What is ISO 9004:2000? Is it an auditable standard?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
What is ISO9004:2000? Is it an auditable standard? or Is it a set of guidelines to improve the system? What does it do with ISO9001:2000? How are these two related to each other?

Thanks in advance,
Raffy

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
ISO 9004-2000 is a guidance document and can be used by an organization that wants to expand beyond the "cert. on the wall" compliance. If you use it and make the 9004 guidance a part of your QMS, then it is indirectly auditable.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I only had a chance to skim the referenced document in Jim's post, but one thing caught my eye:

"Since ISO 9004:2000 will be a guidance document, it is not intended to be used for third party
certification purposes. A key element in the new ISO 9004 will be the ability to perform self evaluation,
but third party QMS certifications/registrations will be to ISO 9001:2000, which will
consolidate the current ISO 9001, 9002, and 9003 standards.
[FAQ 035, November 1999; formerly FAQ 013]"

Too bad they didn't drop the 3rd party part. I think lots of companies would have saved lots of money and aggrivation and I doubt that actual overall quality would have suffered. The market has a way of handling such issues as setting quality requirements.

Am I all wet?

Top Bottom