What is considered a Training Record? AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2

Q

QSM_user

AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training. The organization shall:
...e) maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills and expericence

my quesition: what is considered an APPROPRIATE record? what sets the requirements that would establish a training record?

Thanks for your reply

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What is considered a training record?

AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training. The organization shall:
...e) maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills and expericence

my quesition: what is considered an APPROPRIATE record? what sets the requirements that would establish a training record?

Thanks for your reply

Records should be used. For example, records of competence may be used by workers, supervisors or managers to determine resources available and resources needed. Therefore you could ask the users of the records what data they need recorded or what information they need for making management or improvement decisions. :read:

On a broader point, System Managers should ask users to specify the information they need from their system and use these specifications to determine the data to be collected and analyzed so they can be delivered as information (data made meaningful to the user). :evidence:

If you decide on what is appropriate without involving the users then you will end up with more unused records. :frust:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: What is considered a Training Record?

Records could be the registrazion of a followed training , a certification gained to perform a job, a series of projects completed by an employees, that show evidence of his/her experience, some examples of diploma or bachelor, PhD of a worker in his/her personal folder...

Thanks for your reply

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource

Our registrar cites the following as examples of training records:

• Signed application
  • Resume/Curriculum Vitae
  • Signed affidavit
  • Copies of certificates
  • Diplomas
  • Attendance sheets from training

Randy

Super Moderator

I have an A&P license in my pocket...a copy of it would be a record.

Anything that is documented, that can provide verifiable evidence of training, education, skill or experience would or could be considerd a training record.

There, you have now been trained on training records, so therefore a copy of this could be a record of that training.

But don't focus on training, the standard requires people to be competent not trained. Training may be one way, but not the only way competence can be achieved. I've seen many people in aerospace that have had tons of training but cannot perform.

What opportunities did Orville and Wilbur have for any aerospace training? I think it would be safe to say that they were competent in design, building and flying the aircraft of their period....and competence is competence regardless of the date.

Q

QSM_user

Thank You all for your reply. All of your responses were very helpful. I agree with focusing on complying with "competence" rather than seeking for training records.

AndyN

Moved On

Thank You all for your reply. All of your responses were very helpful. I agree with focusing on complying with "competence" rather than seeking for training records.

Great! A record that someone has undergone some form of competency evaluation, against some defined criteria is of far more use. Too many organizations waste huge sums of money throwing training at people hoping some will stick! Often, all they succeed in doing is filling trainers' pockets!:mg: (unless the training was provided by my friends here...)

Top Bottom