SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

What is the advantage of ISO? Private school that teaches from KG to grade 12

M

Mary_ENS

Hello all

I am in the HR department for a school of 181 staff. Its a private school that teach from KG to grade 12.

Well my school wants to get the ISO and asked me to make research about it and how the process and all.

But the thing is i don't understand the benefits that the school get from getting the ISO, How dose it improve our system? What is the advantage do we get?
I know the ISO is important for industrial purpose but what about the educational institution.

Please Help
Thank you

Mary_ENS

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the cove

Many organisations which are not manufacturing are using the methodology of ISO 9001:2000 which is Quality Management System Requirements or as I prefer to see it Quality of Management. In fact in Israel there more than 80 Army units which are ISO9001 registered as well as hospitals and local authorities!

A school provides a service and as such has customers, employees, stake holders etc. The organisation wants to perform as well as possible in the environment that it exists and the framework of ISO 9001 enables it to ensure that there is a methodology for this to happen.
The benifits are that it helps focus on issues and ensures that the organisation is defined and accountable.
If we look at the standard we see that there are 4 main areas
1. Management responsibility- here the school ensures that it has objectives, poloicies and is organised in a proper manner.
2. Resource management- here you ensure that the human and physical infrastructure are in good shape
3. Product (Service) Realization- the manner in which you change the requirements of the customers into actual results
4. Measutrement, Analysis and Improvement- how you manage your measurtemernt and improvement system.
This is very bare bones and can be done with out actual registration to the standard.
Have you actually read the standard, I think that you will find that it is infa ct in quitr clear language.
See this thread ISO 9001 and Educational Institutions (Service Provider)

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
ISO in schools

Hello,

I was involved with a private school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada that was ISO 9001 registered. The benefits to the school were that there was a structure of policies and procedures which covered the operations of the school.

The school performed a customer survey every semester to determine what were the strengths and weaknesses of the school as perceived by the parents.

The other major benefit was that problems were actually resolved and not put aside. It all depends on the culture of the school administration you have now but the standard makes the management more accountable.

Danny

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
DannyK said:
I was involved with a private school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada that was ISO 9001 registered. The benefits to the school were that there was a structure of policies and procedures which covered the operations of the school.
This is true of nearly all public school districts in the US.

DannyK said:
The school performed a customer survey every semester to determine what were the strengths and weaknesses of the school as perceived by the parents.
Which can be done (and is often done) without ISO registration, or even compliance.

DannyK said:
The other major benefit was that problems were actually resolved and not put aside.
So the school needed the threat of ISO auditors in order for its administrators to do their jobs?

DannyK said:
It all depends on the culture of the school administration you have now but the standard makes the management more accountable.
More accountable to whom? IMO, the idea of a school seeking ISO registration represents a ridiculous waste of time, effort and money.

M

MikeL

Been there....

I have helped a couple of schools get ISO Certification (even though there was no support from the Education Department who were pushing their own "Excellence" program).

The Principal of one of the schools told me that, in the year after they were certified, school start-up seemed to go without the usual string of stuff-ups and glitches.

I take this as high praise indeed.

The AS (Australian Standard) 9005 guide for the education sector (1994 std) was a well thought out standard. Haven't seen one against the 2000 issue.

V

vanputten

Compliance Vs Certification

I think it is important to clearly point out the difference between using the standard for improvement and getting certified to ISO 9001.

Mary_ENS may not understand the subtlty in the responses. Her school may choose to use ISO 9001 as a reference point for improvement but not implement all of the requirements. They may wish to become compliant to the entire standard. Or they may wish to become 3rd party certified to ISO 9001.

Mary_ENS: Notice that some of the comments are about using the standard and some comments are about becoming certified to the standard.

Cove members may interpret "getting the ISO" in many different ways.

Mary_ENS: May I suggest that you first clearly define what your product is. Within ISO 9001, a "product" can also be a service. Your school's product needs to be clearly defined. Then, you need to clearly define your customer. After these 2 actions, you may want to tie the customer and product together with the Aim of the school's business (quality) system? Why does it exist? In ISO speak, the Aim is often documented in a quality policy and measured via quality objectives.

These actions may benefit the school more than anything else. These actions by themsleves may provide enough benefit to justify the use ISO 9001

Regards,

Dirk

L

Laura M

Schools are required to have a policy manual - approved by the board of education. The next 'level' is usually regulation, which is more like procedures.

Most districts have a 'mission statement' - ie., quality policy.

To me the most beneficial aspect of ISO in a school or school district is the auditing to the procedures. Usually if we have an 'issue' it's because a procedure is not implemented the same at various buildings (training issue?) Of course that is perceived as restricting principals ability to manage their building which is BS. Corrective Action and Preventive Action would also be helpful. Especially verification a few months later to see if if the change worked. Even better - how about measurement system devices calibration! Should we R&R (teacher to teacher) grading? That would be too much fun!

