What ever happened to the "Process is not systemic" finding

Q

qualityboi

In a past life with an ISO 9001 registered company auditors used to write up findings based on duplicated processes or singular processes that should, but did not span the entire company using the phrase "Process is not systemic". I no longer see this as a write up especially in my current organization where many processes are siloed and hardly anything is centralized. For example we have 6 different document control groups, 8 different purchasing groups, untold amounts of groups that do their own contract review, all of which use difference systems and policies reporting into different departments (yes it is extremely inefficient because we have executives that have acquired impenetrable empires)...but again, we never had a finding for any of these as a "process is not systemic"... where did that write up go? Have the 3rd party auditors given into the siloed approach to business process?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I had never heard of "the process is not systemic" as a non conformity. Obviously, in order to be a valid NC, there must be a requirement somewhere for "processes to be systemic". Where is the requirement found?

In over 20 years, I've never encountered that either.

Sounds to me like a specific CB's auditors bias. I have written a major against the 'old' 4.2 - Quality System, because in a 2 day surveillance, everything I audited (internal audits, management review, corrective actions, etc. etc.) had a problem with it (not implemented, not to the process etc. So having written what was 14 borderline majors, I wrote on 'cover sheet' NC stating the system wasn't being implemented effectively......

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
The only finding that I can think of is the "Process is not systematically / consistently applied as per <insert standard/company requirement here>".

The opportunity for a systematical - or standardized - approach to a process (e.g., document control) is just that...an opportunity. Unless there is a requirement... ???

C

Chris Ford

In a past life with an ISO 9001 registered company auditors used to write up findings based on duplicated processes or singular processes that should, but did not span the entire company using the phrase "Process is not systemic". I no longer see this as a write up especially in my current organization where many processes are siloed and hardly anything is centralized. For example we have 6 different document control groups, 8 different purchasing groups, untold amounts of groups that do their own contract review, all of which use difference systems and policies reporting into different departments (yes it is extremely inefficient because we have executives that have acquired impenetrable empires)...but again, we never had a finding for any of these as a "process is not systemic"... where did that write up go? Have the 3rd party auditors given into the siloed approach to business process?
I have to agree with the others here... I've never heard of this or seen "Process is not systemic". Having multiple document control systems is not uncommon at all. I've worked in companies that had a document control system for marketing, one specifically for labeling, another for engineering, one for software design, and another for quality system documentation. So, it's not surprising to see a company with six systems. It's also not uncommon for R&D, Engineering, and Marketing to have their own purchasing functions aside from the Operations purchasing function, because their supplier requirement, and terms are specialized.

I've seen countless examples of systems broken into discrete segments across an organization. Training is a very common example where each department maintains its own training function. Some departments may employ personnel with specific responsibilities for training, and they maintain their own training records. While other organizations utilize a training department to oversee the entire company.

I'm not sure I see how either system could be inefficient if implemented properly.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

In a past life with an ISO 9001 registered company auditors used to write up findings based on duplicated processes or singular processes that should, but did not span the entire company using the phrase "Process is not systemic". I no longer see this as a write up especially in my current organization where many processes are siloed and hardly anything is centralized.
I too have'nt heard this before, but that does not necessarily means it is wrong. Let us examine this from the auditors' point of view. (BTW I'm not an auditor)

The dictionary meaning of 'systemic' is 'of or pertaining to a system'. You have stated that the base of auditors' findings were for duplicated processes or singular process, not spaning the entire company. Since both the cases are deviating from normal system, the auditors find they are not part 'of the system', and hence, in their opinion it comes under perview of being 'not systemic'.

Umang :2cents:

S

Sam4Quality

Quite frankly, I am particularly not an advocate of "mini-companies" inside a company. Departments having their own Purchasing, Marketing functions, especially when there IS a full-fledged department to carry out these functions, tend to isolate these departments from the SYSTEM of the company, and if not controlled, tend to become independent of the system of the company.

I totally agree that there is no clause in the standard that can justify a 'Process is not systemic' write up, but the standard itself was developed on the 8 Quality Management Principles, two of them being 'Process Approach' and 'System Approach to Management', the latter implying - Indentifying, understanding and managing a system of interrelated processes for achieving objectives that contribute to effectiveness and efficiency of the organization.
If there are several independent pockets within a company having their own set of processes and also owning processes which are actually part of other departments, how can you explain interaction of processes?
Also, do these pocket mini-processes have any link with the main departments (eg., mini-purchasing with purchasing) that actually own these processes. Isn't this implying having more than one process owner for one process, with different controls in approach, methodology and documentation?
Would'nt this cause enough confusion in the company and even make the original process owners useless to say the least?

