What is required to run human clinical trials in France

I may provide QMS consulting for a startup medical device customer in France. We are working on developing a QMS while planning out a timeline and regulatory pathway.

This may seem a simple question that I could determine myself by looking closely at the new EU MDR regulations, but can anyone tell me whether a company needs to either pass an EU audit or become ISO 13485 certified before they can perform human clinical trials?

Can you link me or attach a document that spells out the process and document requirements?

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
As Ronen noted, the MDR does detail all the requirements for a clinical trial in Europe (because the MDR is both for putting the device into market, but also is a regulation for clinical trials in Europe).

However, just take care that each country usually have additional processes and or/requirements. For France , you need to check AnSm requirements, for example, and also IRB requirements from the French organization/s that deals with IRBs.

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
As Ronen noted, the MDR does detail all the requirements for a clinical trial in Europe (because the MDR is both for putting the device into market, but also is a regulation for clinical trials in Europe).

However, just take care that each country usually have additional processes and or/requirements. For France , you need to check AnSm requirements, for example, and also IRB requirements from the French organization/s that deals with IRBs.
Can you please tell me, whether it is required to adhere to ISO14155 in European trials related to MDs? does ICH-GCP plays any role?

I have searched through the new EU MDR but do not see any listed requirements for human clinical trials. Is there a companion document that addresses this issue? I've looked at MEDDEV 2.7.1 Rev 4 guidance but it didn't answer this question.

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
I have searched through the new EU MDR but do not see any listed requirements for human clinical trials. Is there a companion document that addresses this issue? I've looked at MEDDEV 2.7.1 Rev 4 guidance but it didn't answer this question.
the Clinical Trials in EU shall be commenced according to ISO14155:2011 (you should read this standard).... But I am not sure if ICH-GCP applicable in any way.........because ISO 14155 is fulfilling all the trial requirements.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Annex XV

ISO 14155 compliance should satisfy the requirements concerning "good clinical practice" listed in Annex XV. There's no obligation to implement harmonized standards but the alternative is justifying how what you do is at par, which is about as onerous as implementing the standard anyway.

Please note that ISO 14155 is currently being revised.

Hi Scott,
You will find more information on ANSM internet site:
ansm.sante.fr/Activites/Dispositifs-medicaux-et-dispositifs-medicaux-de-diagnostic-in-vitro/Avis-aux-promoteurs-Formulaires/(offset)/2

I hope you can read French, as ANSM is not very keen in providing information in English. I can give you further help if needed.

Cheers,

Gaëlle

As Ronen said.

While law is mandatory, standards are not. Laws furthermore do not refer to standards. However, it is basically impossible to not use standards, as they are basically GASOTA (generall accepted state of the art), and an MDM needs to stick to GASOTA.

Make sure to buy the standards from e.g. BSI, because of harmonised standards.

Thank you all for the feedback. The company will be actively looking to hire a local Quality Director that I will work with to design and implement a QMS this year. Your guidance has helped clarify things but lots more to do. Be well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P UDI-PI and the MDR - Is the UDI-PI required for all devices/classifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Is Design Validation required for fixtures or test systems used to manufacture a product? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
P Are red non-conformance bins required anywhere in the ISO or IATF standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational FDA Classifies Suitable Accessories into Class I as Required by the FDA Reauthorization Act of 2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Are Risks and Opportunities Required as Part of the Process Definition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M CE/FCC/Industry Canada - Standards required for Certification for a Bluetooth Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6