What is "Participation in interlaboratory comparison or proficiency-testing programs"

C

Curtis317

We are just starting in the project of becoming a certified lab. Upon reviewing the requirements for ISO 17025. It seems to require that we participate with other lab for "[FONT=&quot]Participation in interlaboratory comparison or proficiency-testing programs" How do we do that? Or do we only need to be prepared to participate with other labs? Basically I am not understanding the requirement. Can anyone help?[/FONT]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What is "Participation in interlaboratory comparison or proficiency-testing progr

We are just starting in the project of becoming a certified lab. Upon reviewing the requirements for ISO 17025. It seems to require that we participate with other lab for "[FONT=&quot]Participation in interlaboratory comparison or proficiency-testing programs" How do we do that? Or do we only need to be prepared to participate with other labs? Basically I am not understanding the requirement. Can anyone help?[/FONT]
Curtis,

As a lab you are accredited (not certified) for your competence in accordance with the requirements of ISO 17025.

You should already be comparing your test results with those of three or four other trusted labs based on testing separate specimens taken from the same samples. And you would be investigating the causes of any discrepancies.

Proficient labs do this to assure the quality of their testing for themselves and their customers.

You should seek to join accredited labs in their comparison or proficiency testing right away just in case you have to determine and remove the root causes of any discrepancies.

Of course, your lab will keep records of the the proficiency sampling, testing, reporting and any corrective actions.

John

Re: What is "Participation in interlaboratory comparison or proficiency-testing progr

First contact the agency you are going to obtain your laboratory accreditaiton. They will have a list of proficiency test programs or program organizers that they recognize that have proficiency tests related to your scope. Second contact that proficiency program organizer and see what it will take to join their proficiency test program. Third sign up for a test or two, receive the samples, run the test, submit the data, and review the results report - note you may have to conduct a corrective action and run the test over again in order to come into the acceptable value range for the sample sent to you.

Alternatively if your lab belongs to an organization that has several like labs, look to see if they have a round robin test every once in awhile. This will be where the organization goes to a manufacturer and has the manufacturer build sample(s) of a typical product all of the labs will see. The sample(s) are sent to all the labs at one time or sent to lab 1 who then sends it to lab 2 who then sends it to lab 3, etc. This method is good if you have at least 10 or more similar labs.

Sometimes the standard writing organizations may have a round robin to confirm a test method. This may include some government owned labs.

Be aware not every type of test is able to have round robins or proficiency testing other than the individuals in your lab taking training which includes a test that is graded.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource

I agree with Tiny Timm - check with your accrediting body first. They will have their own requirements regarding proficiency testing requirements. The body I work with, A2LA, for instance requires that you use commercially available PT programs if they are available.

A couple of free documents you can download that explain more specifically the requirements for proficiency testing are:

https://www.ilac.org/documents/ILAC_P9_06_2014.pdf

https://www.aplac.org/documents/pt/aplac_pt_006_issue_2.pdf

S

S Mittens

Hi Curtis,

I've been having a little difficulty myself with finding a proficiency testing program for XRF, somebody did suggest searching EPTIS, hopefully it might be of some use to you...

(I'm afraid I cannot post links but it does pop straight up on Google)

C

Curtis317

Thank you all for your information and advice. We will be a meteorology lab. Measuring parts to less 0.0001 mm. I will look into your advice and try to contact some labs that we would do the testing with.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions

Thank you all for your information and advice. We will be a meteorology lab. Measuring parts to less 0.0001 mm. I will look into your advice and try to contact some labs that we would do the testing with.
I've just got to ask:
Did you mean metrology instead of meteorology, or are you really going to measure rainfall to 0.0001 mm ? :lol:

C

Curtis317

metrology we have had way too much rainfall. Just measuring parts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John C. Abnet EMPHASIZE the consulation/participation of workers Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L ISO 45001:2018 - Clause 5.4: Consultation and Participation of Workers Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
John C. Abnet ISO 45001:2018 (5.4 - Consultation and participation of workers) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
S ISO 45001 - 5.4 Participation and consultation Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Participation required in OASIS and IAQG? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Incentives to Encourage Employee Participation Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L OHSAS 18001 Participation and Consultation - Incident investigation under 4.4.3.2 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
T Participation in the Document Review Process from Multiple Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Employee Consultation - Communication, participation and consultation Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
S Executive Management Participation in Internal Audits Internal Auditing 8
Hershal Participation...........(Which Clause(s) cause you the most confusion or question?) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Sidney Vianna ISO launches online tutorial on consumer participation in standards development Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Participation as Observer Auditor in an Internal Audit Internal Auditing 4
I In OHSAS 18001:2007 How to demonstrate 4.4.3.2 Participation and Consultation ? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
C Games for mass participation in Continuous Improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
C Consultant Participation in Registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J The Value of Participation Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 14
D Employer support of Elsmar Cove participation and activity Career and Occupation Discussions 48
J Participation and winning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 40
S No Participation QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 20
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J Interlaboratory Testing - Must they all be accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R ISO 17025 - Suggestion for Interlaboratory Comparison Measurement ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Guide 43 Interlaboratory Comparison Test Scheme General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Difference between proficiency test and interlaboratory test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I Proficiency Test and Interlaboratory Variability Testing - Required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
D Interlaboratory Comparisons Test of CMM (coordinate measuring machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Jerry Eldred Interlaboratory Comparisons - I am using RP-15 from NCSL General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
C AS9100D to CMMI Dev 2.0 Mapping & Comparison Matrix Software Quality Assurance 1
T ISO/IEC17021-1 clause comparison Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
E Comparison of Personal Protective Equipment Standards EN 14605 vs GB24539 and ISO 13982 vs GB 24539 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
E Comparison of Respiratory Protective Equipment Standards (China Standard Compare with EU standard of EN149 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
K Comparison: AS9110C vs. C.A.S.E. 1-A AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K Comparison wanted: ISO 15378:2018 vs. PS9000:2016 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
O ISO 13485 vs. GMP - Comparison matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
K Comparison essential requirements EU compared to those of MDSAP countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
L Comparison matrix between IATF 16949:2016 to ISO 12207, ISO 9001 and Automotive SPICE IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P ISO 15378 2015 to 2017 Comparison wanted General Auditing Discussions 4
E 2 participants in inter-laboratory comparison tests ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T MDD and IVD comparison Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Q JIS T 1115 Comparison (Japan Medical Device Standard) Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
A Does anyone have a comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Machinery Directive vs. MDD Comparison Matrix wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Automated and Manual Measurement System Comparison (Correlation) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A ISO 13485:2003 vs. ISO 13485:2016 Differences Comparison ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ISO9001:2015 comparison with AS9100:2016 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2