I do not say that such systems do not work at all. They definitely do. But do they effect positively on the overall system of the organization? Please take note that the OP has also mentioned that the entire territorial approach is 'extremely inefficient'; in my belief this is only the tip of the iceberg! I believe here there is a major system(ic) problem, probably more chronic than visibly acute. And by the time it does become acute, it will be too late.
My guess? It already is.

I would write up the management "Inefficient system approach" as an observation citing one of the 8 quality management principles. Am I biased towards my own thinking? I am - which is in line with the principles on which the standards have been developed.

Ciao. :cool:

Q

qualityboi

I guess it was just the 3rd party registrar's way of auditing to the point Sam4quality wrote, how do you have a process owner if you have 3 or 4 purchasing departments that don't even report to purchasing, as well as showing a high level process map or documenting how you do purchasing, purchasing just being an example...thanks for the comments. I guess I need to change my way of thinking about sub-optimization. I always struggled with thinking that is is really inefficient to have duplicate groups doing the same things using different methods and tools, however, in todays economy I guess I should be promoting it to save jobs.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I guess it was just the 3rd party registrar's way of auditing to the point Sam4quality wrote, how do you have a process owner if you have 3 or 4 purchasing departments that don't even report to purchasing, as well as showing a high level process map or documenting how you do purchasing, purchasing just being an example...thanks for the comments. I guess I need to change my way of thinking about sub-optimization. I always struggled with thinking that is is really inefficient to have duplicate groups doing the same things using different methods and tools, however, in todays economy I guess I should be promoting it to save jobs.
A third party audit should be no replacement for proper management. I certainly agree with you that little feuds within a company are totally disfunctional and not the proper way to run a business. However, does that violate a requirement? Did you write that up as part of your internal audit? If so, why didn't it resolved? If you didn't, why?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What ever happened to Medical Device Risk Management, anyway? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
Jim Wynne Virus Hoaxes or, What Ever Happened to Fact-Checking? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
G What ever happened to ISO 9000-1,-2 etc ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T What ever happened to MIL-STD-45662A and MIL-HANDBOOK-52 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
H Ever given an Operations Manager an internal Corrective Action Request? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
E Interesting Discussion Was this the fastest ever stage 2 ISO9001:2015 audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Claes Gefvenberg Worst measuring equipment ever? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
F Is Testing ever a legitimate Risk Mitigation? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
Marc Lake Mead Plunges To Lowest Level Ever - 2016 World News 10
P Has anyone ever heard of the Eastern Weighing and Inspection Bureau? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
Hershal First ever college football playoff? 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
H Most Poorly Written FDA Warning Letter Ever? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D ?Pa? Capability Index - Has anyone ever heard of this? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
drgnrider How to control documents that most likely won't change ever ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M What is the best question you have ever been asked? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
C Have you Ever Wished You Could Audit Your CB Registrars and Notified Bodies 24
P Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates" (Volkswagen term?) - APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 11
I Has anyone ever heard of Registrar QSRD-International? Registrars and Notified Bodies 36
K Have you ever behaved differently because you were being watched? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
S Have you ever "used" an auditor to achieve a goal? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
J Ever heard of having a Controlled SOP template? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
L Dry Lube Application (Ever lube 620) - Manual Application vs. Automated Spray Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Ever gone "Dry-Dock fishing?" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
M Best Problem Statement Ever - (Caution - Childish Scatalogical Humor Ahead!) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S As a Customer, have you ever been Surveyed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
D Using Regrind - Anyone ever used a deduster to improve quality of material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
apestate FAA Regulations: Is it ever OK to sign off on nonconforming type certified parts? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
S Cappsnt Software - Has anyone ever used Cappsnt software for a CMM? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Jim Wynne The Lamest Nigerian Scam Email Ever Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Manix The Toughest Decision I have ever had to make! Director or Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 16
R CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) - Ever heard CMMI? Software Quality Assurance 5
0 Anyone ever worked with the program Rapidminer to datamine databases Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
T Resolution Analysis - Has anyone ever performed a Resolution Analysis? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Has anyone ever heard of Informance software? Monitors machine uptime/downtime (OEE) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
N Ever heard of GJB 9001A-2001 Standard? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Has anyone ever been harmed by a CMM (coordinate measuring machine)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
I Have you ever heard about TOSI (polymer)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
GStough Microsoft InfoPath - Anyone Ever Used This? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Has anyone ever written a Quoting Process? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Marc How fast is the fastest you have ever driven a land vehicle? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 105
J As a consultant, have you ever fired a client? If so, when? Consultants and Consulting 54
C Ever come across an ISO 9001 certificate with more than 3 years validity period? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
GStough Anyone Here Ever Move from ISO 9001 / ISO 13485 into AS9100? Career and Occupation Discussions 3