What is a Level 3 PPAP? Blueprint says "Level 3 PPAP is required"

D

davidguo

I am new here and I have a question here:
We are making a stainless steel part for a customer and the blueprint says,"Level 3 PPAP is required".

What that means?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

While Marc's questions need to be addressed before we can help, this part is currently in the production phase - correct? Do you mean you're new here at the cove (Welcome, by the way :bigwave: ) or you are new at your company and unfamiliar with the automotive market and its demands?

(Another BTW - I don't think I've ever seen that called out on a drawing before :nope: )

Q

qualitytrec

I would sugest that you get a copy of the AIAG PPAP Manual and look it over. I also, have never seen the PPAP requirement called out on the print seems strange but whatever works.

Level #3 means that you have to give:
1) Part Samples
2) Supporting documentation that the parts meet specifications (i.e. part layout, material certifications, lab certs, gage R&R, etc...)
3) Part Warrant

Page 54 of the PPAP manual has a Part Warrant.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I asked what I did because it states what each level is right on the warrant.
Level 3 - At Customer Location - Warrant, Parts, Drawings, Inspection Results, Laboratory and Functional Results, Appearance Approval Report, Process Capability Results, Capability Study, Process Control Plan, Gage Study, FMEA.
That said, it's not going to help very much if davidguo does not understand the basics of the APQP process. I thought if we knew davidguo's level of knowledge we might be better able to help.

NOTE: I have attached a copy of the 'old' standard warrant. Some of the new ones have a place for the part materials breakdown submission.

Attachments

• PPAP Warrant.xls
    27 KB · Views: 927

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
davidguo said:
I am new here and I have a question here:
We are making a stainless steel part for a customer and the blueprint says,"Level 3 PPAP is required".

What that means?

As this is your initial post I would like to give you some insight to the answers that you received at first light they might have appeared to be curt.

All questions can be answered at a number of levels. To those of us that have had any contact witrh the Automotive industry the ancronym PPAP is as familiar as ABC.
If you have no knowledge what so ever then to be able to answer at your level we need some back ground information.
Another aspect is that the term PPAP is so common that in fact if you found this site you could have as easily found the answer.
Whilst we are happy to help, your question is like asking how to surf the net!

To allow us to help you please do a little research first
try here APQP - Advanced Product Quality Planning

A search of this forum for "level 3" showed 57 threads.
Including this QS-9000 level 3 PPAP - Can anyone inform me on the process? from the last month

Please help yourself to allow us to help you.

Best wishes

J

jackylpt

Hi Guys,

I am also a freshman in this area. Thank you guys so much let me learn about this. But I also want to confirm a question. The problem is "S,R and *" in Retention /Submission Requirements Table I.4.1.

I guess "R" just means comapny keeps this document itself and send customer if customer want .
"S" means company have to send this document to customer and keep a copy by itself
and"*" also means keep in company and send it to coustomers if they want .

But the point is I think "*" and "R" are little bit same. I was confused by it. :confused:
Does anybody can help me? :thanx:

Michael

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
jackylpt said:
Hi Guys,

I am also a freshman in this area. Thank you guys so much let me learn about this. But I also want to confirm a question. The problem is "S,R and *" in Retention /Submission Requirements Table I.4.1.

I guess "R" just means comapny keeps this document itself and send customer if customer want .
"S" means company have to send this document to customer and keep a copy by itself
and"*" also means keep in company and send it to coustomers if they want .

But the point is I think "*" and "R" are little bit same. I was confused by it. :confused:
Does anybody can help me? :thanx:

Michael

Welcome,
They are very similar apart from the R needs to be at manufacturing sites and readily available.
As far as I know level 4 is for bulk materials.
Thye important thing is to know what your customer wants.

J

jackylpt

Dear Howard,

Thank you so much for your kind help.

But I still confuse about the difference between "R" and "*". Would you please tell me about it?

I do appreciate your help. :thanx:

Michael

Top Bottom