What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier

S

Simpan

Hello,

I would like to have your oppinion regarding what PPM level that would be appropriate for a Plastic Injection Moulding supplier.

We have an aim to reach 800PPM and I think that is quite low for this type of industry.

Looking forward to get your input regarding this matter.

Have a nice day/
Simpan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
one of the things that I've found is that for injection molding (or any other 'supplier industry') the standard or expected shipped ppm value is related to the end use customer's needs. Medical instruments will have a higher quality level need than adolescent 'jewelry'.

shipped ppm can also have an effect on your customer's productivity. (some defects result in assembly problems and not necessarily in end use problems.) If you have a world class Customer who is continually trying improve their productivity they will require ever improving ppm levels for these types of defects...

for internal ppm values your profit margin and ability to ship on time are the guiding drivers.

S

Simpan

Thanks for your answer Bev D. :thanks:

We have received different PPM-values from different customers, so thats no problem for me. Our customer demands varies between 850 - 2000PPM.

What I would like to know is what other Plastic Injection Moulders has for PPM-target internal.

Have a nice evening/
Simpan

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a personality flaw that leads to me believe that when someone asks that type of question they will use the answer to justify being just like the other people...in other words they will settle for being average.

So I would ask - what will you do with the answer? I look to other organizations that have very low ppms and ask how they got there? are they profitable? are they more profitable than companies with higher ppm values?

I have a plastic injector molder who struggles to meet our shipped ppm levels. they routinely shut our line down and they complain about how we always want too high a quality level. internally for them, I see a LOT of inspection (that isn't very effective) and a LOT of scrap. It's easier for them but really eats into their profits. but it's easier and they justify their internal scrap and inspection costs as "being consistent with other injection molders".

sad

The PPM level for a plastic injection moulding supplier is linked to the end use customer's needs. The shipped ppm also does have an effect on your customer's productivity. If you have a finicky customer who strives to improve the productivity, they will require improving ppm levels to fix these types of defects. Most customers demand varies between 850 - 2000PPM.

I hope this will be helpful!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A What is the appropriate PPM Level for Sheet Metal Fabrication? Benchmarking 5
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E What are appropriate deviations for a LHR/DHR? (Medical Device Company) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S When is ISO 13485:2016 6.4.2 Contamination Control appropriate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Le Chiffre Is ISO/IEC 27001 appropriate for most small businesses? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
W EU GMP Annex XI - What is an "appropriate QMS"? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
N Taking exception to REACH Requirement - Appropriate Language REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
Q When does the FDA deem something "where appropriate"? 21CFR820.30(g) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
Y "As appropriate" in ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
D What is the appropriate way to write a conclusion from a % contribution result? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Why customer satisfaction is not appropriate regulatory objective in medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C What is the most appropriate Bioburden Test Method for Surgical Gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
J Lean Appropriate KPIs for a Distribution Centre Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
I Is ARIMA (Time Series Analysis) Model appropriate for this Dental Research? Using Minitab Software 4
L Most appropriate Auditor to check the FMEA & PCP of a Manufacturing Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Appropriate In-Process Monitoring Frequency for 2X per day Change Set-Up. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Appropriate ways to address Competency? Generic vs Specific ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Appropriate use of the REF symbol in IVD kits and kit components Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
somashekar What is D&D Output for appropriate information for Production? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D General Guideline for an appropriate Sample Size for measuring Cp and Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Appropriate Statistical Methods to set up an Alert/Warning Limit Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
B What is the Appropriate Sample Size for a Customer Survey? Customer Complaints 5
J The appropriate Attribute MSA for Automatic Visual Inspection Machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Appropriate Test Environments for In-Glass Liquid Thermometer Calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R How to select appropriate standards for Multi-Functional Physical Therapy Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
T Appropriate Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Project Proposal? Six Sigma 10
I ASQ CQT Exam - Appropriate study time and best resources recommendations Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
T Determining the appropriate Sample Size using an AQL Table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 29
B Appropriate Standards for Food Packaging Adhesive Manufacture Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
O Can anyone recommend appropriate standard for Reliability Testing of Cables Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C What is the most appropriate MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C What is the appropriate DPPM for to be used In-Process Inspection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Pp/Ppk & Cp/Cpk - Which is appropriate for Long/Short Term Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
K Recommendations for an appropriate Recorder used at low temperature (Below 500?F) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M z Test vs. F Test - The most appropriate for comparing the Variances Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B Appropriate ISO Clauses reference in Procedure Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Starting an MSA study - How to decide which is appropriate or required Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
somashekar Hazardous Waste: Is this an appropriate interpretation Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
G Appropriate Processes for Information Security Management System (ISMS) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
N Which is more appropriate Regular or Short Run control charting? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Two situations where it is appropriate to add further Hazard Audits to Internal Audit Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
B Appropriate Statistical Analysis Technique question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4