What innovations led to Ford's production line?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
A recent thread on Fordism got me thinking about what allowed the most famous innovation of Henry Ford - the production line - to come into existence.

One example I remember seeing on a documentary once was standardisation of constituent parts. I can't remember it all but a British businessman who made guns for the British Army who defined standard sizes for components used in his weapons. It allowed for closer tolerances and a more accurate weapon.

It also allowed for "off the shelf" components. Prior to his ideas everything was effectively custom made and unique. I think we have improved this so much since those days but the first is always important and this first I think is really important.

Anyone got any other ideas for innovations that allowed Ford to develop his production line? Or who can elaborate on my example as I can't remember the guy's name and could be wrong about some of the details too?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim G

Involved In Discussions
Re: What innovations led to Ford's production line??

Eli Whitney in 1801 made 10 guns all with the same parts. He dismantled them in front of congress in a mixed up pile and then reassembled them. Congress was stunned!!
Two years later Marc Isambard Brunel used the first large scale mass production process to make 100,000 pulley blocks at Portsmouth Docks. Richard Beamish, assistant to Isambard Kingdom Brunel said: "Ten men, by the aid of this machinery, can accomplish with uniformity, celerity and ease, what formerly required the uncertain labour of one hundred and ten."

"Merda taurorum animas conturbit"

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Lewis and Clark took rifles on their expedition that had interchangeable parts. They also took spare parts for them.

Somewhere in my reading over the years about Henry Ford it was mentioned that the meat packing industry had already moved to "disassembly" lines in the slaughter and processing of animals. The suggestion was that these meat processing lines are reverse assembly lines. I don't know if Ford had any exposure to the meat packing industry for inspiration, but the inference is that it was one of the influences to his methods.

TPMB4

I think I got the guns bit mixed in with the standardization bit. I think you are right it was in America with the guns but I am certain there was a Brit who standardized screws or nuts and bolts used in some product. IIRC he produced a whole range of standardized parts which was still used in more modern times (well until metric versions became more prevalent in countries outside of America/Canada).

I must admit I need to do some private research into this. It interests me the path from completely unique and different parts through to the modern production where there is a high degree of uniformity in products. This is kind of what the quality function is a key part of I guess. Just what were the innovation steps from unique craftsmen based production to modern production environment which you could say came from Ford's plant? I bet there were many smaller steps and it is too simplistic to say that before Ford's plant there was nothing. I wonder if his "big idea" was really that innovative or just another smaller step in the industrial journey.

I guess I must find some time to look into it, maybe retirement in several decades will give me that time!!

Wes Bucey

I think I got the guns bit mixed in with the standardization bit. I think you are right it was in America with the guns but I am certain there was a Brit who standardized screws or nuts and bolts used in some product. IIRC he produced a whole range of standardized parts which was still used in more modern times (well until metric versions became more prevalent in countries outside of America/Canada).

I must admit I need to do some private research into this. It interests me the path from completely unique and different parts through to the modern production where there is a high degree of uniformity in products. This is kind of what the quality function is a key part of I guess. Just what were the innovation steps from unique craftsmen based production to modern production environment which you could say came from Ford's plant? I bet there were many smaller steps and it is too simplistic to say that before Ford's plant there was nothing. I wonder if his "big idea" was really that innovative or just another smaller step in the industrial journey.

I guess I must find some time to look into it, maybe retirement in several decades will give me that time!!
The idea of "standards" has been around a long time. Archaeological evidence confirms that building stones for pyramids, temples, etc. constructed thousands of years ago were quarried and cut to size (using a standard measuring stick and some other basic tools like squares and levels to assure uniformity) so they could be assembled at the building site. The archaeological evidence is that the stone chips from cutting to size were at the quarries, NOT at the building sites. Even in the absence of documents, this evidence argues for the concept of a written plan detailing the size and number of building blocks and where they would be applied.

The Bible describes the process for King Solomon's Temple
1 Kings 6

New International Version (NIV)

Solomon Builds the Temple

6 In the four hundred and eightieth[a] year after the Israelites came out of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month of Ziv, the second month, he began to build the temple of the Lord.
2 The temple that King Solomon built for the Lord was sixty cubits long, twenty wide and thirty high.
3 The portico at the front of the main hall of the temple extended the width of the temple, that is twenty cubits,[c] and projected ten cubits[d] from the front of the temple.
4 He made narrow windows high up in the temple walls.
5 Against the walls of the main hall and inner sanctuary he built a structure around the building, in which there were side rooms.
6 The lowest floor was five cubits[e] wide, the middle floor six cubits[f] and the third floor seven.[g] He made offset ledges around the outside of the temple so that nothing would be inserted into the temple walls.
7 In building the temple, only blocks dressed at the quarry were used, and no hammer, chisel or any other iron tool was heard at the temple site while it was being built.

