What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
If a certification body either:
  • Loses accreditation, or
  • Disappears / becomes unreachable
What happens to all the downstream organization that have certificates issued by them, and further downstream of the organizations that use these certificates as part of supplier evaluations?

Specific Case:
Awhile back, we requested a 9001 quality system certificate from one of our suppliers as part of our supplier evaluation/approval process.
They gave us one issued by "beijing zhonglian tianrun certification center (ZLTR)".

I could swear that, at the time, I checked into (insofar as possible) the legitimacy of the certificate and all checked out.
Now, however, I can no longer reach the certification body's website, and despite Google searches pointing to SCC accreditation pages citing ZLTR, the actual SCC accredited list doesn't list them (were they removed? If so, I presume the Google search is just showing cached results?).

In anycase, you can see from a Google search that there are a lot of companies that have certificates issued by ZLTR. If something has happened to ZLTR, what are the downstream effects? How is the industry supposed to respond? How do you monitor this type of thing? Is there anyway to know what happened to ZLTR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Obviously, the primary interested party here are the certified organizations. Have you contacted your supplier that was certified by this CB? Maybe the CB was acquired/merged and communicated with their customers. The certificates I see online for the CB also had SCC (Canada) Accreditation. In the SCC website, I see no mention to this CB.
The IAF Certsearch database returns NOTHING on this CB, but they only have 1019 CB's listed....:lmao:

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...Have you contacted your supplier that was certified by this CB? Maybe the CB was acquired/merged and communicated with their customers. The certificates I see online for the CB also had SCC (Canada) Accreditation. In the SCC website, I see no mention to this CB....:lmao:
No, I just noticed it now while reviewing our supplier records. Purely coincidence, as normally I won't go so far as to recheck the certification body again. I'll shoot off an email to the supplier...

Regarding their SCC: like I say, a Google search turns up some (presumably cached) SCC accreditation pages with ZLTR in the text, however on the actual SCC site, there is no mention ....which leads me to believe they were once legitimately accredited, but are no longer (for whatever reason). It's too bad the SCC and IAF don't have a history list, so you can browse organizations that were once accredited, but are no longer.

Be a shame if true, as the supplier's certificate doesn't expire until 2022. If I were them and my CB just suddenly disappeared and had its accreditations revoked, I'd be pretty pissed. ..but like you say, maybe there's another explanation....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R What happens during a Stage 1 MDSAP audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Brazil: Termination of business relations with BRH – what happens to registrations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
I How to handle pending FSN when incident happens? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Acquiring an IATF 16949 Certified Company - What happens at the next audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R In this type of Legal Manufacturer-CMO arrangement, what happens to the DHR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D What happens when a company loses ISO 9001 recertification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
B What happens to your ISO 9001 registration if you are acquired by a Company Without ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T What happens in an ISO 9001:2008 Re-Certification Audit? General Auditing Discussions 11
Marc What happens when computers stop shrinking? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
A What happens if an External Audit NC (Nonconformance) is not closed in 90 days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B What happens if we evaluate supplier as not approved and there are no anothers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Already ISO 9001 Certified - What happens when we get ISO 13485 registered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Marc What happens when sleepwalkers go online After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
R Control of Non-conforming Goods (Product) - Tracking what happens to the goods ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
P ISO14001 Certification - What happens if we have several minor audit findings Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
A Only One Automotive Customer - If we lose that customer, what happens to our cert? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M What happens if a Major or Minor Nonconformance is found during Surveillance Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Looking for a universal(?) example to illustrate what happens when an error occurs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
B FMEA Evolution: What Happens to Recommended Actions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
F Cpk higher than Cp - Explain the relationship and why this happens? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
M Sites to List on Multi-Site Certifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Q Choosing between ISO 9001 (2015) & TL 9000 certifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Holding Dual Certifications - for AS9100 and AS9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Order and Need for Professional Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 20
A Training as well as certifications for ISO 13485:2016, 21 CFR 820... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
J NADCAP - Supplier Special Processes Certifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Best approach to tackle difficult certifications Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P What certifications to take CQA? Software Programmer Career and Occupation Discussions 1
L IATF 16949: Adding a Remote Location between certifications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Multiple Certifications - Is there an order of precedence? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J ISO 17025, Laboratory Scope and Certifications Requests ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
A What Medical Device Risk Compliance Certifications do you recommend? Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
T Subletting space in a facility and certifications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
N Improving my Quality Qualifications - What certifications, seminars, classes, etc. Career and Occupation Discussions 2
D Any experience with the SME/AME/Shingo/ASQ Lean BOK/Certifications? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
R Supplier Certifications RANT Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
C Battery Powered Beauty Products minimum Legal Certifications Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Understanding accreditation, MoUs, certifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 28
K Seeking NDT Training and Certifications Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Trusting Gage Manufacturer Calibration Certifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T AS9104/3 - New requirements for Auditor Certifications and Recertifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
B What after ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Developing a new Plating Vendor - What software to track certifications Software Quality Assurance 2
C What ISO certifications do I need? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
AnaMariaVR2 ANVISA Considers Accepting Foreign GMP Certifications US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P My two cents on the path to ASQ certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 14
H Are ASQ certifications recognized in Canada? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4