What is the benchmark for Cost of Quality in a Heavy Engineering organization ?

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

We are a heavy engineering company that is not very experienced at measuring the CoQ.

So I?m trying to find the ?expected norms? for the CoQ across a variety of industries, i.e. automotive, aerospace, heavy engineering, etc..

Is there a list published anywhere?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi All,

We are a heavy engineering company that is not very experienced at measuring the CoQ.

So I?m trying to find the ?expected norms? for the CoQ across a variety of industries, i.e. automotive, aerospace, heavy engineering, etc..

Is there a list published anywhere?
You're not likely to find a list, and if there is one it shouldn't be considered reliable. Organizations that think their costs might be relatively high aren't likely to report them (at least not honestly), and because there are no standard methods of calculating costs, comparisons aren't likely to be useful and may be grossly misleading.

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks Jim,

You have echoed my thoughts.

There are parts of our organisation reporting their CoQ as less than 1% :lmao:, the problem is that they actually believe it :frust::deadhorse:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Reverse FMEA - Benchmark for my studies IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Benchmark Control Plan for Helical Gears FMEA and Control Plans 3
M SMED - 2750 Ton Injection Molding Machine Benchmark Benchmarking 3
Z Is There a Benchmark for PPM for Medical Devices? Benchmarking 4
P Benchmark of OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Sourcing Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
bobdoering Documentation Benchmark: The Pentagon's brownie recipe is 26 pages long... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
T EMS Benchmark Characteristics - Your review and comments appreciated Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
C Automotive Quality Benchmark data - Reliability and Durability Quality Metrics Benchmarking 3
M Customer Satisfaction Scale - How to Benchmark Customer Satisfaction? Benchmarking 16
Q Benchmark Survey - FMEA Deployment, Implementation and Use FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Why historical data & benchmark data is important in APQP planning phase APQP and PPAP 6
D How to Benchmark? Is Benchmarking of any value? Seeking advice Benchmarking 34
Q Suggestion Program - Suggestion programs to improve our own and benchmark against Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Looking to Benchmark MFA (Market Feedback Analysis) Forms / Templates Benchmarking 3
M Percent recycle versus land fill benchmark - What percentage are you at? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
SteelMaiden Customer Returns/External Reject Rate - Seeking world class performance benchmark ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Heijunka - Looking for a company we can benchmark in heijunka system Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
T Seeking Company to Benchmark With IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Looking for a benchmark on traceability. Any offers? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 18
M Business plan/ Benchmark - Input of business plan/marketing strategy and benchmarks APQP and PPAP 2
K Seeking Guidance on the most effective items and ways to Benchmark Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
S IEC 62304 - Software verification cost IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Estimated cost for MDR certification Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
JoCam Medical Device Recalls - Manufacturer's obligation for covering cost EU Medical Device Regulations 17
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
T MDSAP AO Cost ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M What is a reasonable MDSAP cost? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Warranty costs - What is your definition of a "warranty cost"? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Establishing a monthly scrap cost target Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
S Handling Cost of Sales requests for Customer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S MDSAP cost per jurisdiction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C What is your Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Sean Kelley Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Cost of Deviating Away From PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
N What is the Cost of Tracking Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Cost to a dealer for a "Declaration of Conformity " "Gost-R" in Ukraine? EU Medical Device Regulations 2