What is meant by number of "items"? Chrysler Layered Process Audit Question

J

jkittle

We have just started to implement LPA's at our facility and as for the reporting of the results I've notice most of the examples here use the Chrysler format.

"Number of items to be audited"
"Number of items audited" ect.

What is meant by number of "items"? Are we talking about the number audit question, pieces of equipment in a given cell or on a line?

What am I looking for here?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Can you post a link to one of the examples so I can get it in context? I have had DCQI training for Layered Process Audits. Without seeing an example, I suspect that we are talking about the number of specific audit questions. For example, if I check the date on my solder paste, that's one item; if I also ask how long it has been out of refrigerated storage, that's two; and if I ask how long the solder has been in the stencil machine, that's three. Three items on the solder stenciling process and I still haven't checked machine settings.

J

jkittle

Here is the standard report for DCX. I'm confused by the number of items to be audited. Example: My audit check sheet for a given cell may have 15 questions. But the cell may have three or four pieces of equipment that pertain to the audit.

So is that four items (pieces of equipment) or just 15 questions (15 items)?

Maybe I'm making this to hard I don’t know.

Attachments

CQI-8 is the AIAG publication that covers LPA. They discuss Audit Items in section 2.1 (page 13). The language of this does not clarify if the "items" refer to individual questions on the checksheet, or categories. When I teach LPA, I really don't distinguish them either for I don't think it really matters. If you want "items" to mean individual things you are going to check (the language kinda leads me to think that), or if you want it to mean areas, that is up to you. I would point out that the items should be those CTQ things and high risk things.

You mentioned the word equipment. I'm not sure that I would have equipment issues on the LPA unless they are related to calibration, error-proofing, or related to process parameters. Once again page 13 gives some guidance on the types of "items" to be included.

My interpretation would be the total number questions of all LPAs scheduled during the period that you are reporting on.
I agree with my buddy from the Netherlands/Ft Wayne!;)

I used the number of thing on the checklist - document control, calibration, training, NCP controls, etc. as the 'items'. We kept it small and simple, so the number was less confusing and, therefore, meaningful. (if that's possible with LPA's) - whoops, sorry, Kales..........my bad!

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
Can you post a link to one of the examples so I can get it in context? I have had DCQI training for Layered Process Audits. Without seeing an example, I suspect that we are talking about the number of specific audit questions. For example, if I check the date on my solder paste, that's one item; if I also ask how long it has been out of refrigerated storage, that's two; and if I ask how long the solder has been in the stencil machine, that's three. Three items on the solder stenciling process and I still haven't checked machine settings.
This is a little off-topic, but not a lot. We are new to being a Chrsyler supplier and I am trying to find where to find the Chrysler Layered Process Audit training schedules,etc. Can anybody help?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
This is a little off-topic, but not a lot. We are new to being a Chrsyler supplier and I am trying to find where to find the Chrysler Layered Process Audit training schedules,etc. Can anybody help?
Hello xfngrs,

This may be an option.

Here is another source for LPA training:
Omnex

Stijloor.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Para 4.6.3c - What is meant by the last part; ...number and issue of...? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S What's meant by ISO9001 clause 8.7 non conforming output? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Validation of Processes - What is meant by 7.5.6 (a) - Defined Criteria for Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M "Value", A product that really meant something to you Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
T Are Control Plans "Summary Documents" not meant to replace Work Instructions? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T What is meant by a Characteristic Classification within GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G What is meant by FAI (First Article Inspection) and how do we comply? AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
G AS9100 - Clarify what is meant by Statutory & Regulatory Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A DMR (Device Master Record): What is meant by these words - Software Specifications? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
P Non EASA Aircraft - What is meant by Non EASA Aircraft? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
K Subgroup Size - Understanding what is meant by Subgroup Size Six Sigma 13
S Does 7.4 apply to products or services meant for Environment or OHS management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B What is meant by "Configuration Management"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 36
H AS9102A - What is meant by 5.2.5, "... approved Special Process sources..." AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Chennaiite What is meant by 'Lesson Learned' in the context of Problem Solving Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C What is meant by two throws, three throws etc, when applied to Compressors? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
W What is meant by Process Approach Auditing and What questions should be asked? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
G What is meant when a datum (feature) is called a "6 way"? GD&T help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R What is meant by "Test Specimens" per AS9100 Clause 7.4.2 f) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Purchasing Information - Trouble understanding what is meant by a), b),and c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A TS 16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 Promotion of supplier monitoring - What is meant by promote? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
F Scheduling Internal Audits - What is meant by 'based on status and importance'? Internal Auditing 35
S Adding new product code/Catalogue number to existing 510K US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
I Restricting scope to one part number for one customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T EN 17141 - number of monitoring locations Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
renenatasha Single Registration Number (SRN) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ed Panek ANNUAL FDA Registration - What 510(k) number to use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B How to change hour format to text but not changing the number ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
Y CE marking with NB identification number EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Notified Body Number with CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L How to deal with the model number symbol for X-RAY PRODUCT Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R UDI Number Identification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Number of Destructively Tested Devices Needed for Ethylene Oxide Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D Number of people to be interviewed during an internal audit? Internal Auditing 10
S How to calculate Effective Number of People for ISO 13485 Certification? General Auditing Discussions 2
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
N How to find column number for the last non-empty column? Using Minitab Software 0
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
B Document Issued with incorrect Document number code Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Are you allowed to reuse the same asset number if the device was replaced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K How to handle GTINs for different configurations of one device with one part number? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
K How can Acceptance Number and Reject Number be larger than Sample Size on Z1.4 Table? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Determining the the maximum number of reprocessing cycles of attachments CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K Why 'FD&C act section number' and 'section number' in the title of the act are different? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2