Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

What is OHSAS 18000, OHSAS 18001 and OHSAS 18002?

Randy

Super Moderator
Ahh Sidney don't beat your head against a wall we all know that the ILO-OHS document has always been far superior mainly because it didn't require any verifiable commitment, involvement or results, juts a whole lot of "shoulds". We also know that a 3rd certification is truly of no value other than adorning a wall.

Our friend is totally and absolutely correct.

Hello !

Randy, if an organism without any kind of authority on the company says that the company "must" is exactly the same as saying "should" (these standards are voluntary). On the other hand a regulating authority having power on the company does not publish text saying that the company "should"... that's the difference between a standard and a regulation. It would be "interesting" to see a company wanting to be certified on the OS&H regulations of its country ...

Best regards.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hello !

Randy, if an organism without any kind of authority on the company says that the company "must" is exactly the same as saying "should" (these standards are voluntary). On the other hand a regulating authority having power on the company does not publish text saying that the company "should"... that's the difference between a standard and a regulation. It would be "interesting" to see a company wanting to be certified on the OS&H regulations of its country ...

Best regards.
Check out US OSHA VPP

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
- your certificate is true, based on a "ghost" standard (your qualifier "stand-alone" = without recognized organization to support it).
You know? people who propagate fake news might see their membership to virtual platforms cancelled. This is going to be the third time I point out to you who was behind the development of OHSAS 18001. If you say once again this standard does not have recognized organizations supporting it, you are, obviously, bloviating

This edition of OHSAS 18001 has been developed with the assistance of the following cooperating organizations:
  • American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
  • Asociación Española de Normalización y Certificación (AENOR)
  • Association of British Certification Bodies (ABCB)
  • British Standards Institution (BSI)
  • Bureau Veritas
  • Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE), (Gerencia de la seguridad industrial)
  • Czech Accreditation Institute (CAI)
  • Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
  • DS Certification A/S
  • EEF the manufacturers’ organisation
  • ENLAR Compliance Services, Inc.
  • Health and Safety Executive1)
  • Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency (HKQAA)
  • Inspecta Certification
  • Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
  • Instituto Argentino de Normalización y Certificación (IRAM)
  • Instituto Colombiano de Normas Técnicas y Certificación (ICONTEC)
  • Instituto de Normas Técnicas de Costa Rica (INTECO)
  • Instituto Mexicano de Normalización y Certificación (IMNC)
  • Instituto Uruguayo de Normas Técnicas (UNIT)
  • ITS Consultants
  • Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association (JISHA)
  • Japanese Standards Association (JSA)
  • Korea Gas Safety Corporation (ISO Certificate Division)
  • Lloyds Register Quality Assurance (LRQA)
  • Management Systems Certification Limited
  • National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI)
  • National University of Singapore (NUS)
  • Nederlands Normalisatie-instituut (NEN)
  • NPKF ELECTON
  • NQA
  • Quality Management Institute (QMI)
  • SABS Commercial (Pty) Ltd.
  • Service de Normalisation Industrielle Marocaine (SNIMA)
  • SGS United Kingdom Ltd
  • SIRIM QAS International
  • SPRING Singapore
  • Standards Institution of Israel (SII)
  • Standards New Zealand (SNZ)
  • Sucofindo International Certification Services (SICS)
  • Swedish Industry Association (Sinf)
  • TÜV Rheinland Cert GmbH – TÜV Rheinland Group
  • Standards Association of Zimbabwe (SAZ)
- ISO has long refused to create the ISO 45001 because there already existed a relevant and legitimate international reference for OS&HMS (ILO-OSH!).
Another fib of yours. I have reported numerous times in this forum that, for political reasons, ISO was not able to gather support for a OHSMS. As clearly reported in this March 2000 press release.

On occupational health and safety (OH&S), ISO has re-opened the issue of whether or not to develop management system standards to help organizations meet their responsibilities. ISO's national member institutes are currently voting on a BSI (British Standards Institution) proposal that ISO establish a technical committee to transform BS 8800, the British "non-certifiable" OH&S management system guidelines into an ISO standard. Voting ends on 18 April 2000.

After analyzing the results of an international conference in Geneva in 1996 to test stakeholder views on the issue, ISO decided not to go ahead with new work on OH&S management system standards at that time. However, at the national level, a number of ISO members have standards or work in this area which has been welcomed by industry in their respective countries.
Thanks again for your continued support in promoting OHSAS 18001.

Hello !

I'm very sorry my ideas upset yours Sidney. I apologize if possible, but threatening me of exclusion is not a good way to argue your otherwise respectable position.

Thank you for the reminder on ISO's position in 2000. but I have followed all the history of ISO (and ILO) discussions around the OS&HMS issue since that time to arrive at ISO 45001 despite difficulties finally occurred between ISO and ILO.

Indeed Sidney. Regarding birth of OHSAS 18001, this list of organizations has only copy-and-paste the British standard and "publied" it without its "BS" indicative perimeter. This "cooperation" is very light for the supposed "development" (!) of this reference giving a very little legitimacy or authority ... I think this "cooperation" is out of proportion with the true official and international cooperation of a many more organizations that have been developing and validating ISO 45001 now or the ILO-OSH longer ago. (BS) OHSAS 18001 is an outdated reference, but I do not prevent any company from continuing to use it for as long as it wants.

Au revoir.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I'm very sorry my ideas upset yours Sidney. I apologize if possible, but threatening me of exclusion is not a good way to argue your otherwise respectable position.
Let me be VERY CLEAR. I have no problem over dissenting opinions and perspectives. The previous 17 years participating in this space are a testament to that. But I have very little patience for "alternative facts". Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but the facts will remain.

Any attempt to spin opinion as fact will be challenged. It is my duty and responsibility as a moderator in this space. The admin and moderator team of The Cove is committed to keep this space free from disinformation, copyright violations and any other material that could bring this site into disrepute.

In the past, members that demonstrated obsessive compulsive behavior over a single issue have been banned, after being advised to control their behavior. This is NOT a warning to you, but a statement of fact.

Adieu and bon chance.

Top Bottom