What is meant by Process Approach Auditing and What questions should be asked?

wak125

Registered Visitor
Could some one elaborate what is real meant by Process approach auditing, I know the definition written in ISO standards, but I want to know what type of questions should be raised to Auditte under Process Approach

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There are a lot of existing discussion threads here on Process Approach. You might want to read through some of the existing related threads and then come back here for more specific answers.

The types of questions which would be asked would depend upon the specific process, and would be about the specific process.

Note that this entire forum (Process Audits and Layered Process Audits) is discussions about the Process Approach.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If you have any more specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

P

pthareja

Without deving into nitty gritty of Technicals: And to add some Humour.

There are several approaches people use-
a) The Index approach:
Start from clause 4
4.1 Have you formally tested your Quality Management System?
Do you have Outsourced Processes?
Just keep on reading lines in the standard and jot down the list of Questions which ultimately line up as a check list.
Go to next clause say 4.2.1

b) The Departmental Approach
Choose the 1st Process
Material Purchase (and Finish up clauses 7.4.1, 7.4.2 and 7.4.3). How it is procured, Tested, Stored, Issued and so on.

Go to next department: Production.
The Processes of the organisation should have been Flowcharted. Just follow the pointers if they are there to direct, and determine the route.

c) The Site Vist Approach
It is similar to Management by wandering around. Auditing is damn easy. Any bad company will give lot of L.H's. (Loop Holes) Big ones.It will be a cake walk in them.

d) The Process Approach:
It is the Right approach. Study a process with respect to the 'system approach to Quality Management'
It is the recommended process of methodically and meticulously following the Audit Trails. Whether the processes have addressed to fulfilment of 'Critical to Quality' requirements/ areas?
It follows a structure which constantly upgrades in terms of questions asked. Meeting customer's requirements --> Obectives --> Planning ---> Criteria of meeting at Conceptual level ---> The requirement of Continual Improvement ---> features of getting your prcesses identified for world class levels.

I am sure you can find some questions to assure the process approach is sustained.

Priyavrat Thareja
www.thareja.com
set up of

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Could some one elaborate what is real meant by Process approach auditing, I know the definition written in ISO standards, but I want to know what type of questions should be raised to Auditte under Process Approach

I would take Marc's advice and explore this forum. There is much discussion about the process approach.

However, there are three categories to address:

1. Audit the metrics for a process, and inputs and outputs.
  2. Audit the sequence of the actual process itself.
  3. Audit the processes which link and support to this process (training, documents, records, calibration, audits, etc..

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
I would take Marc's advice and explore this forum. There is much discussion about the process approach.

However, there are three categories to address:

1. Audit the metrics for a process, and inputs and outputs.
  2. Audit the sequence of the actual process itself.
  3. Audit the processes which link and support to this process (training, documents, records, calibration, audits, etc..
Excellent!!

I would also ask:
-- How the process contributes toward quality and/or business objectives...
-- If there are any CI projects; CARs or PARs.

J

Jon B

The highlights of Process Approach auditing are very insightful and concise.

I would also want to know if there were any standardized methods for operating each process (whether procedures, instructions, or whatever form they might take). Then I would audit to gauge the Process Owner and stakeholder's understanding of the process, how they've been qualified to perform their roles in the process (training, experience, etc.), and their perception on how well the process is working (inputs received from other processes, outputs delivered to other processes, performance measures).

In relation to the previous recommendations, if performance metrics were not being acheived, I'd want to know the plan that was in place to improve performance (if any) and if any of the Owner/stakeholders were involved.

Just some additional thoughts.

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions
The highlights of Process Approach auditing are very insightful and concise.

I would also want to know if there were any standardized methods for operating each process (whether procedures, instructions, or whatever form they might take). Then I would audit to gauge the Process Owner and stakeholder's understanding of the process, how they've been qualified to perform their roles in the process (training, experience, etc.), and their perception on how well the process is working (inputs received from other processes, outputs delivered to other processes, performance measures).

In relation to the previous recommendations, if performance metrics were not being acheived, I'd want to know the plan that was in place to improve performance (if any) and if any of the Owner/stakeholders were involved.

Just some additional thoughts.

Good points and welcome to the Cove.

Are we talking about an internal audit? we could tell you all kinds of questions to ask, but that wouldn't really help you perform a process approach audit.

Firstly, it helps to know something about the process you're going to audit - otherwise you won't know how to deal with the answers - right or wrong.

If you don't know the process, find someone who does (and is impartial) and when going through the various documents which are necessary for good control, get them to tell you what's important about the process. You should be able to develop your questions from that. Alternatively, use the kinds of questions the process supervisor might ask - it's not rocket science.

The 'Process Approach' is one of starting with the inputs, what's planned to happen and following the natural flow of the process, taking into consideration the controls required to ensure a 'good' result (to the plan) - the output. Those controls may be various - people, equipment, methods and/or environment etc.

Try that!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H AS9102A - What is meant by 5.2.5, "... approved Special Process sources..." AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J What is meant by number of "items"? Chrysler Layered Process Audit Question Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 10
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S What's meant by ISO9001 clause 8.7 non conforming output? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P Validation of Processes - What is meant by 7.5.6 (a) - Defined Criteria for Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Mikael "Value", A product that really meant something to you Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
T Are Control Plans "Summary Documents" not meant to replace Work Instructions? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T What is meant by a Characteristic Classification within GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G What is meant by FAI (First Article Inspection) and how do we comply? AS9102 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 26
G AS9100 - Clarify what is meant by Statutory & Regulatory Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A DMR (Device Master Record): What is meant by these words - Software Specifications? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
P Non EASA Aircraft - What is meant by Non EASA Aircraft? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
K Subgroup Size - Understanding what is meant by Subgroup Size Six Sigma 13
S Does 7.4 apply to products or services meant for Environment or OHS management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B What is meant by "Configuration Management"? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 36
Chennaiite What is meant by 'Lesson Learned' in the context of Problem Solving Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
C What is meant by two throws, three throws etc, when applied to Compressors? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
G What is meant when a datum (feature) is called a "6 way"? GD&T help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
R What is meant by "Test Specimens" per AS9100 Clause 7.4.2 f) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
R Purchasing Information - Trouble understanding what is meant by a), b),and c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A TS 16949 Clause 7.4.3.2 Promotion of supplier monitoring - What is meant by promote? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
F Scheduling Internal Audits - What is meant by 'based on status and importance'? Internal Auditing 35
M Para 4.6.3c - What is meant by the last part; ...number and issue of...? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
J ISO 14001 revision process ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
M Process Creation Advice Needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3