What Is A Machinery FMEA (MFMEA)? SAE J1739, Section 5.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
When I ordered standards from ***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** (link was techstreet dot com), it said that Process FMEA was replaced by this new document I have in front of me, POTENTIAL Failure Mode and Effects Analysis For Tooling & Equipment (Machinery FMEA)

The first page of this document says The content of this document is the technical equivalent of SAE J1739, Section 5. Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis for Tooling & Equipment should be used by suppliers to companies subscribing to QS-9000 Tooling & Equipment Supplement, or Equivalent Document.

Our customer is asking us to use Potential Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA). I cannot find this document specifically. DFMEA, P(rocess)FMEA, this MFMEA I have... I'm confused.

What are they asking for, and what is most current?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

First of all, the PFMEA has not been "replaced" by anything.

Are you designing a machine or piece of equipment? If so, you may need a DFMEA for your customer (if they require it). Typically, I cover all aspects of the machinery in my PFMEAs (Failure Cause column).

Don't know if that helps you, but if you aren't product design responsible, the only FMEA you should need for your customer is the PFMEA.

The AIAG FMEA manual (3rd ed.) is a pretty good source for completing both P & D FMEAs.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
What is a machinery FMEA

4 what it's worth. The machinery FMEA covers all aspects of the piece of machinery or equipment as they relate to the customer's use. So aspects of design that might lead to failure, aspects of manufacture that might lead to failure and aspects of installation that might cause the machine to fail.

The main difference in severity is that MFMEA considers the impact of reliability and maintainability as well as any safety implications.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
duuuh

should I get SAE J1739?

I'm confused on these documents. We're a screw machine parts shop making parts for Tier 1.

we do APQP, MSA, SPC, FMEA, and PPAP.

(M)FMEA is the wrong document for us, this I'm sure.

I have an old (P)FMEA supplied by a customer three years ago, it's a copy and falling apart. I'd like the latest revision of the FMEA document most (or properly) suited to our manufacturing.

another question I have. My understanding is, I'm doing a potential failure modes and effects analysis for cutting parts out of stock on a screw machine.

This is confusing because the document is aimed at systems of a whole, which has sub-systems and components. I am making one component of a sub-system of a hydraulic filtration system. I am not design responsible for any of it, and we don't know what the parts we're making actually go into. What they do is a matter of looking at the piece and making an educated guess.

What I'm getting at is: do I need to know any of this, or is my potential failure mode and effects study an analysis of what could make these parts out of spec during a run?

Which document do I want to use as a reference and standard? SAE J1739 seems like it covers all of them. Maybe I should call the customer for details, or will I sound incompetent?

J

JaySturgeon

Question

One important question here. You say you are not design responsible. Let me ask you: Did you get a DFMEA from your customer.

If not (and I never do) you are only resposible for the PFMEA from the standpoint of what can go wrong in your process. Part of which needs to adress how that may adversly affect the customer and/or end use of the product.

Hope this helps.

J

JaySturgeon

FMEA Third Edition

Sorry forgot to give a little direction here.

You need to look at the FMEA Manual Third Edition starting wiht page 33.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Machinery FMEA (MFMEA) Information FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Machinery FMEA (MFMEA) Training for a QS-9000 TE Supplement company Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B Machinery FMEA Handbook in electronic format FMEA and Control Plans 5
C How to develop an Equipment / Machinery FMEA - Remember the key word: Predictive FMEA and Control Plans 7
P Marking Machinery for Israel CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Q Bespoke Machinery Process Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Machinery Directive vs. MDD Comparison Matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 6
N Minimum Design factor for CE Marking for machinery CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Sample Technical Construction File for Machinery Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
V Equipment/Machinery Validation in ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Production Control and Traceability - Manufacturing Fishing Vessel Deck Machinery Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Should I include documentation for Machinery that isn't in use? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D CE Marking Modified Machinery CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
R Analysing Scrap from Machinery Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Is there an expectation to meet harmonised standards of the Machinery Directive? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Packaging Validation - New Machinery - Terminally Sterilized Medical Devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
J CE Mark - Technical File Help - Machinery Directive 98/37/ec CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Work Instructions - Processes - Does all machinery need to have work instructions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Recast Machinery Directive (May 2006) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
samer Machinery Acceptence Criteria Determination? Chemical Blending (Pharmaceutical Plant) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
Z Audit Check List for Safety Machinery - Conformity with OSHA 1910 General Auditing Discussions 7
D Machinery qualifications runoff requirements QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M Machinery Qualification Runoff test QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
M How is TPM related to Software Engineering vs. People and Machinery? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37