What happened to Firefox?

I have a spot of bother with FF 14.0.1 on a freshly reinstalled Win7 32: In spite of a 100Mbps cable connection, I get a ridiculous 4-5 Mbps out of FF while the latest versions of Explorer and Chrome cranks out at least 75Mbps...

All tests have been done with virus protection on as well as off (the latter is something I loathe doing) and with two different speed tests, one of them being speedtest.net. The results are conclusive: The problem clearly rests with FF. So: What in Heavens name has happened to my longtime favvo browser? At the moment it is quite useless and I am at my wits end. :frust: :bonk: :mad: :deadhorse: :braincloud::yuk::censor::crybaby:

I don't particularly want to, but as of tonight I'm transferring all my bookmarks to Chrome as a hopefully temporary measure. I am definitely not the only FF user hit by this problem. How about the rest of the Cove Dwellers? Anyone else here similarly affected?

/Claes

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
A friend of mine had this issue a bit ago. He said it was 'proxy server' turned on (or off) or something like that. This is from memory so.....

I know this does not give the best answer, but it might lead you into the right direction.

Thank's Michael,
:thanx:

A friend of mine had this issue a bit ago. He said it was 'proxy server' turned on (or off) or something like that.
As a matter of fact this has happened to me as well (years ago), so it was one of the first things I checked. Unforunately there may be a clash between Firefox and the security software (F-secure) after all. They work fine independently, but acc. to some reports they seem to make a pigs ear of it when put together. :rolleyes:

I am stuck with the security software (provided by my ISP) so I suppose I'll stick to Chrome for the time being. After all, links and settings can be transferred between the two of them with the greatest of ease.

/Claes

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Is there a reason not to just stay with Chrome? I used to use Firefox all the time but its performance starting lagging. I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back.

But then there was one website my wife had to use and the only browser it worked on was Firefox. So now I have 3 browsers on our home computers (Safari is the third - we use Macs at home).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Worst of all, I'm still finding websites that ONLY work with Internet Explorer, so I'm forced to keep it on my machine. want some fun? try to update Windows over the internet without using IE.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Worst of all, I'm still finding websites that ONLY work with Internet Explorer, so I'm forced to keep it on my machine. want some fun? try to update Windows over the internet without using IE.

If you want to use MS Update while in Firefox, get IE Tab, an extension that enables use of IE rendering within FF tabs.

Is there a reason not to just stay with Chrome? I used to use Firefox all the time but its performance starting lagging.
No, I may decide to stay with it. I just like the way I am able to set FF up, that's all. I did not like the current clash with F-secure, though.

Errrr... Not my idea of fun, I guess. On the other hand that is just about the only time I have any use for IE..

/Claes

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

There are other ways to do it: allow automatic updating, download the monthly updates individually or as an ISO image which must be then burned to a DVD. You can also use the Windows Help and Support Center (which still uses the IE rendering engine). Updates are released by Microsoft on the second Tuesday of every month.

Windows 7 has its own updater, no IE necessary. Finally.

I am stuck with the security software (provided by my ISP) so I suppose I'll stick to Chrome for the time being. After all, links and settings can be transferred between the two of them with the greatest of ease.
Unless your ISP requires F-Secure, try Avira Free. I have two teenagers and a tech-ignorant wife and we have never had a problem (three laptops, a server/master PC, and my wife's email/gaming PC).

Top Bottom