What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
premise :- data integrity is larger issue beyond non-compliance to SOP.
an Observation on documentation could be related to any of the aspects of ALCOA+ good documentation practices (GDP) ;

and the question is :- when do we treat GDP as an non-compliance to SOP

vs

an data-integrity issue. should we consider viz.,
1. multiple instances within and across documents and personnel during the audit
2. repeat observations across the audits ( ineffective capa)
3. SOP or training is deficient to outline the requirement

ALCOA+
  • Attributable — Who acquired the data or performed an action and when?
  • Legible — Can you read the data and any entries?
  • Contemporaneous — Documented at the time of the activity.
  • Original — A written printout or observation or a certified copy thereof.
  • Accurate — No errors or editing without documented amendments.
  • Complete — All data including any repeat or reanalysis performed on the sample.
  • Consistent — All elements of the analysis such as the sequence of events follow on and are date or time stamped in the expected sequence.
  • Enduring — Not recorded on the back of envelopes, cigarette packets, sticky notes, or the sleeves of a coat but in notebooks or electronic media in the data systems of instruments.
  • Available — Can be accessed for review and audit or inspection over the lifetime of the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

v9991

Indeed, from meaningful data we may derive reliable information.

Here may be a good place to start in defining the criteria for data integrity:
Meeting Modern Data Integrity and Compliance Regulations
synopsis of the reference is,
* to enable the compliance by design; which involves either procedure-definition or process-controls

even in this article, it references to "SOP on data manipulation"!.

most common policy/sop on data integrity is about the definition and 'actions / punishments'

I am trying to look for the differentiation between GDP & DI.

I might have missed any aspect of the above reference, pl. help.

v9991

premise :- data integrity is larger issue beyond non-compliance to SOP.
an Observation on documentation could be related to any of the aspects of ALCOA+
allow me to take an example,
during the audit, i find that couple of observations where
1. 'reviewed by ' signature are not updated in the log book; (SOP compliance and online documentation)​
2. data is not updated in batch document, as per the recent online monitoring or process controls (online documentation)​
3. data is not legible and recorded on back side of the controlled document ( additional data or rough data for transcription to the format. )​
now the question, is whether / how to enlist above as Good Documentation Practice vs Data Integrity;
1. considering multiple observations ....it should be data integrity?​
2. considering single instance of observation of each type, apart from the activities, cite the QMS, viz., training​
3. considering single instance of observations, cite each SOP and area of observation.​

v9991

allow me to take an example,
during the audit, i find that couple of observations where
1. 'reviewed by ' signature are not updated in the log book; (SOP compliance and online documentation)​
2. data is not updated in batch document, as per the recent online monitoring or process controls (online documentation)​
3. data is not legible and recorded on back side of the controlled document ( additional data or rough data for transcription to the format. )​
now the question, is whether / how to enlist above as Good Documentation Practice vs Data Integrity;
1. considering multiple observations ....it should be data integrity?​
2. considering single instance of observation of each type, apart from the activities, cite the QMS, viz., training​
3. considering single instance of observations, cite each SOP and area of observation.​
I will try to rephrase / simplify the question...
do you treat and address every documentation practices related question from data integrity perspective?
or
do you look for intent-impact for extending GDP to DI.
(premise being, that
DI mode of incident has larger systemic CAPA + definitive action on the specific incident/personnel
GDP on other hand is more process-level CAPA + proportional action at specific incident/personnel)

v9991

I will try to rephrase / simplify the question...
do you treat and address every documentation practices related question from data integrity perspective?
or
do you look for intent-impact for extending GDP to DI.
(premise being, that
DI mode of incident has larger systemic CAPA + definitive action on the specific incident/personnel
GDP on other hand is more process-level CAPA + proportional action at specific incident/personnel)
hey, am i missing any basic point or am i asking obvious question?
:nopity::gossip:

allow me to rephrase...
How do you differentiate data integrity aspects vs documentation practices in your incident sop
do you have standard checklist for screening incident for data-integrity criteria?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Criteria Matrix To Initiate An A3 or 8D ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
M Criteria and when to carry out Setup Approval Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Acceptance criteria for gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Z UDI assignment Criteria Software IVDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
Q Criteria for print shop - How do you consider the cycle time in a print shop? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
eule del ayre IATF 16949 / ISO 9001:2015 audit criteria IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
GStough Auditing Against Criteria Unfamiliar to Auditee - Yea or Nay? General Auditing Discussions 11
M Internal Audit Assessment Criteria - ISO 13485:2016 Internal Auditing 21
S Agreement for allowance for visual criteria after submission APQP and PPAP 1
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8
I Writing a Cosmetic Criteria for Switches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Example ISO 14971 policy and risk criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
D How to set equipment calibration/verification criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Operating criteria for production processes - ISO 14001 Cl. 8.1 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
B The most important criteria of IEC 60601-1 medical devices safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P Supplier (Vendor) Evaluation Criteria - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H CER - Equivalent Medical Devices Criteria - MDR/MEDDEV REV 4 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
K Internal Audit Scope and Criteria Internal Auditing 9
K ISO 9001:2015 clause 9.2.2 a. - Define the audit criteria and scope Internal Auditing 2
Q Criteria to pursue an opportunity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Periodic review criteria for reviewing/updating SOPs US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Validation of Processes - What is meant by 7.5.6 (a) - Defined Criteria for Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Medical Device Validation Protocols and Reports - Acceptance Criteria Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
V Selecting System Precision Criteria - System Suitability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N ISO 13485:2016 - Supplier Selection Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Software Unit Acceptance Criteria (5.5.4) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
J Acceptance Criteria in 8.1.1 e) of IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
O Acceptance criteria bacterial endotoxins immunosera for human use Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
W Supplier Selection Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q Criteria for not rising NCR's in 8.3 of ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R - Simple vs Complex Techniques Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Can ANSI Z1.4 sampling plan be used for sampling alone without the Acc/Rej criteria? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Risk Acceptability Criteria - Probability and Acceptability Level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
Q Can a fail still be a pass? (Criteria Level B for 61000-4-6 Conducted Immunity) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A 5.5.3 - Software Unit Acceptance Criteria (Risk Control Measures) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
M What is the criteria for "small-scale device" regarding CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 2