Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)?

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Hello Miner,

what about level 4? Isn't it like you define what has to be submitted/retained and not defined requirements can be "skipped"?
For example, I received from the customer below requirements:
"PPAP Leve IV: Please submit below documents:
1. Design Record
7. Control Plan
9. Dimensional Results
14. Samples (5 pcs)
18. PSW"

My understanding was, that I need to submit above documents and nothing to retain...

Thank you in advance for reply

Nothing to retain? like even copy? what if the customer audits and nothing to ask for reference?

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Nothing to retain? like even copy? what if the customer audits and nothing to ask for reference?
You retain all of them. This is part of your history record. You even keep of reports/records/etc. that you are supposed to have but are not asked for in your submission package. Your customer will tell you what level they want.

Example - Look at your PPAP submission warrant.

PPAP Submissions 20181119.jpg

Look at : Requested Submission level. What your submission requirements are should have been addressed during Contract Review so you would know the requirements. OR - It could be in a Customer Specific Requirements document.

Bottom line is if you do not know what is to be submitted, find out. Try your SQA. I know some can be unresponsive and a PITA but most are not.

It doesn't matter what you have to submit, you still keep ALL records.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Just replying on the thread saying that nothing to retain, i know all the records to be retained, for reference purposes and for auditor's checklist items

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Just replying on the thread saying that nothing to retain
Yes - OK - You keep records. They are "evidence". You DO keep copies of all records, whether paper documents, or electronic documents, or a combination.

Your quality system should define what records are to be kept and for "how long". And you should have a way to keep up with changes to Customer Specific Requirements, for example. All the companies I have been involved with which "embraced" automotive's APQP process have their "PPAP Submission Warrant" which is for all intents and purposes pretty much always the same as this one (see my capture in post above).

But again - You KEEP copies of every appropriate record.

If you want to see complexity, see attached "Phased PPAP".

Attachments

Last edited:

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
I have a question, regarding on the ISO Audit, we're sticking to the topic about keeping records, can i verify what records to be kept? in order for the CB to Audit? i know the records to be kept, just verifying.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
This is essential - Does your document control system define document and record retention times? Where records are kept and how? Each record you keep should be controlled unless there is what I will call a "very exceptional case". What is the purpose for keeping any record? A record is "evidence". You must have (had) a reason for making a record to begin with, What is/was the reason?

Again - Keep PPAP records whether submitted or not. They are RECORDS... Evidence.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
This is essential - Does your document control system define document and record retention times? Where records are kept and how? Each record you keep should be controlled unless there is what I will call a "very exceptional case". What is the purpose for keeping any record? A record is "evidence". You must have (had) a reason for making a record to begin with, What is/was the reason?

Again - Keep PPAP records whether submitted or not.
This is from my training of internal auditors, the criteria for audits are:
- Quality Manual
- Policy
- Control Plan
- Procedure
- Work Instructions / Job Description / Table of Organization
- Forms
- Records
and this is what's bothering me the records.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
yes sir, for the specific internal audit records, but should all the records/forms be registered in the company? or unless stated on the procedure that all forms used by the company should be registered?

Last edited:

Top Bottom