What is the cut off value of coeffcient of variation ( %)

A

arnima

what is the cut off value of coeffcient of variation ( %) , above which the variation is considred to be significant ?????or At what coefficient of variation the data is considered to be homogenous???????

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

The 'correlation coefficient' is designated by 'r' where r is:

r = (1/n)(SUM[(x-xbar)x (y-ybar)]) divided by (sigma subx)(sigma suby)

where n is the number of pairs and x & y are the values of the two variables. To test for whether the apparent correlation is significant use a 't' test where:

t (no. of sigma) = r multiplied by the square root of n

If t is greater than 3 consider there is a significant correlation

M

Mark Smith

Rick,

I was just scanning the forums and noticed your reply to this query. She is asking about the significance level for a coefficient of variation or CV! It is defined as STDEV/MEAN *100.

It is hard to quantify exactly where it becomes a significant value since it depends upon how much variation in whatever is being measured your business can tolerate. I would use it as a relative measure when comparing groups of data. Similar to comparing STDEV between populations. Hope this helps.

K

Ken K.

I've really never seen much use for the coefficient of variation.

Does anyone out three use it regularly? Any tips?

D

Don Winton

Marc is correct.

The coefficient of variation is defined as the standard deviation divided by the mean as a percent [(s/Xbar)*100]. It is used primarily when comparing two distributions that are either:

• The data are different units, or
  • The data are in the same units, but the means are far apart.

The coefficient of variation has no units. It measures relative variability, that is, variability relative to the magnitude of the data.

<font color=#c001c0><blockquote>…what is the cut off value of coefficient of variation (%) , above which the variation is considered to be significant ?????</blockquote></font>

Since CV is used based upon the above uses, CV in and of itself is not significant. Significance applies when comparing two or more variances. Typically, when determining significance for two variances of different units, some method would need to be applied to convert both variances to the same unit.

<font color=#c001c0><blockquote>At what coefficient of variation the data is considered to be homogenous???????</blockquote></font>

Coefficient of variation does not determine homogeneity.

Ken K.,

Yea, I use it some, but rarely.

Regards,

Don

------------------
I was better but I got over it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Hard cut off date for certificates to be issued against ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Y How to cut off Extremely High and Low Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J First Mile Stone/Cut-Off Date for AS9100 Transition - R.I.P. AS9100 Rev. B AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
T What is the significance of "Cut Off Length" in roughness and waviness measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P What is "Cut off Length" in Surface roughness tester Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Labeling Cut Off Material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Defining the RPN cut off number - Working on the top 3- 5 high RPNs? FMEA and Control Plans 4
DuncanGibbons How are part cut out specimens made and tested? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Hershal Fire disaster in Southern California (Blue Cut fire) - August 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
somashekar Adhesive Seepage from Die Cut Parts Edge Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
Jim Wynne Measure Twice, Cut Once: The French Railroad Snafu World News 18
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
AnaMariaVR2 Lazy Lawn Mowing (Lazy Way to Cut the Grass!) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Fender1 PPAP-PSW Accuracy Concern - Laser Cut Holes In Formed Fabricated Steel Part APQP and PPAP 15
M Vinyl and Cloth Cut Parts Tolerances? (Car Seats) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
AnaMariaVR2 Sartorius launches device to cut and seal single-use tubes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Cut Edge Quality Specifications for Mild Steel Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
I Prove or disprove that a cube can be cut in 27 smaller cubes in less than 6 cuts Brain Teasers and Puzzles 14
A Customer Quality Complaint - Visual Defects from cut-to-length shear Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Marc Chrysler to cut 800 dealers on Thursday World News 1
A Normal Deviation - short cut/method to calculate sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering GM to cut 14% of global salaried workforce this year World News 0
bobdoering Nissan To Cut 20,000 Jobs World-Wide. World News 0
M Do Package Inserts Meet the FDA Definition of Cut Labeling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Stijloor GM to cut jobs, bonuses, and dividend World News 20
C Gage R&R @ 10% - Does that mean you should cut your tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S How can I die cut foam - I'm thinking of a simple hand machine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Ajit Basrur FDA warning on canned French Cut Green Beans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Z (Archived) Copyright - Cut and Paste Copyright Issues Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 46
Sidney Vianna ISO 14001 FAQ's Cut and Pasted from the ISO Site ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) Cut and Pasted from the ISO Site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
Marc Candy maker Hershey to cut jobs, send some manufacturing to Mexico World News 0
Marc Daimler may dump ailing Chrysler as 13,000 more jobs are cut World News 3
Marc DaimlerChrysler Plans to Cut 10,000 Jobs, Close Plants World News 4
Marc Reports say Chrysler will cut production to trim inventories World News 21
Sidney Vianna Fixing a Cut in a Leather Seat Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Chrysler to cut car prices in US World News 1
C How to Cut Invoicing Costs - Any thoughts? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
Marc Days After Worker Buyouts, GM to Cut Hundreds of Salaried Jobs World News 4
Marc More Job Cuts in the US - AT&T Inc. plans to cut up to 10,000 jobs World News 0
Marc Volkswagen to cut up to 20,000 workers at VW brand World News 1
T DaimlerChrysler says it will cut 6,000 administrative jobs over three years World News 2
Marc Ford to cut between 25,000 and 30,000 jobs in North America World News 8
Marc Kerkorian aide urges ailing GM to cut salaries (for low level US employees...) World News 1
Marc Ford to cut 4,000 jobs in North America as stock price continues fall World News 0
Marc DaimlerChrysler to Cut 8,500 Jobs in Germany to Revive Profit World News 1
Marc Predictive Maintenance? GM pitches "smart" cars to cut back on discounts World News 2