What Histogram Chart is Good for Varying Measurements?

C

cable6

Hello

I want to know whether histogram is a good chart for varying measurements

For eg:(2000;3000;4000)

or X bar chart chart is the best. If X bar chart is best how will you bin the

data

Thanks in advance

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
If you are trying to find out how much the data vary, and want to know if that is changing with time, then the xbar-R set of charts is preferable. For the xbar-R you don't "bin" the data, you plot the actual values of the measurements.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If you are trying to find out how much the data vary, and want to know if that is changing with time, then the xbar-R set of charts is preferable. For the xbar-R you don't "bin" the data, you plot the actual values of the measurements.

Many people somehow forget about the time element, but it's an important part of process control. Histograms and chronological charts aren't mutually exclusive, though. There's no reason you can't do both if you want to see the bins and the general shape of the distribution.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Many people somehow forget about the time element, but it's an important part of process control. Histograms and chronological charts aren't mutually exclusive, though. There's no reason you can't do both if you want to see the bins and the general shape of the distribution.

True. One thing Davis Ballestracci mentioned in a class I took from him, which I think is good advice, is that before you do a histogram (or Pareto Chart) assure that the process is stable over the time interval you are collapsing onto the histogram. So - do the control chart first to check for stable time intervals, then construct the histogram.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
True. One thing Davis Ballestracci mentioned in a class I took from him, which I think is good advice, is that before you do a histogram (or Pareto Chart) assure that the process is stable over the time interval you are collapsing onto the histogram. So - do the control chart first to check for stable time intervals, then construct the histogram.

Good point. The histogram should be a picture of a stable process if it's going to be useful. I'm not sure how this applies to Pareto charts, though, as a Pareto chart is only a counting method. For example, it's possible to use a Pareto chart in an effort to achieve stability by differentiating the types of conditions encountered.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Good point. The histogram should be a picture of a stable process if it's going to be useful. I'm not sure how this applies to Pareto charts, though, as a Pareto chart is only a counting method. For example, it's possible to use a Pareto chart in an effort to achieve stability by differentiating the types of conditions encountered.

The issue on Pareto charts can be illustrated with the following example. I am tracking injury rates, and want to work on leading causes of injuries. If I make a Pareto chart of the causes of injuries (overexertion, struck against object, slip/trip/fall, etc) I want to check that I am not in the middle of a trend, a mixture of two processes which would give me meaningless information for causing improvement in injury rates.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The issue on Pareto charts can be illustrated with the following example. I am tracking injury rates, and want to work on leading causes of injuries. If I make a Pareto chart of the causes of injuries (overexertion, struck against object, slip/trip/fall, etc) I want to check that I am not in the middle of a trend, a mixture of two processes which would give me meaningless information for causing improvement in injury rates.

I may be alone in the wilderness, but I think a Pareto chart is mostly useless (or is just another type of bar chart) unless money is involved. The purpose of a Pareto chart is to sort things in terms of relative importance, and the only useful yardstick is cost. Your example of different causes of injuries is just a bar chart, and not a histogram or a Pareto chart, imo.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I may be alone in the wilderness, but I think a Pareto chart is mostly useless (or is just another type of bar chart) unless money is involved. The purpose of a Pareto chart is to sort things in terms of relative importance, and the only useful yardstick is cost. Your example of different causes of injuries is just a bar chart, and not a histogram or a Pareto chart, imo.

OK, I understand it is your opinion. I'd say thought the often quoted Pareto principle is "80% of the problems come from 20% of the causes", so that would imply counts.

Even if you are limiting the use to dollars, I'd still check that the costs were stable prior to Pareto charting.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
OK, I understand it is your opinion. I'd say thought the often quoted Pareto principle is "80% of the problems come from 20% of the causes", so that would imply counts.

If we go to the source, allegedly Wilfredo Pareto's idea was that in 19th century Italy, 80% of the wealth was controlled by 20% of the population. The idea was co-opted by Juran to 80% of money lost is from 20% of the problems; the "significant few." Even in your characterization of the Pareto Principle as "80% of the problems...20% of the causes," it isn't useful information unless we deal with it in terms of cost.

Even if you are limiting the use to dollars, I'd still check that the costs were stable prior to Pareto charting.

A Pareto chart is a "snapshot" of a period of time when things happen, bit it stands to reason to have as much information as possible before making decisions. If you construct two Pareto charts, one today and another next week, and there are significant differences, you know that you shouldn't be taking action until things settle down (when some measure of stability is present). That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do the charts, though. There's a difference between making a Pareto chart and acting on what it's telling you. This idea is fundamentally different from the discussion on histograms, where there should be underlying evidence of stability (Shewhart charts, e.g.) before a histogram is cast.

Top Bottom