CA example - we had a report card issue with a software change last year. It was 'fixed.' (CA) - but was permanent action taken. This last marking we had another issue - different, but still involved having to resend report cards. So my question is who is responsible for the process and the process verification? What steps are in place to 'check' before sending. Should a sampling of each grade level be pulled, include AP, Honors, general ed, special ed, middle school and elem school and verify accuracy.

At any rate - I see tons of examples where effective auditing and a CA process can help school districts. Trust me, I'm looked at like I don't know what I'm talking about every time I bring it up. "There she goes bringing up the real world, manufacturing stuff again. Acedamia is a whole different animal and she doesn't get it." Some day.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
vanputten said:
I think it is important to clearly point out the difference between using the standard for improvement and getting certified to ISO 9001.

Cove members may interpret "getting the ISO" in many different ways.
Dirk,

You're right--I did interpret "getting the ISO" as meaning the full-blown disease, which is characterized by an irrational desire for registration, rather than just a few of the symptoms, which could be beneficial in some organisms:lol: .

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
This is one of my favorite subjects.

Here's a guide that NIST has for Baldrige in Education. You can print out the guide yourself or ask them to mail you a free copy. http://www.quality.nist.gov/Education_Criteria.htm Here is a quick runthrough of the Criteria: http://www.taosschools.org/ths/Information/Baldrige/Baldrige_education.htm

Here is a site describing the results various schools have enjoyed after having gone through the process. http://www.baldrigeineducation.org/stories.html

I know you have asked about ISO, not Baldrige. ISO 2000 is more similar to Baldrige than the 1994 version was. Both involve pragmatic establishment of systems. While your school may choose whichever path (the destination is not the point--the growth through during the journey is the point) the info I am sending you to may help explain some of the core principles that just don't occur to most people naturally.

I once made an accreditation project plan for a secondary level technical school. I found the accreditation requirements closely reflected Baldrige and ISO in most respects, so presumably we should expect that accredited schools have functioning systems in place. However, the caveat remains that, like ISO, having a system in education doesn't guarantee high quality outcomes. We must never lose our focus and diligence.

I hope this helps!

R

ralphsulser

The first question I would have is "Who is the customer"
Students, School board, administration, parents, tax base supporting the school disttrict?
Previously I attended and ASQ meeting where the speaker talked about hospitals that were trying to implement ISO9001 and the senior management stated that the Insurance companies were the customers, not the patients.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Advantage between ISO 9001:2000 vs ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Wes Bucey Inspection - Done right, it can be a marketing advantage Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J What is the advantage of having an NCA 3800 Quality Certificate Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
C Advantage of an XR chart vs. Runchart Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
Q 510k for Exempt Class I Medical Device - Industry Advantage to having a 510k Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
J Advantage of having 2 marks - RvA and ANAB, for example Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
Ajit Basrur Environmental Advantage of our Organization - Power Point .ppt presentation needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
A Anxiety - ISO Re-registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P ISO 20400:2017 Sustainable Procurement Implementation Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
R ISO 27001 implementation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
D Can an ISO 9001 Certificate have Remote Locations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W What is okay to use as a reference material for ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R ISO 14971 not harmonized ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
A ISO 14001:2015 clause 4.4 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
A Internal audit plan and processes for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
Moncia Implementing ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 15
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C ISO 80601-2-56 Laboratory accuracy Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
D ISO 9001 - 8.4.1 Evaluate All Suppliers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
M Looking for a copy of ISO 10651 Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 6
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News ISO 9001 Quality Check - spinning facts in LinkedIn ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 1
A ISO 9001 Internal Audits - No production right now due to furloughs Internal Auditing 5
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Customer Property - ISO 13485:2016 Clause 7.5.10 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D "certified" in ISO 19011, as well as IATF required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S ISO/IEC 15408 - Is this is Certifiable Standard? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
D Lead time to schedule an ISO 13485 audit General Auditing Discussions 2
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K ISO 9001 Auditing in a Healthcare setting Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 15
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H QMS ISO 13485:2016 - ISO14971 IEC60304 etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Y How can i integrate ISO 13845 into ISO 27001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
vickyva ISO 14155:2020 CIP CIR templates Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C ISO 9001:2015 8.3.2. h) Design and Development Planning - What is required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Employee Handbook in ISO 9001:2015 Section 7 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
B Operational Procedures for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
D ISO 14971 applicability in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G Trying to get a financially reasonable ISO Certification Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
L ISO 45001:2018 - Clause 5.4: Consultation and Participation of Workers Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
E ISO 13485 in Clinical Trial conduct: Applicable or No ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G ISO 13485 Certification - Can we get the ISO 13485 certification prior to shipment of the device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Richard Regalado Informational ISO/IEC DIS 27001:2021, to be published soon. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
Q Audit report template ISO 9001/14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0