jeff Frost

QE19011S states the requirements of ISO 19011 with supplemental text specific to internal audits, supplier audits or for use by small organizations. I would have to agree Howste, that as a Lead Auditor, the ISO standard is intuitive but if I put on my small business hat the supplemental information in QE19011S is helpful.

Randy

Super Moderator

I would like to use it, but because of the nature and scope of some training, referencing an "American" document as a way to do things might not go over. To counter the potential negative side effects, elements of this document have been identified as suggested "Best Practices".

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Friends,

I am curious to find out how many of you are familiar with ANSI/ISO/ASQ QE19011S-2004? (This is the American version of ISO 19011.)

A few questions:
  • Have you used it in the development of your internal audit program?
  • Did you find the "supplemental guidance" helpful?
From the ASQ Audit Division:

ISO 19011:2002, Guidelines and Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing, was developed as a new international consensus standard for auditing QMS and EMS. Because of serious shortcomings in the ISO standard, particularly as applied to internal auditing, the U.S. ANSI Z1 Committee developed an American National Standard, QE 19011S, as a supplement to ISO 19011:2002. ANSI/ASQ QE 19011S-2004 includes expanded guidance on using the standard in internal as well as supplier audit situations in addition to the third-party audit situations addressed primarily by the ISO standard.

Any comments are appreciated. My Fellow Covers, this is just about your familiarity and use of this document. Not about the merits of an internal audit program (quality and/or environmental).

Thank you for your comments.

Stijloor.

Sorry folks for quoting my own post, but I would like to hear from other Covers about QE 19011S (ANSI/ISO/ASQ QE19011S-2004). I really appreciate the responses that I have received so far.
Comments anyone?

Stijloor.

P

Pepper - 2011

I personally like the idea of having the supplemental information which is not contained in 19011.

The guideline for auditing of quality and environmental management systems, ISO 19011 is undergoing its 5 year systematic review and ISO has decided that it should be revised.

Word is that the American National Standard ANSI/ISO/ASQ QE19011-2002 has been distributed to members for voting. It seems that the voting is to reach a decision if this standard also requires amendment.

Draft international standards accepted by the technical committees are circulated to the member bodies for voting. Publication as an International Standard requires approval by at least 75% of the members casting a vote.

Are there any of the ASQ "Members" at this forum that could keep us posted regarding further developments?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I personally like the idea of having the supplemental information which is not contained in 19011.

The guideline for auditing of quality and environmental management systems, ISO 19011 is undergoing its 5 year systematic review and ISO has decided that it should be revised.

Word is that the American National Standard ANSI/ISO/ASQ QE19011-2002 has been distributed to members for voting. It seems that the voting is to reach a decision if this standard also requires amendment.

Draft international standards accepted by the technical committees are circulated to the member bodies for voting. Publication as an International Standard requires approval by at least 75% of the members casting a vote.

Are there any of the ASQ "Members" at this forum that could keep us posted regarding further developments?

Hello Pepper,

I found some information:

"ANSI Z1 is currently in the process of revising ANSI/ASQ 19011S (Guidelines on Quality and/or Environmental Management System Auditing) to include guidelines for auditing occupational safety and health management systems."

I do not know what its status is. I will further "investigate."

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

Hello Pepper,

I found some information:

"ANSI Z1 is currently in the process of revising ANSI/ASQ 19011S (Guidelines on Quality and/or Environmental Management System Auditing) to include guidelines for auditing occupational safety and health management systems."

I do not know what its status is. I will further "investigate."

Stijloor.

My question is "Don't they anything else to occupy their time with?"

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

My question is "Don't they anything else to occupy their time with?"

Randy,

Good question. There must be a need somehow. As long as this activity is (financially) supported and people and time can be found, this will probably continue.

Stijloor.

Top Bottom