What is meant by FAI (First Article Inspection) and how do we comply? AS9102

G

Goldstarr

Hi members

Under AS9100 one criteria is to conduct FAI. Can someone explain what is meant by FAI and how can we comply to this criteria ? How can we conduct the FAI ?

Response is appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

A

andygr

One way to perform the FAI is to follow the requirements of the AS9102 standard which you can get from SAE http://standards.sae.org/as9102/
Keep in mind that the AS9100 standard does not require you to follow the AS9102 you only have to follow this standard if it is contractually required.
There has been plenty of discussion on performing FAI here on the cove. Just search using the terms FAI, AS9102 to see if your questions have already been answered. If not or you need additional clarification just post back and someone will be glad to help.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
FAI (First Article inspection) or FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) is a document that verifies all requirements of the print/purchase order (or any other document) are checked and verified.

On page 1 you have the detailed information of the part including part number, print revision, supplier code number, and report number (I use the part number followed by the date--the report number has an optional format but needs to be a unique identifier). Also on page 1 is the report numbers for all referenced FAIR's. In other words, if you are putting an assembly together, you list all the part numbers and FAIR numbers.

Page 2 has the detail information for all raw materials, specifications, and special process(s).

Page 3+ has the detail of the characteristic verification. Since I make FAIR's for manufactured parts, this is were I put the dimensional requirements on the print and what the actual dimensional result was.

I hope this overview helps. If you need/would like more information, just ask.

MVladimir

Involved - Posts
Dear friends!
Some aviation organizations that design, develop and/or produce aviation, space and defense products provide post-delivery support, including repair their own products. My question: is it necessary to perform first article inspection to verify that the repair processes, repair documentation and tooling are capable of repairing parts and assemblies that meet requirements?
Any opinion will help!

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear friends!
Some aviation organizations that design, develop and/or produce aviation, space and defense products provide post-delivery support, including repair their own products. My question: is it necessary to perform first article inspection to verify that the repair processes, repair documentation and tooling are capable of repairing parts and assemblies that meet requirements?
Any opinion will help!

Is this an FAI (First Article Inspection) vs FAIR (First Article Inspection Report) Question?

To the FAI - Yes

To the FAIR - per Purchase Order / customer requirement

MVladimir

Involved - Posts
First Article Inspection, not report.
As I understand procedure for FAl, FAl plans, FAl identification in repair documents such as work/shop-order etc. may be objective evidences of FAI performed, not only standard terms (FAIR) to record the results of FAl. Am I correct?

Last edited:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
First Article Inspection, not report.
As I understand procedure for FAl, FAl plans, FAl identification in repair documents such as work/shop-order etc. may be objective evidences of FAI performed, not only standard terms (FAIR) to record the results of FAl. Am I correct?

Having a procedure, plan and identification of the need for FAI are by no means evidence that an FAI is being performed.

Top Bottom