What exactly does Configuration Management in ISO 9001, Clause 7.5.3 means?

L

luis.armendariz

I'm still dealing to understand the concept "Configuration Management"on 7.5.3, what exactly that means? How this configuration management helps on traceability? or how it is carried out?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome to the Cove.

1. What industry are you in? Configuration management is a term used in certain industries such as aerospace.

2. Under the Note section of clause 7.5.3, it tells you that in some industry sectors (aerospace is an example), configuration management is a means by which identification and traceability is maintained.

3. Although the term Configuration management is not used in most other industries, be aware that activities like control of documents is a form of configuration management.

S

Sinatra321

Yer agree with Harry.

You need to indentify the status of the product with respect to measurement and monitoring requirements. Control and record the unique identification of the product, where traceability is a requirement.

Whoever came up with the term "configuration management" should be drawn and quartered.

What this really is, is something that most every company already practices, at least to some degree. you may know it better as revision level control.

What do you do to ensure that you build something to the version that the customer specified? Mainly you ensure that you are using drawings with of the correct revision. How do you do that? You ensure that the revision the customer has specified is what is actually used in production. That is often done by making sure that the revision level on the traveler matches the customer order, and that the drawings used during production match the traveler.

Regardless of how you handle this, the term "revision level control" is much more easily understood.

By the way, there is an ISO standard on configuration management that you may find useful for guidance.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Whoever came up with the term "configuration management" should be drawn and quartered.

What this really is, is something that most every company already practices, at least to some degree. you may know it better as revision level control.

What do you do to ensure that you build something to the version that the customer specified? Mainly you ensure that you are using drawings with of the correct revision. How do you do that? You ensure that the revision the customer has specified is what is actually used in production. That is often done by making sure that the revision level on the traveler matches the customer order, and that the drawings used during production match the traveler.

Regardless of how you handle this, the term "revision level control" is much more easily understood.

By the way, there is an ISO standard on configuration management that you may find useful for guidance.
Configuration management may go beyond revision control to include internal requirements, such as packaging (where it's not specified by the customer), pricing and billing requirements, and a host of other possible things that must be done for a given product.

Agreed, Jim Wynne! Config Management can be much more than simple drawing control. In software it's a lot more, for example. It can also mean interdependency of components in assemblies where mechanical products are concerned, for example.

Configuration management may go beyond revision control to include internal requirements, such as packaging (where it's not specified by the customer), pricing and billing requirements, and a host of other possible things that must be done for a given product.
I made that comment in haste and in reading it again I realize that I left out an important part.

I usually say that configuration management is MOSTLY revision level control. I should have this time as well.

I have learned that many people have greatly tangled ideas as to just what configuration management is, and once they understand its relationship to revision level control it is much easier to comprehend.

But you got me thinking, so I went to ISO 10007:2003 to refresh my memory on what is there. From the introduction:

"The purpose of this International Standard is to enhance common understanding of the subject, to promote the use of configuration management, and to assist organizations applying configuration management to improve their performance.

Configuration management is a management activity that applies technical and administrative direction over the life cycle of a product, its configuration items, and related product configuration information.
Configuration management documents the product?s configuration. It provides identification and traceability, the status of achievement of its physical and functional requirements, and access to accurate information in all
phases of the life cycle.

Configuration management can be implemented based on the size of the organization and the complexity and nature of the product.
Configuration management can be used to meet the product identification and traceability requirements specified in ISO 9001."

Then into the definitions:

"configuration - interrelated functional and physical characteristics of a product defined in product configuration information"

"product configuration information - requirements for product design, realization, verification, operation and support"

"configuration management - coordinated activities to direct and control configuration"

"configuration item - entity within a configuration that satisfies an end use function"

Next, it should be pointed out that ISO 10007:2003 is a guidance document, filled with "shoulds", not "shalls".

Perhaps one of the best reasons for practicing configuration management can be found in AS9100C 7.5.3 (Traceability):

"The organization shall maintain the identification of the configuration of the product in order to identify any differences between the actual configuration and the agreed configuration."

So I'll leave it to anyone reading this to come to their own conclusions. I would still say that from my perspective I would stand behind my ammended statement that configuration management is MOSTLY revision level control, and I would conceed that it does include more, in some cases quite a bit more.

L

luis.armendariz

Thanks guys for your responses, I'm on electronics and metal mechanical industry basically.
I read all your notes plus one short article that I downloaded from internet, trying to make a short summary what I understood is that configuration managent is:

Having all the status/history of a product/lot/batch/run/etc. including:
1) Unique identification
2) By whom the products/lots/etc were biult/inspected/released
3) Date and shift
4) What number of assy line/machine/measuring equipment/etc was used
5) Materials/components used
6) Supplier where materials/componentes were used
7) Customer where the product/lot/etc was located
8) Drawing revision used for manufacturing
9) etc.

Is that closely correct?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What exactly does 4.2.3.1 "Engineering Specifications" in ISO/TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
S What does OEM exactly mean? What does "equipment" include? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R NIST - Primary Standard - Traceable to what? What exactly does that imply? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P Arena simulation, How can my Arena model have exactly the same output each time I run it? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
qualprod What is exactly the root cause? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
E PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly? APQP and PPAP 15
Q Exactly which are the records needed by ISO9001? or is it my decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Crusader Who is "Top Management" exactly in ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A What exactly is Facility Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Control Plan vs. Inspection Plan - What exactly is the difference FMEA and Control Plans 5
S What exactly is retesting? Is re-analysis and retesting the same? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K What exactly is Digital Product Definition? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Definition Contract Review - What exactly is "Contract Review"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
ScottK What exactly is a "Process of Record" and what goes into it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Who exactly needs "ISO Training" in a company? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
R Definition What is exactly meaning of word between "Supplier" and "Vendor" ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R What exactly would a Stage I Assessment consist of for ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Precontrol - What if two points are exactly on the limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L ISO 14001 4.4.4 d) - What exactly are the documents and records required by ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
Q Control methods - What exactly are 'control methods' in a Control Plan APQP and PPAP 6
Crusader Where do I exactly implement TS 16949 - minimum? Only 2% of business is OEM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A What exactly has to be included in a TS 16949 records matrix IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Six Sigma is now said to be a set of tools - What, exactly, are they? Six Sigma 24
D Automotive manufacturing process - Our process isn't exactly like APQP APQP and PPAP 5
T Not responsible for product design - Exactly which parts of 7.3 do not apply? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F Definition Retention Zone - What exactly are you calling zones of retention? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D APQP - No two companies conduct their APQP/PPAP activities exactly alike APQP and PPAP 2
M Exactly how high in the organization is it necessary to have training records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
D Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly Cm / Cmk are? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D What exactly is needed on the subcontractor list for evaluating subcontractors QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
G When does containment event not require 100% sort? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
H Does this clause mean i must be in compliance with AS9100 or is 9001 enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Does ISO state in anyway that we MUST keep physical first piece parts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
XRAY_3121 Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing?? US Medical Device Regulations 5
F Change in address for critical supplier - does NB need to be informed? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
S Brexit ISO 13485:2016 + Corrigendum - What does a UKCA DoC require? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Does anyone know about tobacco-free nicotine pouches? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M How does FDA determine OAI and VAI after inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
N FPY requested for an industry that does not have rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0