What gage studies are required for PPAP?

P

PPAP QUEEN

When I make disposition on supplier PPAP's I always ask for gage studies for ALL measurement and test equipment used to manufacture the part (per the control plan). I am challenged by the suppliers sometime because there may not be any critical or significant characteristics on the design record or the control plan. They think that only the equipment used for statistical purposes needs to have studies performed. Who is right?

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I think you are the customer and you decide what you want. Just because there are no critical dimension called out there is still a need for gage studies. I would say at a minimum you should require:

Gage R&R
Bias
Linearity
Stability

studies for all types of gages that are used to qualify the dimensions you are monitoring.

If a gage (type) is used to verify conformance to specification it should go through the entire MSA process.

ASD...

A

AJLenarz

PPAP third edition states in I.2.2.10 “The supplier shall have applicable Measurement System Analysis studies, e.g. gage R&R, bias, linearity, stability studies, for all equipment used for new or modified gages, measurement, and test equipment.

QS9000 third edition states in 4.11.4 “Appropriate statistical studies shall be conducted to analyze the variation present in the results of each type of measuring and test equipment system. This requirement shall apply to measurement systems referenced in the Control Plan”.

If it is used to determine conformance to spec and listed in the Control Plan, it should under go a MSA study. The key here is the words applicable and appropriate. You have to give you supplier a little bit of latitude on the selection of statistical tools to qualify the gage. But the rule of thumb is as AL listed… R&R, bias, linearity, stability studies.

P

PPAP QUEEN

Al and JJ,

Thanks for your comments. I will also be contacting my QS auditor from Entella with the same question. I am very familiar with Third Edition PPAP and QS requirements but when I keep hearing the same "argument" regarding gage studies it's time to gather some written documentation other than the AIAG published requirements. For some reason a lot of people loosely interpret the QS requirements.

Hello,
We are doing a PPAP for a customer in the automotive industry (Chyrsler/Daimler). We have completed most of the PPAP and turned it in, but we need to do a R&R Gage study and an Early production Coantainment (GP12). Being new to this, I dont quite understand what this calls for. If you have any information or forms you can pass my way, it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said we are new to this, and anything you can send us would help me out a great deal. If you can, please contact me with anything thing that might be useful to us.
Thank You Very Much,
George :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Attribute Gage Studies - What gages are required to have Measurement Systems Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Establishing a Gage R&R Studies Program in a Testing Laboratory Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to select pieces for GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I Gage R&R Studies For Small Set of Data With Varied Known Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Gauge to Gauge (Gage) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
J Nested Gage R&R - Studies on Crimp Fastener Tools Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Gage R&R studies with 5 appraisers and K constants Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Gage R&R Studies - Part that has 10-20 critical dimensions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
CalRich GR&R (Gage R&R) - How many studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
M Gage R&R Short Study vs. Long Study vs. Other Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
S p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
K Complying with Ford customer requirement 4.35 Variable Gage Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Destructive Attribute Gage Studies - inserted/pressed in parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies for Metal Stampers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Pin Gage - Gage R&R Studies - One Pin or Entire Set? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Long and Short (Variable Data) Gage Studies - Urgent Help needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Justification for not doing Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
S Gage R&R Studies - 1200 operators, 2000 measurement tapes and many characteristics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Gage R&R Studies Excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
ScottK Gage R&R experts please review these studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Antonio Vieira Gage R&R Studies for Attribute Data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R "Gauge (Gage) R&R Studies per MSA Manual" - Customer Audit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
R Minitab Gage R Studies Using Minitab Software 2
J Gage R&R study requirements - What dimensions are you doing studies on? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Identifying Common Pitfalls in GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies - Measurement System Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 29
C Gage R&R studies studies through the full range of the gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Gage R&R studies for Spectrophotometer & Gloss Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
T TS 16949 Requirements: Frequency of Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Gage R&R studies used in uncertainty calculations Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
D Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Requirement to also do gage stability studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Gage R&R Studies - Goodness of fit, linearity and linearity percentage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Gage R&R Studies for Process Monitoring Instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Guardbands - Using Gage Studies to define a guardband Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Gage R&R studies and control plan for PPAP - Critical or Significant characteristics? APQP and PPAP 16
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3