What Is A Controlled Document?

G

George Trybulski

How and when is a controled document a controled document? We have Process Conformance Sheets that we use to gather variable and attribute data for inspection. We have this form pre filled out as to individual inspection criteria for each of our approx. 1000 jobs in Microsoft Word and have a footer note stating the "form identifier" (mm3000-001)and the revision date. We are deciding to change the form identifier however we have to go into each individual form and change the footer if we decide that. The question is- quality records have to be "controled". Can we just call the form the "Process Conformance Sheet" and just write a procedure on how the completed forms are controlled as to retrivel,use,storage,and disposal ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
George,

I assume you print this out with each job you run. Why not set the footer to print the current date, and thus give you an method to trace your revision history.

Good Luck, Carol

G

Greg Mack

Hi George,

I posted this morning a definition I use for "Uncontrolled Documents" so I guess I could provide some assistance by giving you my definition of a "controlled document" and here it is:

"A document that is maintained and updated. Controlled documents are formally approved and their distribution is traceable to enable changes to be executed".

Hope that helps.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A couple of other thoughts:

A controlled document is typically one that is Revision sensitive - BUT - Not always!!

If a controlled document is changed, a record of the change has to be made. This means we must have a History of Changes.

If a document is changed, people who use it must know about the change. This means there has to be a distribution list or other effective way to let everyone who uses it know the document has changed.

Every employee must know how to check to see if documentation they are using is the most current version.

D

Dan Larsen

"To control or not to control...that is the question" :) I've had so many discussions with clients on this and it keeps coming up.

I suggest they use this test. Is the item you're considering for control significant enough or used somewhere in the system that if an old (out of date) item is used to perform the work, there is a possibility the work could be performed wrong? If the honest answer is "yes", then the item should probably be controlled.

This still doesn't take care of all the questions, but it does prevent a few. And, of course, I'm constantly trying to refine "the test", so any other thoughts are welcome!

K

Kelly DiMare

These descriptions of controlled documents are really helpful to us as we undergo our ISO implementation. What about email though? Frequently we receive information from customers or internal contacts via email, and it may get printed by several different people. If questioned about revision control of the printed copies, is it sufficient to point to the subject title and sent date? Or must we start using "Received"/"Copy" stamps?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh, that dreaded e-mail!

I have seen and heard so many LONG discussions about e-mail and I'd like to hear what everyone else is doing.

We have set up our systems to treat e-mails like a phone conversation where the e-mail will be confirmed via our regular systems (such as an order placed by e-mail would be treated like a verbal order and a confirmation of the order sent). Where an e-mail documents a change to a customer specification, by the customer or shows that a customer has agreed to accept an alternate product in lieu of his original requirements, etc., the e-mail is then treated like a letter from the customer and attached/filed per standard practice.

I have talked to some people who feel that every e-mail should be saved electronically as well as printed and filed, but to me that seems to pretty much negate the whole concept of electronic mail?

E

energy

If the accidental deletion of an important e-mail causes a break down in the system, results in a lost document or some other snafu, it should be printed. I view it only as a convenience between two or more parties. The tracking feature is important when sending out directives or important messages. But,it all should be printed and treated like hardcopy correspondence.
My opinion.

K

Kelly DiMare

Good points...

I agree that printing everything will contradict the purpose and convenience of email, and hope to avoid that. A good rule of thumb seems to be the question posed by Energy- will the accidental deletion cause the breakdown of the system.

A specific scenario comes to mind, however:

Say 3 employees receive the same data from a customer via email- and print it, use it, etc. - but subsequent changes are made to the data. How do we ensure that all 3 employees are aware of a newer version of the data?

The answer I like is to make sure the same 3 people are copied on any future messages regarding the topic. But I was wondering if anyone has been questioned on something like this during an audit...

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Kelly,

At the risk of asking a dumb question, what kind of information would the three employees get that would not be recorded in some form such as an addendum to the order, change orders to the work order or traveller or whatever your system calls them, or changes to customer's specs/requirements/base files.

I am sure that I haven't thought this question through completely, but off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that would come from the customer and be implemented and produced without some sort of system wide documentation that would show everyone that the change was made. Now you have me wondering what I might have missed, please fill me in further!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Work Order Form (Controlled Document)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Training template - controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
E Do all Controlled Document copies require a Stamp? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Employer Warning Notice a Controlled Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Definition of a controlled document --> is a form a controlled document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
T Should a supplier self assessment form be a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Controlled Document Binders on the Production Floor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Is facility floor plan a required controlled document? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Are signatures required on every page of a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
B Controlled document training requirements and structure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Does this document (housekeeping checklist) need to be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Document Control - Different documents which must be controlled not identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
R Should Internal Audit criteria be a Controlled Document? Internal Auditing 5
J Controlled Document Requirements for Marketing Materials Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Does a Document Distribution List need to be a Controlled Document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
N Must Templates be controlled? Controlled Document Query ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Preventing Photocopies of a Controlled Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Chennaiite Controlled vs. Uncontrolled Document - Clarification requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Controlled Document vs. Controlled Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Document Control Defined? Determining what documents must be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K A document is controlled when......... Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
GStough Internal Audit Checklist as a Controlled Document - Pros and Cons Internal Auditing 19
A Document Control File - Identifying all documents which need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
H Distribution of Controlled Copies - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T Controlled Documents - Can a word document and excel spreadsheet be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Design and Development Planning - Controlled Document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Have you seen and What is an Unusual Controlled Document Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
A Does the PSW (Part Submission Warrant) need to be a controlled document? APQP and PPAP 7
B Stamping Documents as "Controlled Copy" - Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Stamp Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
B Document and Record Matrix - A controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Interesting Discussion Controlled Copy Stamp - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 70
V Should the EMS manual be a controlled document? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
S Definition Controlled Document Definition - What constitutes a controlled document? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
M Examples of DCR (Document Change Record) Log and Document Controlled Log Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F CE Mark Technical Files as controlled document in ISO9001 QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Document Control Terms: Obsolete, Master Copy, Controlled and Uncontrolled Copy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J What is the difference between a controlled document and an uncontrolled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Customer Quality Manuals - Document of external origin and must be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
P TS16949 - Should specific process notes be considered a controlled document. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Controlled Document vs. Uncontrolled Copy - Stamp requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J How to determine which is the 'master' "controlled" version of document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J Document control - ISO 13485:2003 - Obsolete controlled documents shall be retained? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7