What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification (FAI form 2, Field 9)

C

cghexsm2737

What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification (Feild 9) on the Product Accountability-Raw Material Specification and Special Process (es) Functional Testing (Form 2)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification

We will need more information. Specifically what form(s) are you referring to?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification (Feild 9) on the Product Accountability-Raw Material Specification and Special Process (es) Functional Testing (Form 2)?
We will need more information. Specifically what form(s) are you referring to?
There's a form here (PDF) that seems to be what the OP is referring to, but I know nothing about it. I'm sure one of our aerospace experts will be able to help.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

There's a form here (PDF) that seems to be what the OP is referring to, but I know nothing about it. I'm sure one of our aerospace experts will be able to help.
I have no experience with Aerospace, but one of my customer in USA does conduct 'First Article Inspection' for every new component. Their FAI report says 'Passed' or 'Failed'. Therefore we may safely conclude that 'Yes' or 'No' relate to passed or failed respectively.

To be sure, let someone from Aerospace chime in for the final verdict.

Umang :D

T

tyker

I believe the query relates to the FAI form 2.

This from AS9102 regarding form 2 field 9:
"Customer Approval Verification. Indicate if the special process or material source is approved by the customer."

So "NO" means it isn't approved by the customer.

B

Blue Screw

Re: What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification (Field 9)

A "NO" in the Customer Approval Verification indicates whether or not the FAI material is required to be reviewed by your customer. This is typically done by your customers SQA representative.

As and example. GE (General Electric) has their SQA representatives visit the supplier or have the supplier send all documents required for a AS9102 FAI.

Not all materials require a complete FAI, however they will require some form of verification of their compliance with standards. This are indicated the requirement for your customer to approve them.

These materials all become part of your FAI anyways and as such the FAI itself will require a review/acceptance by your customer.
Hope that helps and that I understood you properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tyker

Form 2 field 9 specifically refers to customer approval of the source of material or the source of a special process. Not all customers insist on approving all sources of material and special processes.

K

KwalityWonk

Personnally, in 10 years of using these forms, I have never used "No" in Block 9. N/A is the appropriate entry if the customer does not require an approved source. Not sure when "No" would be appropriate, unless you are violating your Customer's requirements or have some type of concession to use unnapproved sources.

T

thebians

Tyker has an excellent answer. If it's not too late, maybe to expand upon the answers given by some who intelligently ask, "Why would anyone ever put, 'No'? It seems a clear violation of customer's requirement," I can offer some reasons. Working in aerospace, I use the forms consistently. I would put, "NO," because the supplier requires approved processors to be used for that process (the same would apply for materials, but our products only require processes), but the processor used is NOT approved by our customer. I am the person completing the report. The situation is done. The information must be reported, "An approved processor was not used." I would generate a nonconformance record. It would be disposition to be either re-processed at an approved processor or "Use-As-Is" by the customer's delegated MRB authority. These are rare circumstances. What could also occur is the customer didn't have the database updated and this would bring the circumstance to light. They could update it and a "Partial" (updated) FAI submitted reflecting the approval. Also, the customer could go and survey the processor and approve them and accept the FAI based upon that survey.

It is rare, but I hope this sheds some light on how such a situation could occur and still be accepted in the end even though it looks bad at the initial glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What does "If required by the customer" mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V Customer-Specified Parts - What does "customer-specified" in TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Requirement 7.5.1.8 Service Agreement with Customer - What does it mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D What does the customer mean by ?Contaminations?? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
D What does "Customer Business Plan" in the AIAG APQP manual mean? APQP and PPAP 0
H Does this clause mean i must be in compliance with AS9100 or is 9001 enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M What does "constantly" mean ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
P What does UPH/m² mean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
echo7tango Circled-Z symbol on a syringe — what is it for, what does it mean? China Medical Device Regulations 24
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
Q What does % study variation of 20% mean in GRR? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
J GHTF Incidents - What does unlabeled and labeled mean? Japan Medical Device Regulations 9
S When a deviation is opened but what does it mean to close a deviation? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
armani Definition Intended Results - What does "Intended Results" mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
O What does "Gap" and "Flush" in ASME Y14.5 mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
qualprod ISO 9001 Cl. 4.1 and 4.2 - What does monitoring and review mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J What does "factional and failure dependencies“ mean? FMEA and Control Plans 1
A What does 8.2.2.1, Determining the requirements related to products and services,mean IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J What does "Corporate stewardship" mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Does the word "claim" in ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 mean "requirement"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
I ITSM and Orchestration - What does this mean? IT (Information Technology) Service Management 2
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S What does B, M1 through M5 and the black triangle mean in MDD ? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Callout of a length dimension and then P.I at the end - What does that mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S What does "review" of records actually mean? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
J Definition What does Engineering Judgement mean in MSA? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
S Definition Comply - What does 'comply' mean to you? (Definition) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
E What does "other APPLIED PARTS" mean in IEC 60601-1 ed 3.0 8.7.4.7 b) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J Responsibilities, Authorities and Relationships - What does Relationship mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B What does this clause mean? 4.2.3 - Legal and Other Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
N Updating Job Titles - Does This Mean There Needs to Be a rev change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V What does the 95% Spheradized mean and how is it verified? APQP and PPAP 1
V What does the suffix 2 mean on 1010AK2 steel? APQP and PPAP 1
P What does 'Shelf Life' of Sterile Implantable Orthopaedic Devices mean? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R What does P-release mean in APQP documents regarding drawings and approvals? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Definition Design Capacity - What does 'Design Capacity' (or 'Rated Capacity') mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Definition Equipment definition - What does "equipment" mean in the AIAG MSA Manual Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
D Internal Audit Frequency - What does "at Planned Intervals" mean? Internal Auditing 14