What is the conversion for PPM defects vs. Sigma Equivalents?

T

Totumfrog

I'm trying to figure out if a chart or cross-reference exists that compares PPM rates to sigma levels. I.E. How is it calculated that 6 sigma is 3.4 parts per million defects? What is 5 sigma? What is 4 sigma? How many sigma is 230 ppms? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Totumfrog said:
I'm trying to figure out if a chart or cross-reference exists that compares PPM rates to sigma levels. I.E. How is it calculated that 6 sigma is 3.4 parts per million defects? What is 5 sigma? What is 4 sigma? How many sigma is 230 ppms? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
You can find the answer in the attachment, DPMO to Sigma conversion, in the cove.

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Remember also that the whole "Six Sigma" system is set up with the mystical
magic.gif
"1.5 sigma shift" built in. That is why you can't simply look up the numbers in standard Z tables.

For 6 sigma, you would look up the Z table for 6-1.5 = 4.5 and find 1-0.9999966 = 3.4 x 10^(-6) = 3.4 PPM are in the upper tail. Then look up Z = -6-1.5 = -7.5 and find that basicallly none are in the lower tail. (OK, OK, I'm sure some of you are dying to know. The actual number is 3.2 x 10^-(14) = 32 PPQ (thats parts per quadrillion, at least in the US).)

Tim F

T

Totumfrog

Thank you all.

I'm thoroughly impressed. I've looked for this conversion on and off over the years. I even asked a professor from a college in Dayton and he could only quote the emperical rule. Thank you for your help. I only hope that I can help someone else someday.

Totumfrog

D

D.Scott

Here is a quick comparison of what Tim is talking about -

Comparison of Process Fallout

Based on Cpk values with 1.5 sigma allowance for normal shift (modern)
Vs
Cpk values assuming no process shift (traditional)

Both methods assume a stable process with normal distribution.

Sigma Cpk PPM Fallout
Modern Traditional
6 2.0 3.4 2 ppbillion
5 1.67 230 2 ppm
4 1.33 6,210 96
3 1.0 66,800 2,700
2 .66 308,000 71,860
1 .33 690,000 >134,000

Dave

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh wise 6 Sigma gurus...why a 1.5 sigma shift? What does that shift apply to all processes and products? In some applications, a 1.5 sigma shift is critical. I just do not understand why when we say 6 sigma it means 6 sigma and not 4.5 sigma!

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Statistical Steven said:
Oh wise 6 Sigma gurus...why a 1.5 sigma shift? What does that shift apply to all processes and products? In some applications, a 1.5 sigma shift is critical. I just do not understand why when we say 6 sigma it means 6 sigma and not 4.5 sigma!
The 1.5 sigma shift is a theoretical abomination which assumes that operators measuring things in production will not react until hit over the head, or that reactions only occur after changes in the process are actually charted, neither of which is true. IMO, the shift is the prime problem with SS, and a sure indication that SS advocates don't understand what production workers do for a living.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Conversion of coordinate dimension holes to position dimension Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Class II to OTC conversion of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B How do you manage your project? Data Conversion and Digitization Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Conversion of fraction to decimal for R&R of english ruler Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
P Effective way for DC/DC conversion for 2 MOPP @ 250VAC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Conversion and Rounding Standard for converting metric to english and vice versa Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
P IEC 60601-1-11 - Conversion to Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Customer Conversion and Retention / Satisfaction Measurement Index Benchmarking 4
S Quality Objectives for Aerospace Chemical Conversion & other Surface Treatment Plant AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
B QMS Conversion including Documentation and Understanding our Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Preparation for AS9100B conversion to AS9100C AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S FSC Chain of Custody - Volume Control & Conversion Factors Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
S Surface Finish - Conversion factor to transform Rz Jis in Rz Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Specification Conversion from Sets to Individual Measurements? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
F Conversion from Agile - Need cheaper FDA compliant software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C Conversion Help!! Print with this dimension .2917+/-.0005 :1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
kedarg6500 Unit Conversion Add-in for Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
I Medical Device Directive, Conversion from class IIb to class III EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A CMM Software Conversion - Converting from Zeiss/Calypso to Brown & sharpe PCDMIS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
K Micron to Inch Conversion Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
P Rockwell, Brinell, Vickers Conversion - Evaluating Aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
E Cost Savings based on 2005 Production - Metric Conversion Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Ron Rompen Conversion of surface finish measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Microfinish conversion - Micrometers (?) to microinches? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Courier Conversion TO ISO9001:2000 / TS16949:2002E IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Conversion from ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I ISO 9000:2000 Conversion Presentation Request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Best 'Units' Conversion Web Site and/or Program Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
S Conversion from ISO 9001:1994 to 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Targets / limits for PPM/ Scrap Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V PPM - Internal PPM / External PPM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
L PPM Defect Rate as a Performance Metric - Are there Flaws? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
N Converting ETO Residual Limits from PPM to mg ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Q PPM - Filtering Defects out of calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ? Customer Complaints 2
L Oil Field Bearing Production PPM Standard Benchmarking 2
V How is PPM (Parts Per Million) Calculated? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L Help with concept of PPM in SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Z Predicting External PPM Capability from Internal PPM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1