What is the difference between FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG) and VDA 4.2?

It Was I Who

SQA Supplier Quality Assurance Manager
Hi :)
is there anyone that knows what the diffirents inbetween VDA 4.2 and Potential Failure mode and effects analysis (Fourth edition AIAG) is?

The only thing that i have "heard" is that in VDA 4.2 they don't ask to see the FMEA
But in FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG)they do

And is there anyone who knows where to purchase an English copy?

Thanks in advance
Tommy

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
You are confusing to issues.

The submission of FMEA is a requirement of PPAP or VDA 2.

The general European feeling is that FMEAs are not submitted but rather a declaration that it has been performed.

The booklets describe how to perform FMEA

English versions of VDA books can be bought VDA QMC

The main difference are the ranking tables.

It Was I Who

- But accordinly to Ppap (Fourth Edition AIAG) at level 3 Ppap you are obligated to submit the FMEA's to the customer, but i don't know if that is requiered by the VDA ?

So if i understand you correctly the VDA 4.2 is only a description on how to preforme a FMEA? more or less as FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG)
Is there anyone that have the ranking tables, it would be great so i can make an comparisen inbetween them

Best regards Tommy

(And i can inform that the VDA 4.2 can't be bought, not in an english version anyway. I have asked)

T

TamTom

Hello,

as Howard mentioned before you mixing things, AIAG has a book for PPAP and one for FMEA as well as the VDA have, Folder 4 (no longer subdivided in booklets, but one total folder for all Quality Planning) and number 2 for the PPAP (Initial sample report as it is called here), there are only minor differences between the two requirements for PPAP of VDA and AIAG, both have different reporting levels and which you have to give the FMEA or not (Level 1, 3 or 5). As Howard also mentioned, depending on the parts you sell, it is "business use" that also if you have to report Level 3 you not send your FMEA in Europe, because you see it as know-how you don't want to share.

My advise for the FMEA is, forget the VDA tables, they are useless (as far as I remember the last issue), they just "BlaBla" (hope you understand that German word), they give really no hard facts what to do, the idea of VDA is, that you should have an experiences FMEA Moderator, that is able to set the right values. But unlike in the AiaG manual it doesn't give hard facts, like if you have only a visual inspection give a 8 for the detection. So you make no failure in using the AIAG FMEA manual, because it is more stringent and easier to follow.

And as far as I found out, because of the rework of booklet 4, it is at the moment not available in English language.

Regards,

TamTom

It Was I Who

Thank you Tam Tom i will follow the AIAG
I will make a remark in our CRD towards the customer on it aswell
(And i do understand the Bla Bla Bla im from Sweden, so it the same :) )

P

philstunell

The following SAE Paper may help you understand the difference between the AIAG and VDA standards (or leave you more confused):-
SAE paper 2011-01-2280
Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA): A comparison between the VDA Approach versus QS-9000 (Ford)
Available from papers.sae.org

R

RONQUILLO

Someone knows the classification of VDA for FMEA, for A, B, C and D and what?s mean those?

Top Bottom