TPMB4

Also the Chinese had a system where volumes of dry goods like rice were measured using bells standardized to a particular set of notes. The sound of the bell was fixed which meant it had a fixed volume. It is relatively easy for people to check that they weren't being diddled by just listening to the sound of the bell shaped measuring container. Neat idea (it was on some documentary I watched so I do hope it is true).

Having said that, I do reckon that there is a difference in standard metrology such as a standard definition of distance or volume and that of machined, cast or otherwise worked items complex in nature. I mean a bolt is not just of a certain length, it can have different heads, thickness of the threaded section, size of the thread, etc. It uses standardized measurements to define these but then another level of standardization is then applied. This I think is a bit more than x cubits by y cubits by z cubits to define a block of stone. Although obviously whenever anything is fixed precisely and controlled by a centralised system (the pharoanic system, the system originating form the first published tables of standardized bolts, etc,) it is is a step forward in the journey.

The Pharoanic (bad spelling) system was never continued into the modern era, there was a break in the continuity whereas the French introduction of metric for example has a continuity into today as does the earliest standardization of nuts/bolts/screws/etc. That can be argued to lead into the production line of Ford in a way the earliest cultures' systems can not. Perhaps early Chinese systems could have a claim for continuity in China I really don't know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Innovations and Best Practice in Software Testing Software Quality Assurance 5
M Informational TGA-led IMDRF Personalised Medical Devices working group meets in Canberra Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Renewables, led by wind, provided more power than coal in Germany in 2018 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
R Air-powered dental handpiece with LED IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Bar Lights vs LED-606 in vision inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Equivalent CE for export to Japan - Stand exibition with LED lights CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
T LED Lighting Manufacturing Quality Checks Benchmarking 4
C CE Mark Technical Construction File for LVD (LED Luminaire) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Korea? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Medical Device or Cosmetic Device in Japan? Hand Held Wrinkle Reduction LED Light Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
R Red LED vs. White Light Inspection Lamp Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Is LED STREP 12v with power supply Class C - IEC 61000 3-2 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P How to prevent the LED wrong polarity when insertion on the production line? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
J Which is better: Plasma, LCD or LED TV? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 39
somashekar Optical epoxy for LED having good thermal shock resistance. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Copy of LED Standard IEC60825 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N Which standard is applicable for IR LED in conjunction with medical devices? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
U Process Ownership - APQP shall be be led by Design & Development Dept? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Ford's MMOG/le Template wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
H FORD's project milestone acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
R Ford Q1 Manufacturing Site assessment result Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
M Ford Q1 Revocation Recovery Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Is normal for FORD EU ask for the PSW every year APQP and PPAP 5
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
V What document to use to document Welding PV testing - Supplier to Ford APQP and PPAP 1
E Ford Phased PPAP and T2 timing APQP and PPAP 1
S Where to get Ford document FAP 03-111 FMEA and Control Plans 10
Q Ford's Q1 Score Prediction Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
V Ford Dimensional Tag Characteristics requirements APQP and PPAP 2
R Ford Motor Company new CSR document - May 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Q1-Ford - Does anyone have any Q1 templates? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ron Rompen Ford Paint Audit Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
S ASTM-D4000 & FORD "ZW" Call-Outs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Dimensional Issues because of the last years FORD Recall Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J JMP Gauge R&R with FORD MSA Data Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V Where I can find an AAR form on Ford Covisint? APQP and PPAP 1
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
V Webasto Ford Exceptions Form APQP and PPAP 1
Marc Ford - Self-parking technology called Fully Assisted Parking Aid World News 1
M Advise on R Chart with Ppk of 17.85 for Ford Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 37
V What Ford Phase PPAP Level should DV testing be submitted? APQP and PPAP 1
Stijloor Ford - June 2013 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Ajit Basrur On Henry Ford's 150th Birthday, His Greatest Insight Has Been Tragically Forgotten Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Ford Motor Engineering Change Level definition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
C Will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Ford SQDCME manual Manufacturing and Related Processes 1