SBS - the best value in QMS software

What if information in predicate 510k is obviously wrong?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I'm currently struggling with the following situation:

We've identified a great predicate that has the same technology and indications for use.

But, when I look up their 510(k), I notice that the listed product-code is inaccurate (there is a much more concise code to describe), and the listed review panel is obviously wrong (has nothing to do with the device).

So I'm struggling with the following decision: In our 510(k) should we:
a) Just list the same pro-code & panel, despite them being inaccurate/incorrect, or
b) Correct the error and use a more accurate pro-code, and the correct panel?

(b) is obviously preferable (as the resulting listing would more correctly describe the product), but I'm afraid that it would stall the approval process...

Any advice/input much appreciated...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
5. What do I do if the classification product code on my 510(k) substantially equivalent (SE) or PMA approval letter is incorrect?

Answer: Contact the appropriate review division within CDRH/CBER. The contact information will be at the bottom of the SE letter or approval letter. If the classification product code is incorrect, they will make the correction and send you a corrected clearance or approval letter.

7. What should I do if I notice an error in the product classification database?

Answer: Contact the product code coordinator at 301-796-5640 and the database will be corrected. The product classification database found at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPCD/PCDSimpleSearch.cfm is updated weekly.
Above from HERE

I believe FDA has answers to most questions put in the FDA guidance documents...

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks somashekar, but I think what you've posted relates specifically to:
a) errors in your own 510k letter or listing; or
b) an error in the database

In the case I bring up the "error" is in an existing 510(k). We've obtained much of the 510(k) under FOI, and the inaccurate pro-code and erroneous panel were at the 510(k) submission level, and not in the subsequent acceptance letter or database entry. Apparently the 510(k) reviewer(s) didn't scrutinize these details in the application.

So, I don't want to challenge someone else's 510(k) details, even though any reasonable person would acknowledge the inaccuracy of the procode and incorrect panel.

Rather, I'm trying to survey people's opinions on how I should proceed in using this predicate 510(k) in my own submission. Is it better to:
a) Just list the same pro-code & panel, despite them being inaccurate/incorrect, or
b) Correct the error and use a more accurate pro-code, and the correct panel - Though this will surely attract FDA scrutiny when assessing substantial equivalence?

M

MIREGMGR

I agree with Somashekar.

My expectation is that ultimately you will be asking FDA to fix the predicate 510(k), and they will do so.

Perhaps it won't be a simple process for any of the involved parties, but that's the only correct solution to the problem.

J

Julie O

I recently came across an error in the PMA database. I contacted FDA. It took a bit of emailing back and forth with several different FDAers, in part because it spanned several different groups, but they corrected it within a week or two, as I recall.

You might want to start by emailing DICE and let them find the appropriate person to help you. Or you could start by contacting the appropriate branch, if you feel like you know which one that is.

Unless the information is factually consistent with the information in the clearance letter or 510(k) summary, I would not tell them that it is wrong, based on your opinion. They may think you are trying to argue for a code and panel that you think will serve you better. They get that a lot. I'd be inclined to simply ask why the one code was assigned instead of the other, and why the one panel instead of the other. If it is indeed the wrong code and panel, they will figure that out soon enough.

Would love to know how it goes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Which information about predicate device should be included in 510k submission? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Predicate Device Information for 510(k) Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
R What information do i need to get from the device manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
T Types of confidential information ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S API Spec.Q1 Standards Version in Purchasing Information Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
R Information on obtaining a market authorization for China China Medical Device Regulations 2
B SN95 Respirator Approval Information Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R Risk assessment on IT containers and the information they contain IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
O EN 301 489-1 and EN 301 489-17 - Where do we get the information of the Published versions? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Article 18: Implant Card and information to be communicated. EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A GMDN Registration Basic preliminary Information EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Richard Regalado Automotive News TISAX - VDA ISA (information security assessment) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
JoCam False information provided for Medical Device Registration - What are the implications? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
Richard Regalado What could go wrong with information: Ransomware statistics and facts (2018 to present) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
C Missing routers/documented information Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
MrTetris Unacceptable risk and information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-12 Designating authority’s final assessment form: Key Information Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
L MDR - Information in the instructions for use - clausole 23.4.(z) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K AS9100D Clause 7.5.2.a) - What is considered to be "documented information"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
M Informational TGA – Medical device patient information leaflets and implant cards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q AS9120 7.5.3.2 Control of Documented Information - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J EC REP information and CE Mark - Component of a system that is not a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – Medical devices: Implementation of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (MDR) – Information from the Irish and German delegations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Practical ideas for information labelling in healthcare environment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
M Informational US FDA – Historical Information about Device Emergency Use Authorizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Patient Preference Information (PPI) in Medical Device Decision-Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Where to get information - M6 per WA900 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L VDA 1 Documented Information and Retention (new revision 4, August 2018) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
R Publication of user information in manufacturer website for medical devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E EU MDR GSPR 23.1 information on website CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2