What Inspection Level for Small Lot Size and Special Levels (S1-S4)?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I don't know your product or process, and you aren;t providing much detail, so I can't give much guidance. But if you are using SPC to monitor your process and can create rational subgroups maybe a subgroup sample size appropriate for a X-bar and R chart like 5-10 is reasonable.

There are a lotta books and articles out there on sampling, read-up and find a plan that works for you based on costs and risks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
I don't know your product or process, and you aren;t providing much detail.
My boss does not like it if I provide too much information about or products or processes, sorry...

And I did not find any source explaining the AQL S-1 to S-4 levels, therefore I posted my questions here.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
My boss does not like it if I provide too much information about or products or processes, sorry...

And I did not find any source explaining the AQL S-1 to S-4 levels, therefore I posted my questions here.
The info on Z1.4 on S-1 to S-4 that you posted is about all the explanation that is out there, except you can use the tables and OC curves in the standard to calculate quality parameters for the S sampling plans.

I understand wanting to keep info private, but you can't expect much help when you ask, essentially, "how do I get from this place to that place" when you want to keep the address a secret. We can tell you about maps and GPS, but you have to find out on your own.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
So, I have two questions: 1. How to apply S-1 to S-4 for finished batches, and 2. how to calculate in-process sample number.
I can't help with the derivation question, although I seem to remember searching for this information myself a long time ago and coming up empty. Two observations, though: The sampling tables are lot inspection requirements and should not be applied to moving processes. Also, unless you're sampling is random--each member of the population has an equal chance of being chosen--all bets are off anyway. The sampling plans are based on the assumption that sampling is random.

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
The info on Z1.4 on S-1 to S-4 that you posted is about all the explanation that is out there, except you can use the tables and OC curves in the standard to calculate quality parameters for the S sampling plans.
I think, the issue is that I miss either intuitive examples or straight numbers in the standards.

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
I can't help with the derivation question, although I seem to remember searching for this information myself a long time ago and coming up empty. Two observations, though: The sampling tables are lot inspection requirements and should not be applied to moving processes. Also, unless you're sampling is random--each member of the population has an equal chance of being chosen--all bets are off anyway. The sampling plans are based on the assumption that sampling is random.
Yes, we do not manufacture, we have contract manufacturers. And they ship the products to our warehouse, and we do incoming inspections according to AQL. And they manufacture according to our product specifications, and do the in-process samplings also according to our specifications. I just try to find out, how these numbers were calculated years ago, but nobody involved at that time is working either here nor at the CM...

Most examples I have found so far are for APIs in pharmaceutical industries, but they are not very transferable to my processes, I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Visible particles inspection in powders for injections. Approaches to AQL level Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A Level 1 vs. Level 2 vs. Level 3 Inspection Requirements - AS9100 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q AQL - How do I determine Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) for In-Process Inspection? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
B Customer Inspection Frequency and Rejection Level Criteria - Sample Lot Size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
B Choosing Inspection Level and AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
M AQL and the impact of increasing Batch Size, or changing Inspection Level AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
H Need help with AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) for a QC inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
P Inspection Level Interpretation - ANSI Z1.4-2008 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N AQL - Sampling plan (variable, inspection level ii, normal inspection S-method) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
S AQL .65 Level III - Take a particular component off 100% Inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
T Special Inspection Level 3 (S-3) per ANSI Z 1.4 & its relationship with ISO 2859-1 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
D Confidence Level II or Inspection Level? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Difficult Inspection Level/AQL - Verifying it is the correct part AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
R Identifying Inspection Level for Critical Components - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W How to choose the correct General Inspection Level & AQL level...? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
T What is AQL, Inspection Level, and Type of Inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
J Testing Potential New Hires for a Low Level Part Inspection Position Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Using AQL to get true random sampling using General Inspection Level II AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
R What is the 95 x 95 Inspection Level? Either an attribute or variables type plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A DCMA inspection for a drop-shipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Review and Update of Device Establishment Inspection Processes and Standards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Inspection/sampling economics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M 3rd Party Sorting and Inspection Company Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 4