What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF?

V

vw08417n

I work for a medical device organization and I am having just slight difficulty in making sure I am following the correct procedure regarding DHF, DMR, and DHR's. Our organization currently has a lot of products, some we manufacturer, some we import into the US, some we distribute, what is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF?

From my knowledge, for all products we manufacture we would require all 3 (DHF, DHR and DMR). For all products we import, which one should we maintain? For products we distribute, which should we maintain?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I'll assume that by "distribute" you mean buy on-shore and on-sell devices that don't bear you company's name and/or where you don't own the design, where you are not the regulatory-responsible Manufacturer. For such devices you definitely don't need a DHF or a DMR. You also don't need a DHR, but in some situations it might be handy to have a copy or at least some parts of it.

For devices you manufacture you definitely need a DMR and a DHR. A DHF would also be necessary if your company designed the device, or was responsible for the design / had it designed for under contract. Even if the design is not yours you might need access to the DHF, either as in maintaining a current copy or having contracted arrangements to access it through the design owner. I'm not going to list down all the possible collaboration scenarios because they're limited only by business imagination. If you explain your situation in more detail I might be able to be more specific.

Imporeted devices should generally be treated as either "yours" (similar to devices you manufactured), eg where they are private-labeled, or as distributed only devices, though you'd probably need a copy of the DHR in case there are issues at the point of entry (depends on the device risk level and various other factors). Again, some specifics might allow a more definite response.

Cheers,
Ronen.

V

vw08417n

Marc,

Specifically, we have a company that we import their products from Belgium (Dental Implants). The products are not manufactured by us, nor designed by us, however we are the only distribution in the US. Therefore, as far as regulations, I wanted to ensure that I maintained the proper paperwork on file.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Marc,

Specifically, we have a company that we import their products from Belgium (Dental Implants). The products are not manufactured by us, nor designed by us, however we are the only distribution in the US. Therefore, as far as regulations, I wanted to ensure that I maintained the proper paperwork on file.
Is it an Own Brand Label (OBL) or is it "their" device?

If the Belgian manufacturer's name and address appear on the labeling and your company's name and address don't, or they only appear in addition to the manufacurer's details (without obscuring any meaningful labeling element), while unambiguously highlighting that your company is merely a distributor, then you're probably exempt from the main regulatory responsibility. In that case you don't need to maintain a DHF or a DMR. However, you still have to meet the requirements applicable to Initial Importers.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P UDI-PI and the MDR - Is the UDI-PI required for all devices/classifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5