What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future?

Darshan_Shetty

Starting to get Involved
If someone in medical device RA industry wants to learn a new language, what language should they choose that will be most advantageous to their career?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
You didn't tell us where you live and what is your first language. Since you write here I'm going to assume you already know English.

Generally:
English is essential in today's international MD RA environment. I have no reason to think this is going to change dramatically in the foreseeable future. Other than that I don't see a single language that is clearly a priority, regardless of location and intentions. However --
You might want to learn Spanish if your plans include working for US companies. I heard that there are now more people in the USA whose 1st language is Spanish than English. Plus there's an added bonus of covering most of South and Central America, Mexico, Spain, and some more countries.
IMO Chinese (Mandarin) is going to be more and more useful in the future, not just for MD RA. But it's quite difficult to learn.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I live in the US. What about Japanese? Yall think learning Japanese will give me an edge in RA?
From a narrow MD RA perspective I think that the ROI will be quite low. Becoming proficient in Japanese (especially written, which is where I think the RA advantage will be) is difficult.

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Besides english, Chinese would be the most beneficial in my mind - in addition to the massive market for sales a significant number of products are manufactured there - my life would be considerably easier if I could read the reports that are produced without relying on colleagues to translate.

If you are in the US, I would say Spanish. We have plants where almost all the employees speak only Spanish. Without interpreters and our one bilingual manager, communication would be sub-optimal. Spanish speaking managers are in high demand, in my experience.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K How to Communicate to Operators (Especially Foreign Workers) - Language Issues Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
C Translation Of Foreign Language Standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
L Useful Foreign Languages - Which 'foreign' language would you choose? Career and Occupation Discussions 54
J Foreign Exporter (confused) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S New Foreign Exporter Looking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Y When to Sign up as a Foreign Exporter? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J FDA Establishment Registration Foreign Manufacturer RUO only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C What if the foreign manufacturer of a medical device changes the Authorized Representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K CFG (certificate of foreign government) Requestor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Strategy for Foreign Regulatory Compliance Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Attestation of QA certificate from foreign (EU) Notified Body Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
J 21CFR820 requirements for Foreign Exporter? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I Japanese medical device recall requirements & procedure for foreign manufacturers Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
M Can a foreign manufacturer sell directly to US customers? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
supadrai Establishment registered as specification developer and foreign exporter only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Foreign Exporter Establishment registration Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
V Own foreign manufacturing facilities declared as sub-contractors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) - AS9100 & Hook Assemblies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Calibration and Verification requirement for foreign EASA Part 145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 7
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
F Scientific and Research Papers for Foreign Approved Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
Q Medical Device Establishment Registration/Listing for Foreign Private Labeler Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
S AS9100 FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Y FDA's Inspection Frequency for Foreign Manufacturer Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
E FDA guidance on Foreign establishment registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Establishment registration FDA 'Foreign exporter' 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Health Canada Acceptance Policy of Foreign Clinical Trial Data for Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
Pancho "IRS" Request for recertification of foreign status [SCAM] After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
M Eligible to obtain certificate of foreign government (CFG) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 15
S Becoming an In Country Entity in Foreign Countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
U Do we have to have foreign legal documents? (ISO13485 4.2.3 document control) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Certificate to Foreign Government (CFG) - who is an Exporter ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
E Obligations of Foreign Distributors of US Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
WCHorn ITAR for waiver/exemption for Foreign Persons AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K Certificate of Foreign Government (Distributor in Mexico) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
AnaMariaVR2 ANVISA Considers Accepting Foreign GMP Certifications US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Renewal of "Accreditation Certificate of Foreign Medical Device Manufacturer" Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
I Foreign Medical Device Manufacturer Complaint File Establishment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F When TSA stop to issue new Foreign FAA Part 145 Repair Station? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
N Foreign Manufacturer requesting FDA's CFG over their country's FSC 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
Z Submission of foreign data without IRB approval Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Z Foreign Manufacturer selling in the US - Postmarket Surveillance question Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) and AS9100 compliance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Medical Device Vendor (Supplier) Audits - Foreign Languages and Translations General Auditing Discussions 7
G Country of Origin Medical Labeling - Foreign Content, Domestic Assembly Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Bringing a Medical Device Sample from a Foreign Country into the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Transfer of a Medical Device 510k to a Foreign Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 19