What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949?

earl62

Registered
This statement was mentioned in a meeting in my job, but I don't see anywhere in the standard where this is indicated, unless is a Specific customer requirement by Ford, but I don't see it either, any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Ford define these at the start of the program with its
SCAAF
Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form

The standard expects you to make a decision based on the risk

8.3.3.3 Special characteristics
The organization shall use a multidisciplinary approach to establish; document; and implement
its process(es) to identify special characteristics, including those determined by the customer
and the risk analysis performed by the organization; and shall include the following:

b) development of control and monitoring strategies for special characteristics of products and
production processes;

c) customer-specified approvals; when required;

earl62

Registered
Ford define these at the start of the program with its

Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form

The standard expects you to make a decision based on the risk

8.3.3.3 Special characteristics
The organization shall use a multidisciplinary approach to establish; document; and implement
its process(es) to identify special characteristics, including those determined by the customer
and the risk analysis performed by the organization; and shall include the following:

b) development of control and monitoring strategies for special characteristics of products and
production processes;

c) customer-specified approvals; when required;

Thank you Howard, so if it is not defined in SCAAF then we need to do a risk analysis an determine if using them or not?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thank you Howard, so if it is not defined in SCAAF then we need to do a risk analysis an determine if using them or not?
How would you determine the controls to use for special characteristics without considering the risk(s) involved?

earl62

Registered
How would you determine the controls to use for special characteristics without considering the risk(s) involved?
I understand the part that we need to do a risk analysis, but not sure what RPN number or value in the risk assessment would determine whether to use SPC or not? I guess it is still somewhat subjective.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Decision to implement SPC or not originates in PFMEA.
When company has really know how, you can find it in their PFMEA.
There is shown product characteristic - process characteristic relation.
Without this relation, implementation of SPC is not possible and it is not question of RPN value.
Otherwise SPC would be simple waste of time, because it would be limited only to capability analysis.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I think you should ask your Ford STA Engineer for their latest FMEA instructions. They have specific guidelines for Severity-Occurrence-Detection numbers that are used to come up with the RPN.

thumphrey03

Starting to get Involved
Capability Studies (SPCs) are required as part of the APQP/PPAP Package for new product introduction. If possible, I would reach out to your customer to see what evidence may be required to prove your process is stable.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good day @mslady1 ;
IATF 16949:2016 section 3.1 identifies special characteristic as follows...

Special Characteristics
classification of product characteristic or manufacturing process parameter that can affect safety or compliance with regulations, fit, function, performance, requirements, or subsequent processing of product.

Hope this helps

Be well.

Top Bottom