What falls under the 'Customer Property' according to ISO 13485:2016

Christie

Regulatory Affairs
Thank you Marc!

As our company manufactures Sutures and Mesh; What can I include while making SOP on "Customer Property" (Supplier Agreement and Certificates, Supplier Self Assessment Reports, Artwork and Labels demanded by Customers).
What else I am missing here?

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
Here's an example I have experienced: You say you manufacture sutures and mesh. You have a customer that would like to have it integrated into one of their kits/products and your company is willing and has the means to package it for them. They send their parts to your company and you provide the final packaging and labeling to have the final configuration sent back to them. Their material and products has to be isolated (so not to be mixed in with other products) and cared for using the same quality system as you use for your own products.

Christie

Regulatory Affairs
Here's an example I have experienced: You say you manufacture sutures and mesh. You have a customer that would like to have it integrated into one of their kits/products and your company is willing and has the means to package it for them. They send their parts to your company and you provide the final packaging and labeling to have the final configuration sent back to them. Their material and products has to be isolated (so not to be mixed in with other products) and cared for using the same quality system as you use for your own products.
Thanks Edward! There's no case like this.

So, Can I just add these (Supplier Agreement and Certificates, Supplier Self Assessment Reports, Artwork and Labels demanded by Customers) to Customer Property?

Edward Reesor

I have a separate folder for Supplier Agreements with specific suppliers as sub folder within the Quality System folder. This also contains their own quality certificates (their own 13485 certs, for example) as I find it easier to track expiration dates for certifications during my internal audits. For customers, I also have a separate folder with all the relevant information (labels, artwork, etc) in the Technical File for the specific device. I hope this helps.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't consider supplier agreements and copies of ISO certs as customer property. Supplier agreements are your contracts. Copies of ISO certs are external documents. Customer property is owned by your customer. For example, material provided by your customer to be used in your product to be delivered to the customer or product returned for evaluation or repair.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
It may well be that you have no customer property that falls under this (I agree with @Al Rosen regarding agreements and such). Does your customer give you anything that requires your custodial care? Other examples might include a label printer, a special gage, a computer, maybe even some special documentation.

Tagin

I agree with Al that the items listed are not 'customer property' in the ISO sense. They may be covered, though, in different sections of 13485, depending on the specific contents of the documents:
  • Supplier Agreement and Certificates - 4.2.3,4.2.4, 4.2.5, 7.2.1
  • Supplier Self Assessment Reports - 8.2.1, 4.2.5
  • Artwork and Labels demanded by Customers - 4.2.3,4.2.4, 4.2.5, 7.5.1e
Note, for example, that if the customer instead provided the physical labels, then that would be customer property.
If they instead provided, say, a silkscreen stencil for your company to use to make labels, that would be customer-supplied tooling.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
If they instead provided, say, a silkscreen stencil for your company to use to make labels, that would be customer-supplied tooling.
The label design would probably fall under customer intellectual property as well since the customer provided the design.

Edit add: My ex- worked for a company which printed labels, boxes, etc. The customer provided the artwork and as such was the customer's property.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Still having trouble as to what equipment falls under 8.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
S How to determine what rating an article falls under - 14 CFR Part 145 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
M Qualtiy Planning - Do you think this process falls under 4.2.3b? How about 4.1.2.2? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Statistics Question - What percent falls above 105? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc Paying Attention and Keeping Eyes Open - Girl Falls into Floor Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
Marc Airline Crew Misses an Inspection - Aircraft Door Falls Off Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Revalidation under VDmax25 following material change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Reusable surgical Instrument is under class IIa? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Are EC type examinations still being conducted under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
V Sister companies selling same medical device under different names ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna What ISO Standard (under the TC 176) supports the UN Sustainable Development Goal #10? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Plastics cans shelf life determination under static load Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Advertising and promotion of device under investigation China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Breast Pump under MDR classified as medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 9