Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

What is a Control Plan at "Material Level"?

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
IATF 16949:2016, clause 8.5.1.1 text
"The organization shall develop control plans at the system, subsystem, component, and/or material level for the relevant manufacturing site and all product supplied, including those for processes producing bulk materials as well as parts."
Please explain what is control plan at material level.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Judging from this hierarchy, I would interpret it to mean at the raw material level to you as the organization, meaning the steel/copper/brass, plastic resins, rubber compounds, etc. that you may use. If you are strictly an assembly operation, this may not be applicable.

John Predmore

A control plan for purchased product is how you assure quality. At the material level, how do you assure quality of raw material? You may buy ½" diameter bars and I buy ½” diameter bars, but I buy from a catalogue and your requirements demand you specify hardness, surface finish, straightness, etc.

My control plan may be nothing more than check the packing slip against the purchase order and make sure I received the quantity and catalogue number that I ordered.

Your control plan may require metal certifications traceable back to the steel mill, maybe you have an incoming inspection department which does physical testing, maybe you pay for metallurgical analysis of grain structure. The degree and extent of incoming evaluation, documentation and control is how you or I assure the material meets our needs.

Rameshwar25

A control plan for purchased product is how you assure quality. At the material level, how do you assure quality of raw material? You may buy ½" diameter bars and I buy ½” diameter bars, but I buy from a catalogue and your requirements demand you specify hardness, surface finish, straightness, etc.
But, control plan at component level also contains details of raw material- size, material grade etc. There is no requirement for a separate control plan at material level if we make only part from bulk material.
I am more convinced reply of Mr Miner. My perception is now that control plan at material level is required for bulk material production. If we are making a part from purchased bulk material, we need not to make it.

Rameshwar25

My control plan may be nothing more than check the packing slip against the purchase order and make sure I received the quantity and catalogue number that I ordered.
Pl do not restrict control plan to only material inspection. It includes all steps from raw material receipt to packing and dispatch with more focus on manufacturing processes.

Top Bottom