What is a Six Sigma Tree? Fault tree analysis?

6 Sigma Tree

Our customer, Delphi, has asked us to do a "6 sigma Tree". Does anyone have experience and insight regarding 6 Sigma Trees? It seems to me to be Delphi's CA/8D d'jour.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rob Nix

I just asked a Delphi guy out on our shop floor if he'd ever heard of a six sigma tree, and he said, "no, I never heard of that".

However, a google search turned up isixsigma.com's definition of a "tree diagram" as follows:

Breaks down or stratifies ideas in progressively greater detail. The objective is to partition a big idea or problem into its smaller components, making the idea easier to understand, or the problem easier to solve.
Perhaps that is what is being referred to.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I just looked at the Delphi Covisint Supplier Community Portal (whew!) and found no references or updates to any of their Supplier requirements.

Let us know if you find out from some other source than the Cove.
Bill

R

Rob Nix

Dave,

I saw that one when I was searching google, and it does appear to be a rudimentary fault tree diagram (as Ben suggested).

D

Dave Strouse

Don't Understand

SteveTIB -

Why don't you ask your customer what it is they want?

Probably way to simple.

Are you thinking it is better to get numerous opinions from this forum and hope you maybe get what they want?

If you are too shy to ask them to clarify specifications and requests that are unclear to you, will you long remain a supplier to them?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
When in doubt - ASK!

Dave Strouse said:
SteveTIB -

Why don't you ask your customer what it is they want?
I echo Dave Strouse. This is all part of Contract Review. Delphi is unfair when they "assume" [broken down into its usual components] all suppliers live and breathe the Delphi program.

My complaint with customers like Delphi almost always concludes with some variation of "When I become Ruler of the Universe . . . ."

Bigfoot

Involved - Posts
I echo the comments of Dave strouse and Wes. Ask them what they are after in clear terms. If they can't provide you the information on how, where, what this Tree is or is supposed to look like, then I would suggest using the Fault tree analysis. I am currently supplying Delphi and have not heard of this. :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
R How to implement Six Sigma within an IT-driven organisation? Six Sigma 14
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
G IQF Six Sigma DMAIC Certification vs. ASQ Certification Six Sigma 4
D Determining Sample Size for Capability in Six Sigma Project Six Sigma 5
C Using CSSGB/CSSBB as a Title - Six Sigma Question Six Sigma 3
T Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 6
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5
N What are three kinds of flow in Lean or Six Sigma? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
N How to start Lean and Six Sigma in an Organization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7